Phuket Taxis Blockade Luxury Cruise Ship Passengers From Disembarking

webfact

cheers well done jolly good show here here

Its totally absurd. can anyone imagine a convention ship full of business salesmen packing into a ragtag convoy of delapidated ripoff tuk tuks heading off to the convention venue for a dinner and entertainment......each vehicle seperately negotiated .....................

idiots all

They're not Tuk-Tuks. They are not even a symbol of Thailand. They're like Bedford Rascal vans that are really hard to get in and out of if you're old or a bit large.

They are not worth a w***!

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before you use your own car, you have to negotiate with the local taxi authority and give them their income.

Don't give them any ideas. This is certainly how they would like it. In fact if they were to read this, they would state "that's what I'm talking about"

After traveling to Thailand from the USA for 4 of the past 5 years, I am DONE with the scams.

No more Thailand for me! On my last trip a hotel manager told me I owed him an extra 2000 baht because I "broke" a drawer in the night stand. (it was jammed shut and I never used it)

I refused to pay, and insisted he call the police to settle the dispute. The police arrived, took in the story, then issued the verdict....yes I broke the drawer. I owe the manager 2000 baht, plus I owe the police another 2000 for settling the dispute! When I refused I was threatened with going to "monkey house" to calm down. I gave the police 1000 baht for his trouble and made up my mind to NEVER return. I will miss the scams, and especially the raw sewage smell in the streets. World-class tourist destination???

Give me a break

Please give the name of the hotel. Without facts, this is hearsay only. Publish facts and it will hit the scammers where it hurts.

Would those who don't like being in Thailand kindly leave and go somewhere else and bitch

That took longer than expected. :D

Hi Bruce you like the Sydney Harbour deal - OK thats the price? Get it in there! Is that what all the fuss is about? be quick! C'mon!

Nothing in this 4th world country changes expect for more corruption, more vote buying, more coups, more violence in the south.

And more Farangs willing to live here and spend money here, Farangs who complain like crazy, yet stay in Thailand regardless.

Look at from the Thai point of view, why change a formula that works, and it obviously works, or all the complainers on ThaiVisa would be posting from outside Thailand.

Yet they're not. smile.gif

Not posting from Phuket either...

Obviously works? This country is not in working order. But to be clear - it is not the farangs who suffer from the mismanagement - it is the locals.

I can't be arsed to read through this entire thread. Did anyone throw out the "another nail in the coffin of Thai tourism" comment? Been hearing this since 1989. In 1989 my German colleague, who had travelled through Thailand since the 70s, warned me about rip offs etc when visiting Thailand so we are now talking 50 years. Nothing will change, that is obvious. Uneducated Thai men have only 2 options. Become a labourer and stay poor, or go with the flow and rip off all and sundry as a policeman, tuk-tuk driver, taxi driver, tout, jet ski operator. In this country the women study and work hard. The men loaf and intimidate.

After traveling to Thailand from the USA for 4 of the past 5 years, I am DONE with the scams.

No more Thailand for me! On my last trip a hotel manager told me I owed him an extra 2000 baht because I "broke" a drawer in the night stand. (it was jammed shut and I never used it)

I refused to pay, and insisted he call the police to settle the dispute. The police arrived, took in the story, then issued the verdict....yes I broke the drawer. I owe the manager 2000 baht, plus I owe the police another 2000 for settling the dispute! When I refused I was threatened with going to "monkey house" to calm down. I gave the police 1000 baht for his trouble and made up my mind to NEVER return. I will miss the scams, and especially the raw sewage smell in the streets. World-class tourist destination???

Give me a break

Please give the name of the hotel. Without facts, this is hearsay only. Publish facts and it will hit the scammers where it hurts.

No 'naming and shaming' allowed on Thai Visa, only 'naming and praising'... ;)

Can The Thai Government start up a web site so we can send our complaints and tell us they are Listening to us

It really seems a waste of time how every tourist and expat voice theIr opinions but nothing is heard.

There needs to be some way to have our complaints heard TAT has not proven to be the answer.

If there is Government official out there reading this thread please reply and let us know :)

Edited by saintofsilence

Would those who don't like being in Thailand kindly leave and go somewhere else and bitch

If you don't like the thread, you don't have to read it!

We see only one posting sharing your thoughts,

but the majority of the people are sharing their frustrations,

and opinions and that's what this thread is for.

If we make any difference by doing so....

well the jury is out on the issue.

The point is, it's our right to express, share, and be informed,

so hopefully it doesn't happen to others.

