Import Or Buy In Thailand?

RickThai

Hello All,

I plan on moving to Thailand in the next year or two and I was wondering if anyone had any experience in importing a scooter or motorcycle into Thailand.

As a minimum, I would look at buying something around 150cc. If economically smart (as to cost of importing), I might get a motorcycle of 650cc or so. I used to have a cruiser and really enjoy having a little more power.

Also has anyone ever imported an ATV? I have a 1995 Honda Foreman 400, that I would like to bring over and give to my brother-in-law (he has a farm).

What are your recommendations and or experiences?

Thanks

Rick

Recommendation : work yourself through this forum and you will get all the answers,because all this is covered a thousand times

But to make it short: dont even think about import anything,100% import tax and thats not even the big problem.

New scooters are dirt cheap,around 1000 to 1500 Euro

Kawasaki is building bikes here so a 650 goes around 250000 baht,around 6000 Euros.

If you have more questions,use the search function!!

Recommendation : work yourself through this forum and you will get all the answers,because all this is covered a thousand times

But to make it short: dont even think about import anything,100% import tax and thats not even the big problem.

!!

No one pays the 100% import tax :rolleyes:

Only reason you would want to import is if you cant find a that model in Thailand or you got a really good buy on one else where. Dont import yourself as it is full of traps for first timers but is possible.

Best bet if you must import is go to a large bike shopshop that has a import licence and get them to arrange everything.

Edited by Shocktreatment

!!

Only reason you would want to import is if you cant find a that model in Thailand or you got a really good buy on one else where. Dont import yourself as it is full of traps for first timers but is possible.

Best bet if you must import is go to a large bike shopshop that has a import licence and get them to arrange everything.

You are a smart guy!

But what people do or not doesnt change the import tax!

And then your advice is to go to a large bikeshop and let them arrange everything.............for the money this all will cost you can buy 2 new ATVs in thailand!Promise!!

If you really just want to ride around between the ricepaddies somewhere up country,ship it in in parts and reasemble it here by yourself.

Thanks for the comments helpful or not.

Actually I had looked around some forums for this topic, but I found the information confusing and contradictory. One poster (Bangkok Post forum I think), stated that importing a motorcycle was the way to go. Other posts (the majority) seemed to think it too expensive. That is why I solicited the information from anyone who may have actually done it.

The gist of the comments seem to idicate that it is too much hassle and too expensive. Therefore, I will go ahead and sell my ATV and wait and buy a bike when I move to Thailand.

Rick

Thanks for the comments helpful or not.

Actually I had looked around some forums for this topic, but I found the information confusing and contradictory. One poster (Bangkok Post forum I think), stated that importing a motorcycle was the way to go. Other posts (the majority) seemed to think it too expensive. That is why I solicited the information from anyone who may have actually done it.

The gist of the comments seem to idicate that it is too much hassle and too expensive. Therefore, I will go ahead and sell my ATV and wait and buy a bike when I move to Thailand.

Rick

Thats the right decision!

!!

You are a smart guy!

But what people do or not doesnt change the import tax!

And then your advice is to go to a large bikeshop and let them arrange everything.............for the money this all will cost you can buy 2 new ATVs in thailand!Promise!!

If you really just want to ride around between the ricepaddies somewhere up country,ship it in in parts and reasemble it here by yourself.

Ok I read it again and see it was just the ATV he was talking about importing for around a farm yes, just buy it here.

Of course it matters how you import it, ship it in one piece by DHL and see how you go.

I never paid 100% import tax ?

Still waiting on the book but it is coming.

Ok I read it again and see it was just the ATV he was talking about importing for around a farm yes, just buy it here.

Of course it matters how you import it, ship it in one piece by DHL and see how you go.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Sorry, but those are the famous last words......be sure and let us know when it arrives

Edited by Netfan

Sorry, but those are the famous last words......be sure and let us know when it arrives

Not he first bike I have had to get a book for and really isnt a big deal but is costly and takes time, if you dont want to send the bike to Bangkok and do the imission test and crap you need to pay more.

I guess you got ripped of by the local somchai down the road :lol:

yeah,i didnt want to say it,so thx you did it for me! laugh.gif

yeah,i didnt want to say it,so thx you did it for me! laugh.gif

so you got had as well or is it a bar stool story, I only know of some bike shops that closed and left a few books out standing many years ago. I have never had a problem getting books and even if there is a probablem with paper work, money can fix all. :D

I guess you guys just deal with the wong people :lol:

First a ATV is for the Thai law not a motorcycle. Second, you probably not need to pay so much import duty. The closest classification to Thai rules and regulations will put a ATV in the same group as a farm tractor.

For importing farming equipment we talking about complete different import duties. For some sections of motorist farming equipment qualifies even in the ASEAN – Japanese free trade agreement.

Your best contact a professional cargo company who has a person who is qualified to do custom clearing, he or she can tell you everything about what, how and the cost you should expect...