Jets Skis In Phuket

coatesy

I looked into getting a boat here a while back and spoke to a few people that have, or had personaly owned boats.

Firstly, legally you can't operate a Thai flagged boat without a Thai captains licecne. Jet ski operators are allowed to rent to toursits because they, like every other nefarious business in Thailand, pays protection to operate.

Having said that, obviously lots of expats live here and have boats. I understand it's not impossible for an expat can get a Thai license, but since no one is really enforcing the law it's kind of like driving a car with no license. If you end up in an accident it can be big problems. Or if someone wants to make problem for you they can use that to do so. Which brings me to my next point.

And to echo and elaborate on the posters above, you will need to stick to the east coast and stay away from the west coast beach areas. The jet ski operators and other Thai's which operate on the water and rely on income from tourists don't respond well if it even appears a farang might somehow be circumventing them, or worse, providing a service which they exclusively maintain a monopoly to through force and fear. It is not uncommon to be questioned by Thai's if you are near their turf. One friend of mine had a longtail and was constantly questioned by Thai longtial operators especially when he was taking friends out on it. They sank his boat twice before he gave up. If you want to put in on north end of Kata Beach where the boats and jet ski operators do, I would find the head dude and get his blessing first, but expect it to cost some baht. Otherwise stick to the Boat Lagoon or Yacht Haven.

Good Luck.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

I knew a guy who had his own jet ski in Patong. BUT - he had to buy the jet ski from the Patong mafia and he had to pay them a monthly fee to ferry the ski from his house to the beach and launch/recover the jet ski each time. They sold him an old dud and it cost him a fortune in spare parts. He gave up in the end and gave it back to the mafia - for free. Not to be recommended.

I'm planning on getting a Superjet (stand up) soon (ish) They sell them here on the island. I will take it up and launch it at one of the quieter parts of Mai Khao beach. Failing that, there are hundreds of miles of deserted coastline that start the second you cross the sarasin bridge.

The posters above are right to a point, but you would have to be pretty stupid to launch, right under jetski operators noses. Use common sense and it won't be a problem. There's always more than one way to skin a cat.

Having said that, I have seen people launch at Layan beach without any obvious signs of trouble. Still, I will be heading further north for peace of mind. Anyway, for safety and enjoyment, it's good to get away from everybody else. For me, it doesn't get any better than your own deserted beach, as far as the eye can see, in all directions. :)

Still, I will be heading further north for peace of mind

Peace of mind for you perhaps, but not peace for us who live in this area and will have to put up with the noise of your jetski.

I make no apologies for hoping that the authorities stop you from using Mai Khao beach for your jetski activities

Simon

Firstly, legally you can't operate a Thai flagged boat without a Thai captains licecne. Jet ski operators are allowed to rent to toursits because they, like every other nefarious business in Thailand, pays protection to operate.

:sorry:

Absolute b#llocks I'm afraid.

Firstly it depends on the size of the boat in question and the size of the engine and a jet ski wouldn't come under that restriction and getting a boat license is as easy as getting a driving license. A friend has just bought a very nice speed boat and the price included a license and this guy has never driven a boat before :ermm: I had a 35ft speed boat and when just taking it out for myself and friends did not need to take the Thai captain. taking paying customers is a different matter and when taking paying customers the Thai captain always was in charge.

There are several guys here with there own jet ski's on Samui and they don't get any hassle.

Start renting it out and things may change but just you riding it shouldn't be a problem but then we are talking Phuket so ? :blink:

Still, I will be heading further north for peace of mind

Peace of mind for you perhaps, but not peace for us who live in this area and will have to put up with the noise of your jetski.

I make no apologies for hoping that the authorities stop you from using Mai Khao beach for your jetski activities

Simon

Don't be a silly boy Simon!

Are you telling me no matter where I were to ride off Mai Khao beach, you would be able to hear me??

Do you know how much noise PWC's make when they are off shore? Do you know how long Mai Khao beach is?

Unlike most people in this world, I don't think I'm the centre of the universe. I always take other people in to consideration no matter what I'm doing.

I assure you, that beach is plenty big enough for the two of us, and anyway, as I said, I prefer the beaches north of the island so would probably go there. Is that O.K with you?

Firstly it depends on the size of the boat in question and the size of the engine and a jet ski wouldn't come under that restriction and getting a boat license is as easy as getting a driving license. A friend has just bought a very nice speed boat and the price included a license and this guy has never driven a boat before :ermm: I had a 35ft speed boat and when just taking it out for myself and friends did not need to take the Thai captain. taking paying customers is a different matter and when taking paying customers the Thai captain always was in charge.

There are several guys here with there own jet ski's on Samui and they don't get any hassle.

Start renting it out and things may change but just you riding it shouldn't be a problem but then we are talking Phuket so ? :blink:

So many people let their imaginations get away from them. Yes we all know what some people on the island are capable of, but if common sense prevails, there is very rarely any need to get your knickers in a twist about the mafia.

am I missing something here, what is the big attraction of riding ( let alone owning) a jet ski that makes it worth the hassell and expense ?

What a ridiculous post!

Why don't you give us a list of things that interest you, then I can reply by saying 'What is the point of doing that'

Did you not know that we're all different?

am I missing something here, what is the big attraction of riding ( let alone owning) a jet ski that makes it worth the hassell and expense ?

yep u can get a boat liscence easier than a thai driving liscence. In other words the people that r forang that i know that have boats just handed ovber the registration of the boat and filled out the forms. wig and an ting anmd they were all legal. Obviously the boat or jet ski has to have the registration numbers on the side. like a car with number plate.

as for the mafia.If i knew someone was mafia then i dicide to do buisiness whos business is to rip peopple off rarther than going to a proper sho or even importing one. then well hate to say it but told u so.

As for buy a jet ski and not understand the popint in it then maybe u r missing th epoint.

the maintance is less than a big boat.

it is easy to launch and it can be very high pwoered and can do some distance and i think u could wake board off one but i am not sure but i imagine u could off a 700 cc or above. u can fish.

it is a light as anything and does not take up much storage a bit like a sea motor bike

any farang operating a Thai vessel needs a Thai lisence. any size. jet ski rentals just not enforced

OP, no problem on Kata Beach, but for peace of mind I would have a chat with the head poncho and perhaps pay them a couple of hundred to launch for you. Then you avoid seawater and sand on your vehicle at the same time :)

Firstly it depends on the size of the boat in question and the size of the engine and a jet ski wouldn't come under that restriction

Many many articles have been in the local press that maintain you do need a Thai skippers ticket to use a jetski as its a personal watercraft. The argument has been brought up over and over again as to why they should / could shut down the rentors.

So if <deleted> maybe want to take it up with them.

The online gazette classifieds has a shop selling a bunch of jet skis with prices and model year in the ad. Wasn't there a few years back talk of not allowing any new jet skis to be registered, and in fact, jet skis being fazed out as of the start of this month :).