Two Swedes Electrocuted In Krabi

webfact

Can you name the hotel?

Poor management.....

They should have made the ground (earth) system......

I need a good inspection for my shower too.............

I was really hoping to find out what hotel too. It would seem more than fair and actually appropriate to name them.

Nisa ...........

Or we can just assume the whole area is crap... and don't go there.

i have seen many cases similar to this with the locals too.

They died in a shower where the installation is bloody poor....

This is the 1st and won't be the last ......

I made a crack before that after the first death or two a hotel would kind of be forced to make sure all the units were in proper order but given the fact this could happen again in a month without us knowing it is the same hotel makes that an incorrect assumption if hotel management are sleazes..

I'm with you Nisa, would just like the name of the hotel.

Don't understand these other two posters, I've googled it and looked around the internet still can't find the name of the hotel.

For the poster who says to assume whole area is crap, please remember the word "assume" - to make an "ass" out of "u" and "me".

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to add: In the article the hotel-owner says he doesn't want the bodies flown to Sweden as then 'the truth of what they died of will never be known' [insinuating that Swedish authorities would fake the autopsy etc to blame him].

I forgot to add: In the article the hotel-owner says he doesn't want the bodies flown to Sweden as then 'the truth of what they died of will never be known' [insinuating that Swedish authorities would fake the autopsy etc to blame him].

Humm.. interesting but

Please can you add the link here?

I would like to read the original..thankz

Edited by dunkin2012

Thought I better say also that it is just as easy to give electricity a path through your body via your arms as it is your legs. For example, a person could be taking a shower without any problems, maybe even standing barefoot on the wet floor; then deciding that they want to adjust the drain pipe cover, they grab hold of the water knob or pipe with one hand to steady themselves as they bend down to move the floor drain cover, which happens to rest on a metal pipe that goes to ground. Or maybe they do the same thing but grab a metal sheathed water hose, as one poster has already mentioned. If there is electricity at the water knob, because of a faulty electrical situation, the person might be fine and not even know it is there. It could have been there for days and the person never has a problem, until the day that they use the knob to steady themselves and then touch one of these other points with their other hand. The electricity at the water knob may 'like' the path that the person just created, travel from one arm to the other and cause electrocution. This is just an example of something that could happen.

A followup article in Aftonbladet have the owner saying that it is 'impossible' that the couple died from electrocution.

Part of the defense being that others wasn't/haven't been killed... :rolleyes:

I think your comments are a bit unfair and misleading. Using Google translate he said:

Water heaters are further divided with one other room, and where people took a shower at the same time without getting any electric shock, "he told Aftonbladet.

The point really is that I think some people are getting too paranoid about this. If it is your home or condo then sure, take a peak or have somebody check if it is grounded properly but if you are in any kind of decent hotel I would only be concerned if the system is in the shower. Most half way decent hotels put the heating unit outside the shower such as under the sink as well as having a breaker that will blow if there is any short.

Also ... not sure if this is an international show but we have a show in the US called Myth Busters. They did an episode that showed running water (such as coming from a hose or shower or stream of urine) doesn't conduct electricity . I am not sure but would guess most pluming inside is PVC pipes and not copper or metal ... if true then risk of being shocked in a hotel with the unit outside the shower is about zero.

Agreed about the decent hotel part of your post. Regarding the Myth Busters, I didn't see it. It is known that normal fresh water is a conductor of electricity, or I should say that the non-water particles in the water are a conductor of electricity. A 20 minute study of the various websites on the subject should prove that to most peoples satisfaction.

When l built my place l told the builder l want 3 pin outlets and EVERYTHING earthed. They laughed and :rolleyes:, but after feeling my wrath it was done. I wired the electric showers myself and have the appropriate trip switches. :)

I had a place built in Korat. The earth spike in the ground was a piece of welding rod about 12" long bent over at one end with the earth wire wrapped around it a couple of times. I changed it for a piece of re-enforcing rod 36" long filed the rust off one end and bought a proper earthing clip and hammered it into the ground.

jb1

The hotel was actually a Bungalow style hotel.

Here is the link to the story from the Swedish Newspaper with quotes from the owner of the hotel.

http://www.aftonblad...icle12827071.ab

Nisa

"just another coincidence again"? Downton...

cheers .........

It's in Scan... but Googie might help......

Here is the Google translated article if anybody is having trouble.

Hotel owners: It was no shock

The two Swedes were killed in the shower - probably of a shock.

The hotel where the Swedes lost their lives to the police investigating the fatal accident detail

But hotel owners claim that there was something else that caused the tragic accident.

- It is impossible that there was electricity, "he told Aftonbladet.

The fatal accident occurred last Saturday in a bungalow hotel in the popular tourist resort of Krabi. The police are working on the theory that the shower water somehow became energized and that the two Swedes were killed by an electric shock.