Your probably one of those guys that when you ask how do you get this done in Thailand,

or prevent this from happening,

and you tell them they must learn for themselves,

you're not interested in them learning from your experiences, yeah?

If you don't like the thread, you don't have to read it!

We see only one posting sharing your thoughts,

but the majority of the people are sharing their frustrations,

and opinions and that's what this thread is for.

If we make any difference by doing so....

well the jury is out on the issue.

The point is, it's our right to express, share, and be informed,

so hopefully it doesn't happen to others.

Your probably one of those guys that when you ask how do you get this done in Thailand,

or prevent this from happening,

and you tell them they must learn for themselves,

you're not interested in them learning from your experiences, yeah?

Many Thais (but certainly not the majority) have a lot to lose if the scams come to an end. There's a whole trickle up economy at stake; an endless cycle of poverty and debt for the workers who make profits for the business owners who in turn have to pay the landlords and police to do business. And all of this being done in the domain of the local politicians/influential families (who are most probably landowners too) and who have a team of thugs extorting tourists.

It's a pity to see these leaders continue to milk off their own beloved Thai people and not want to improve the lives of the majority or allow visitors to their country to have a truly memorable stay. Whose karma?

When people start telling you leave a place when you want to improve things, you know you've hit a nerve. They're just protecting their criminal activities.

Can The Thai Government start up a web site so we can send our complaints and tell us they are Listening to us

It really seems a waste of time how every tourist and expat voice theIr opinions but nothing is heard.

There needs to be some way to have our complaints heard TAT has not proven to be the answer.

If there is Government official out there reading this thread please reply and let us know

The TAT government official is at the top of scam so wouldn't do anything about it. Please understand this.

Bankoklight excellent post, your post indicates you "get it" many do not and will never do so.

"The TAT government official is at the top of scam so wouldn't do anything about it. Please understand this."

Difficult, if not impossible for most to understand that things are this screwed up in Thailand.

Edited by alstaxi

A Classic Boring answer to those that don't have the nerve to complain about being ripped off,

Keep wearing the Rose TInted sunglasses,one day you may see through them.

But highly doubtful!

Edited by MAJIC

i feel sorry for the next batch of unsuspecting cruise ship customers....

why on earth would these tourists want to ride around in a hot windy noisy unsafe tuk tuk driven by a rude obnoxious money-grubbing driver?

most short-time tourists will probably want to see the sights comfortably and safely in an air conditioned van, perhaps with a courteous tour guide explaining the sights.

i'm spending my songkran in chiang mai, where i can get anywhere in a songteaow for about 20 baht.

phuket? haha, what a joke... i hope the russian mafia boots out the tuktuk mafia and their boss...

Bankoklight excellent post, your post indicates you "get it" many do not and will never do so.

"The TAT government official is at the top of scam so wouldn't do anything about it. Please understand this."

Difficult, if not impossible for most to understand that things are this screwed up in Thailand.

I've lived here for 11 years, and just when I think I have figured things out,

especially how to avoid getting tripped up, there seems to be something new that comes along;

like this blockade for the cruise ship, who would of ever guessed that the locals would of showed so blatantly their jealously

for another company just providing service for their customers, yes taking business from another, who really made the customers choice easy.

It's just important to stay informed as the Thai officials love to do when tourist do something wrong, then they are so proud to say how bad we are.

I have just heard so much noise lately about how bad Samui is and how much better Phuket is, and though Samui has it share of problems it can't even play in the same field as Phuket. We have also heard a lot about Pattaya as well, and yet it is nothing compared to Phuket. But we heard mostly about Pattaya because it was the foreigners that were causing the trouble. We all understand that this is not our country, and in comparison that's a good thing, and why most of us are here. But it doesn't mean that we need to turn a blind eye to being scammed, when it can be avoided. Though the Thai government won't do anything about fixing the problems their own people make, we can at least effect the result of their actions by avoiding the area where the problems are high, as I did, and just moved out of Katu. Thailand as a whole is better than my country, and I'm grateful for that, but it's not paradise either, it's just the stop inbetween, to wherever paradise lies???

The TAT government official is at the top of scam so wouldn't do anything about it. Please understand this.

I have no reason to doubt you that the TAT government official is at the top that explains a whole lot to me they have never answered an email about The jet ski scam and if you call them they say call the tourist police , the tourist police have been involved in the jet ski scam in Pattaya.

Time to get rid of TAT. :angry:

I cant wait for thai government to allow only meter taxi in phuket or something like that, most taxi and tuktuk in phuket are insanely unfriendly and overpriced and definitly a reason why tourist might not want to come back to phuket. They rather sit all day long doing nothing than lower their prices even in low season.

