A Day In Pattaya In Search Of An Air Card

After reading many posts on this subject (search for author "Jiu Jitsu" to see several detailed replies) I set out on a mini adventure.

In one day (Tues) I went to Tesco N Pattaya, Tuk Com and Central Festival (twice). At my last stop, fairly tired, frustrated and thirsty, I paid 1000 THB for a 2G card with 600 minutes. Yes. I know. Very slow. But I wanted to see how slow. Result: For very basic emails and web searching it is usable. The price was ok considering Sun Tan lotion, Mouthwash, Shampoo, Conditioner is 500 THB.

I resigned myself that if I am living in Jomtien (View Talay Villas which is at the very end of Soi 5) 2G is the best short of WIFI Hotspot or heaven-forbid:wired at home! I think this is a true statement based on location.

Some added info: TRUE (tesco) had a card but would not sell me a monthly package because I am just on a Tourist Visa. Didn't matter cause 3G is not where I am to live. DTAC (tesco) was out of Air Cards for at least two weeks. I never saw an IFOX 510 or 820 in any of my stops. EVERYONE had the AIS 3G (but not at the 850 setting only 900). Again, didn't matter as AIS 3G is not in my area.

Any last words?

I believe I did the best I could given the situation. I have been living in Tokyo and Hong Kong for the last few years and I now see how lucky I was in terms of 3G....And wired in TK is amazing......700MB bit torrent in 30 minutes (a well seeded one like Star Wars episode III).

Over and out!

Yeah and in Belgium you can now get 100 mbps wired internet access for 99 EUR/m. But this is Thailand <_<

Did you check out Hutch? Supposedly they have half-decent aircard support in Pattaya. They used to have a shop on Pattaya Tai, near Tukcom, but I haven't looked for it for a long time so I don't know if it's still there. Maybe someone else has more info.

Yeah and in Belgium you can now get 100 mbps wired internet access for 99 EUR/m. But this is Thailand <_<

Did you check out Hutch? Supposedly they have half-decent aircard support in Pattaya. They used to have a shop on Pattaya Tai, near Tukcom, but I haven't looked for it for a long time so I don't know if it's still there. Maybe someone else has more info.

True purchased Hutch. Look for TRUE's 3G coverage in Pattaya/Chom Tien to improve shortly.

"I resigned myself that if I am living in Jomtien (View Talay Villas which is at the very end of Soi 5) 2G is the best short of WIFI Hotspot or heaven-forbid:wired at home! I think this is a true statement based on location."

There is a long-range wifi setup on the top of one of the tall condos in Jomtien. Cant remember the name of the service off-hand (something like "Alice's wifi") but there are ads on the noticeboard in front of Foodmart. I know someone who was using it from VT3 very successfully, with a large antenna that they sell in Tukcom.

Edited by Darrel

From OP:

Some added info: TRUE (tesco) had a card but would not sell me a monthly package because I am just on a Tourist Visa. Didn't matter cause 3G is not where I am to live.

Really? I get solid, fast (usually around 2Mbps) True 3G service all around Jomtien and Pattaya with my iPhone4. Or, are you not planning to stay in Jomtien long-term?

"I resigned myself that if I am living in Jomtien (View Talay Villas which is at the very end of Soi 5) 2G is the best short of WIFI Hotspot or heaven-forbid:wired at home! I think this is a true statement based on location."

There is a long-range wifi setup on the top of one of the tall condos in Jomtien. Cant remember the name of the service off-hand (something like "Alice's wifi") but there are ads on the noticeboard in front of Foodmart. I know someone who was using it from VT3 very successfully, with a large antenna that they sell in Tukcom.

Cools. When I go to Tukcom what exactly do I ask for eg "Hello! I am looking for an Antenna that boosts WIFI signals?"......

Q: Is this small? Something that goes outside?

Thanks!

From OP:

Some added info: TRUE (tesco) had a card but would not sell me a monthly package because I am just on a Tourist Visa. Didn't matter cause 3G is not where I am to live.

Really? I get solid, fast (usually around 2Mbps) True 3G service all around Jomtien and Pattaya with my iPhone4. Or, are you not planning to stay in Jomtien long-term?

Yes. I have friend that just said the same thing. So, I will try, again, to go to Tesco and ask for a True Aircard and a pay-as-you-go package......

PS: I am planning on a minimum 3 month stay and I am willing to pay $ to get 3G......

Thanks!