But hotel owner, who was the one who tried to save the the Swedish couple, is adamant that it was not the electricity that killed them.

Found in the bathroom

- The only thing that is energized in the shower is a water heater. But the power can not cause two deaths. Water heaters are further divided with one other room, and where people took a shower at the same time without getting any electric shock, "he told Aftonbladet.

The hotel owner says he was alerted by the couple's friends on Saturday afternoon, local time.

- They ran out the front desk and yelled to the man and the woman was lifeless. When I came into the room I found them in the toilet.

"Man alive"

The woman was with water from the shower running over the body. The man was next and was alive.

None of them were under the hotelier, visible burns on the bodies.

- I concentrated on trying to save the man, because I saw he was breathing. He was still alive when the ambulance arrived.

The two Swedes were taken to hospital, but the death was declared when they arrived.

According to hotel owner has investigated the shower and water heater and found no errors.

He is now demanding that the police do a thorough investigation of the deaths and that the bodies are kept in Thailand because the necropsy.

- I'm very sorry that this could happen. But if the cells are transported to Sweden, we never find out what really happened, "said the man.

Swedish friends who were in the room next door when the accident occurred flying home from Bangkok today.

The point really is that I think some people are getting too paranoid about this. If it is your home or condo then sure, take a peak or have somebody check if it is grounded properly but if you are in any kind of decent hotel I would only be concerned if the system is in the shower. Most half way decent hotels put the heating unit outside the shower such as under the sink as well as having a breaker that will blow if there is any short.

Also ... not sure if this is an international show but we have a show in the US called Myth Busters. They did an episode that showed running water (such as coming from a hose or shower or stream of urine) doesn't conduct electricity . I am not sure but would guess most pluming inside is PVC pipes and not copper or metal ... if true then risk of being shocked in a hotel with the unit outside the shower is about zero.

Agreed about the decent hotel part of your post. Regarding the Myth Busters, I didn't see it. It is known that normal fresh water is a conductor of electricity, or I should say that the non-water particles in the water are a conductor of electricity. A 20 minute study of the various websites on the subject should prove that to most peoples satisfaction.

Just to be clear. It wasn't about water not being conductive but the fact that water coming out of a shower head is not a continuous stream of water except possibly when it initially comes out depending on the water pressure. Point being is I am fairly confident people getting zapped in the shower either touched something or the water they are standing in has become electrified.

stock-photo-water-flowing-in-the-shower-41126344.jpg

Edited by Nisa

When I moved into my new (rented) house, I tried to load the washing machine for the first time and immediately got an electric shock, realizing that it wasn't grounded. Have since made sure to have all electrical appliances properly grounded - even if it seemed that they already were. Not taking any chances. Even the electrician I called (a Thai, by the way) shook his head in disbelief and said he's surprised nobody has ever been electrocuted.

I once even saw a grounding cable fixed to a gas pipe running outside a house! Honestly!

In the UK all metal/copper pipes have to be cross bonded and earthed. The gas supply pipe has to be earth bonded, not more than a metre, from the gas meter. Also if the meter is removed for any reason you have to bridge the gap to provide an uninterrupted earth.

jb1

The friend who tried to assist them reseived electric chocks as well, but she hadent read Nisas posts so she probably didnt know any better.

Tiger

Actually this would tend to prove my point as the chances of the stream of water from the shower head to the floor containing a continuous charge is beyond comprehension. The water they were lying in had to be charged from another source than the shower stream.

Take a look 1:42 into the video and you will see even at a close distance using a 50k+ Volt Stun gun their water pistol lost almost all its charge.

Just to be clear. It wasn't about water not being conductive but the fact that water coming out of a shower head is not a continuous stream of water except possibly when it initially comes out depending on the water pressure. Point being is I am fairly confident people getting zapped in the shower either touched something or the water they are standing in has become electrified.

Yes, we are in agreement here. I would not expect electricity to travel via the stream leaving a shower head. At least not if the source of electricity was of the power normally associated with residential homes. I suppose if somehow a power companies electricity found its way into a residential home, say from a compromised high voltage cable, then that would be a different situation. Also, I am not saying that I believe it is a certainty that water played a part in this electrocution. It is certainly a possibilty though. Cheers

Edited by siamiam

To put the conductivity of water into perspective - Water's conductivity falls between the conductivity of a diamond and the conductivity of glass. This includes sea water, drinking water and de-ionized water.

http://en.wikipedia....nd_conductivity

Although this is considered low conductivity there is still risk - but very little - from the shower stream. Properly grounding your water heater certainly helps to prevent "charging" of the water stream and is certainly recommended. But if it isn't possible, then the ground fault interrupter in the water heating unit should protect the user from any harm.