I simply cannot understand the thinking that two 400 baht fares is better than ten 100 baht fares.

It will a strange sight when all the tuk tuks are metered. They'll never be used but that's another problem...

Just another reason not to visit Phuket.

Been there once and refuse to go back the whole place is a rip off from the mafia tuk tuk drivers to the jet ski cons.

Phuket is becoming the joke of Thailand the sooner someone does something about it the better.

Can't agree more! Been there done it ,not again!

I wonder - Do these `gentlemen` perhaps genuinely feel their demands are fair and reasonable? They know after all each and every white man is rolling in it,just look how much a plane ticket costs.

Maybe they think 200 Baht for a few metres is fraction of what it would cost in the West.

Anyone?

Maybe they think 200 Baht for a few metres is fraction of what it would cost in the West.

Anyone?

Last time I took a taxi in New York, it was $2,50 for the first 1/8th mile then thirty five cents for each 1/8th of a mile after that. That would be under $5 (150 baht) for a two mile journey in a $40,000 automobile by a tax paying licensed driver with air con blowing and meter ticking away.

Phuket? Two miles in a dirty, dangerous $1,000 open air vehicle that was last cleaned when it rained, by a driver jabbering away on a cell phone who has no respect for life or limb let alone comfort. 300 baht.

Yeah, seems fair.

Okay. I apologize. I should have done my research BEFORE I posted especially since it's been a while since I was in NYC.

I just found an article date January, 2011 in the Wall Street Journal. "Under the proposal, the first sixth of a mile would cost $3, and each sixth of a mile after that would cost 40 cents. Now, the first fifth of a mile costs $2.50 and each subsequent fifth of a mile costs 40 cents" My brief tour of researching did not discover if the new fares had been approved.

But my point was still true: At the higher rate, a two mile trip in NTC is still only gonna cost you only around 170 baht.

I wonder - Do these `gentlemen` perhaps genuinely feel their demands are fair and reasonable? They know after all each and every white man is rolling in it,just look how much a plane ticket costs.

Anyone?

Would you pay 10 dollars to drive two blocks on the back of a three-wheeled scooter at break neck speed with no seat belt by a maniac who thinks an array of used CDs stuck over the licence plate can deflect a ten ton truck and all things evil, and with an engine belching out carbon monoxide into your lungs and onto your holiday best?

It is a joke !!!!!

Who is running the island ?? The taxis or the goverment ???

Of course all can book a tour company to pickup guests at the harbor, or i will suggest that all tour companies block Bangla, as they want half the customers going home !!

*** the taxis on Phuket !

I have a feeling that you knew the answer to that question when you posted.

Personally, I recommend friends and acquaintances to skip Phuket. Tuk Tuks are a big part of the reason.

I think the cruise ship should have put everybody back on board and sailed off, then give twice as long at the next stop. The US navy should have done the same. Let the people of the island watch their livelihood sail away, and maybe they will do what the Governor can't.

It's unbelievable that the tuk tuk drivers can get away with it every time. It has happened a lot over the past few years. As far as i remember these tuk tuks and taxis used to block one luxurious hotel because they were not happy with the fact that that hotel offered free transportation to its customers. It's crazy i dont understand why the laws are not enforced here.

We need to start doing something guys! We need to take action! We need to e-mail the big hotels, the cruise liners, the respectable tour operators. We need to tell them that the tuk tuk and taxi mafia are jeopardising the wellbeing of tourists with their unsavory practices. We need to make them understand that this will affect their business and that of everyone working and living on the island. Let's go! We can't let these small men push us around anymore! We're good people!

One can talk of boycotts and of avoiding, but the fact remains that tourists get into those tuk tuks every day and pay the asking price. If there wasn't a demand for the services, there wouldn't be any tuk tuks, right? Some of the tricked out tuk tuks can cost 1million baht and it is not unusual to have a 400,000 haht cost for a basic tuk tuk. The owners have to pay for that investment as soon as possible. No hotel is going to risk having a confrontation and will just steer clear of the issue. The fact of the matter is that the tuk tuk problem is at its worst in the Kalim to Kata strip, with the epicentre Patong. If the major retailers gave a sh*t, do you think the taxi scum would be allowed to crawl all over Jungceylon or to occupy prime parking space in front of some the hottest outlets or main hotels? A place like Graceland in Patong can keep them out since it is walled. The Marriott Courtyard cannot.