Nine Killed, 65 Injured In Thai Highway Accident

webfact

Nine killed, 65 injured in Thai highway accident

Bangkok - A 10-wheel truck smashed into a bus for factory workers near Bangkok Monday, killing seven and injuring 65, police said.

Two more people were killed when a pickup truck that had stopped to get a better look at the accident was hit from behind by a speeding vehicle.

'This is a good warning against stopping to look at accidents,' Samut Sakorn Police Lieutenant Colonel Chaiyaphat Charoenwai told Thai TV.

The accident occurred early morning in Samut Sakorn province, west of Bangkok.

Police said the truck driver smashed into a lorry parked on the side of the highway to pick up the workers when he tried to overtake another vehicle.

The driver fled the scene, police said.

Source: http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/asiapacific/news/article_1630525.php/Nine-killed-65-injured-in-Thai-highway-accident

DPA Deutsche Presse-Agentur 2011-04-04

footer_n.gif

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

'This is a good warning against stopping to look at accidents,' Samut Sakorn Police Lieutenant Colonel Chaiyaphat Charoenwai told Thai TV.

More like a good warning to wear SEAT BELTS.

Do they ever do anything different?

"'This is a good warning against stopping to look at accidents,' Samut Sakorn Police Lieutenant Colonel Chaiyaphat Charoenwai told Thai TV.

Or maybe a good warning to LEARN HOW TO DRIVE!!.... seriously? warning to not stop for accidents but by default it is ok to go as fast as you want, change lanes with abandon, run away from an accident you caused, not follow any safely rules...etc. etc.?

I feel so bad for those workers. I say this in all honesty and because I drive these roads quite frequently and see in any given second accidents and death ready to happen.

Very sad...RIP

"'This is a good warning against stopping to look at accidents,' Samut Sakorn Police Lieutenant Colonel Chaiyaphat Charoenwai told Thai TV.

Or maybe a good warning to LEARN HOW TO DRIVE!!.... seriously? warning to not stop for accidents but by default it is ok to go as fast as you want, change lanes with abandon, run away from an accident you caused, not follow any safely rules...etc. etc.?

I feel so bad for those workers. I say this in all honesty and because I drive these roads quite frequently and see in any given second accidents and death ready to happen.

Very sad...RIP

Driver education, training and enforcement are definitely lacking. Too bad this type of thing still happens and especially with Songkran approaching. Families will unfortunately be burying their dead instead of celebrating the hliday.

Aah... SEAT BELTS would have helped them avaiod being hit from behind by a speeding motorist?

I'm missing something here.

We will read of these incidents again and again. It is about time that someone in power engaged their brain and started enforcing the laws, such as vehicle checks, driver checks, company checks and if they don't have Tachometers in the cabs, fit them. RIP the dead. Yet again.

jb1

Ten wheel truck drivers are amongst the worst in Thailand - particularly those driving without cargo. They have a lot of torque and try to intimidate smaller vehicles with their size. BIB should ensure that they do not drive in any lane except the leftmost - overtaking should be only in designated sections of the highway. :angry:

So sad... however so usual here... <_<

..."one can run from punishment, but there's no scape from guilt"... I hope justice it's done,

even though I understand how this won't bring back people missed by the families... RIP...

Do drivers of HGV vehicles have to have a special licence for such a vehicle? YES

Is it regulated?NO

Are companies with these HGV vehicles checked regularly for who their drivers are? NO

Nothing more to be said

Edited by KKvampire

The Hub of &lt;deleted&gt; drivers.

Some low paid factory workers on their way to work wiped out by some moron unable to overtake safely, families now left without income etc.

If the wagon was trying to overtake and hit the bus/van that was picking people up, was this van on the left, meaning the wagon was undertaking?

Won't the police find out who the driver was? After all, it was a big truck (10 wheels). Or is it that in Thailand, the truck owner does not keep track of who is driving his truck?

Funnily enough I know a director of a haulage company in Thailand and he reckons they tell their drivers to flee the scene of accidents so they can get their story straight and limit damage from criminal and civil lawsuits.

Fleeing the scene seems to be all too common in Thailand especially in the case of fatalities. That's those cultural flaws hampering progress again folks.

Aah... SEAT BELTS would have helped them avaiod being hit from behind by a speeding motorist?

definitly as they probably flew through the windshield...not from the first hit from behind but probably due to a crash on the sideroad....

It doesn't say which 2 died, if it was in the truck in front seatbelts wouldn't ve an effect as they would be pushed back into the seat rather than thrown forward, remember Newton's laws...

i see alot of people bitching and complaining about Thai drivers however what I find to be worse is the farang who do they same dumb shit. I understand that most local drivers have never been educated on rules of the road and basic safety, but the majority of expats have been trained and do what is right and wrong. Rather than succumb to mob mentality do the right thing because its the right thing to do.

Can happen anywhere,

I drive from Pattaya to Khon Kaen around 2 times a month and it is like playing a suicide game with a gun with 1 bullet and spin the chamber.

Is there a test for them to pass a heavy duty license I do not think so. These large trucks just pull out the moment they indicate and not indicate.

The bus coaches are very bad they just stay in the right hand lane and stuff anyone else and the mafia highway patrole do nothing, they stopped

me one time for overtaking 2 wagons on a dual road way I said through my Thai wife I was overtaking the trucks and he said I was only allowed

to take over 1 truck at a time and pull into the left lane and then I can take over the other one, I just laughed and gave him the 200baht.

Kiwi Ken

Police said the truck driver smashed into a lorry parked on the side of the highway to pick up the workers when he tried to overtake another vehicle.

So he was overtaking on the inside? A common and dangerous practice in Thailand, especially with speeding cars getting impatient with cars "only" doing 120kph.

Won't the police find out who the driver was? After all, it was a big truck (10 wheels). Or is it that in Thailand, the truck owner does not keep track of who is driving his truck?

Funnily enough I know a director of a haulage company in Thailand and he reckons they tell their drivers to flee the scene of accidents so they can get their story straight and limit damage from criminal and civil lawsuits.

Fleeing the scene seems to be all too common in Thailand especially in the case of fatalities. That's those cultural flaws hampering progress again folks.

I've heard the same a few times, also with coach drivers. The big companies are owned by 'influencial people' so even if the police bother to ask who was driving, they rarely get an answer.