For additional safety one can install a primary 30 amp gfi circuit breaker in line with the water heater. This helps ensure that an equipment malfunction in the water heater will not end in catastrophe. This is very easy to do and should cost less than 1,000 baht complete inclusive of the electrician. (Set price first is always recommended).

The most serious hazard in the shower are other paths to ground. With copper pipes this was a serious danger but with most everyone using PVC nowadays the piping is much less of a problem. To be safe make sure your shower space has no paths to ground other than the electrical supply to your water heater. That way the electricity will not "want" to go through you to get to ground which is it's natural tendency. Certainly check all metal and other conductors that you can touch while in the shower - including the drain. If you don't know how to do that make sure that any inspection you have made checks this for you. If a path to ground is found get rid of it.

No other power circuits should be within reach in the shower area. This includes lighting - both switches and bulb housings should be out of reach of anyone taking a shower.

The only really scary problem is when wires become shorted out of sight (behind walls etc.) and get in contact with something conductive. This can be any power feed having nothing to do with the water heater. Again, checking all metal and other conductors that you can touch while in the shower as stated above should turn up this extremely dangerous situation.

If you are showering in an "unknown-untested" hotel or accommodation keep alert for possible paths to ground and avoid them! Shower safe!

Here is the link to the story from the Swedish Newspaper with quotes from the owner of the hotel.

Nisa

cheers .........

The fatal accident occurred last Saturday in a bungalow hotel in the popular tourist resort of Krabi.

Which bungalow hotel anybody?

I regularly stay at Ao Nang Village Bungalows across from McDonalds, hopefully not that one.

Nisa

cheers .........

The fatal accident occurred last Saturday in a bungalow hotel in the popular tourist resort of Krabi.

I regularly stay at Ao Nang Village Bungalows across from McDonalds, hopefully not that one.

Its common knowledge in Ao nang ,which bungalow hotel it is,Ao nangs a small place,where everybody likes to gossip,My heart goes out for their families and friends, RIP.

There's a follow up story in the Swedish Newspaper Aftonbladet about other tourist having similar experiences at the same hotel.

http://www.aftonblad...icle12832440.ab

The story appears to be about two separate tourists and both did NOT stay at the hotel in the OP. Although they both got shocked neither died and one actually was shocked from a whirlpool in Phucket but for some reason didn't feel the incident worthy of reporting to the hotel even though she says the shock caused her to fly back a meter and cause permanent damage to her arm .

Nisa

cheers .........

Don't worry not that one.

This makes me so mad I want to punch myself in the face repeatedly. A job I was on put me up in a nice hotel in Phuket and when I went to use the shower I got a hard shock just touching the tap. When I went to complain angrily they truly did not understand my anger. I'm telling you all this now, if you suddenly never see another post on this forum from me its because I've been murdered by Thailands incompetence and laziness. Call it racist but its just the goddamn truth.

Make sure a proper electrician install your unit. (Yes, that is harder arranging than one would think.)

I think a lot are self taught backyard operators. Do they actually have appreticeship training and actually go to qualified trade schools? Normally takes about 4 yrs for a tradesman to fully qualify and then they are issued with acreditation papers. I have to agree with most on here also the idea and logic of earthing seems non existent.

RIP to the victims but sadly they are not the 1st to die in such a way in hotels and will not be the last. It seems lessons from past tragedies are definately not being learnt or it is just the old coincidence theory that is so very common in Thailand.

Its common knowledge in Ao nang ,which bungalow hotel it is,Ao nangs a small place,where everybody likes to gossip,My heart goes out for their families and friends, RIP.

o.k............................so would someone with that common knowledge like to impart which freakin bungalow outfit please?

A few months ago I found that my shower would only run cold. The shower is around on year old and it's a good brand name. I decided to try to get it fixed by a local electrician (That came highly recommended by the locals) and the picture shows the result.

He worked on the shower and got it running hot, so I paid him and off he went. I was watching the TV and all of a sudden the room very quickly filled with black acrid smoke. I ran and turned off the power at the mains switch.

My wife was gardening at the time and it was her intention to test the shower when she had finished. Thank god it set on fire or things could have been much worse. Hire a Thai electrician at your peril.

post-35173-0-13591700-1302001951_thumb.j

A few months ago I found that my shower would only run cold. The shower is around on year old and it's a good brand name. I decided to try to get it fixed by a local electrician (That came highly recommended by the locals) and the picture shows the result.

He worked on the shower and got it running hot, so I paid him and off he went. I was watching the TV and all of a sudden the room very quickly filled with black acrid smoke. I ran and turned off the power at the mains switch.

My wife was gardening at the time and it was her intention to test the shower when she had finished. Thank god it set on fire or things could have been much worse. Hire a Thai electrician at your peril.

it looks scary ...

find a good one and stick with him.... next time...

you were just out of luck...

make no peril..

In that pic for a start the heater is far to low, it should be up high well above the water outlet.