Songran Pattaya

deejah

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... only today and tomorrow left. How's it going out there? Has it been rough? I've been keeping away from it this year - I have a goal not to get splashed even once.

A friend of mine was staying in Soi 8 until Saturday and I was surprised when he told me that the police had been preventing night time waterworks.

Well... only today and tomorrow left. How's it going out there? Has it been rough? I've been keeping away from it this year - I have a goal not to get splashed even once.

A friend of mine was staying in Soi 8 until Saturday and I was surprised when he told me that the police had been preventing night time waterworks.

I have managed to stay dry for the most part, but i havnt strayed far from Pratamnak for the past week. Had a couple of minor squirtings from young thai kids opposite family mart which i dont mind at all. Warm water, small water pistols, young local kids having fun in the right spirit of the festival. As it should be. Ventured into town last night for a meal with some friends who are over on holiday. On the way home on a baht bus just before midnight on the beach road just past soi 8 received a full load of iced water from a high pressure gun. I saw it coming and ducked but my friend and his wife copped the lot. One of the usual suspects, overweight, tattooed, wife beater vest, face like a smacked arse etc. Such a contrast from the thai kids at Pratamnak. And at midnight! Quality tourists!

I hope the police also confiscated their idiot sticks as well. BTW, It is hardly whinging when these morons cause accidents,injuries and more.

Edited by dananderson

Yes the police confiscated a lot of " tube type water pump guns" today on Beach road incl mine, he-he. Still great fun for my wife and me got splashed all the way back to our house in North Pattaya. One stupid tourist on Beach road on a bike wanted to fight everybody when he got drenched, the man must be living on another Planet, how stupid can you be.

Tomorrow is the real big water splashing day in Patts, so will go out for the finale. Thank Buddha it is one year to the next one, LOL.

I live on 2nd Road near Central and I have stayed completely dry so far. I do this by making sure that I am home by midday, and then not going out on the streets until after 7pm.

Tomorrow may be a little trickier but at least it is the last day.

"I hope the police also confiscated their idiot sticks as well"

It would be better if the police would follow the water cannon confiscation with a heavy fine and at least one night behind bars - as a deterrence to the illegal activity.

As it is now, they probably sell the weapon back to the vendor for half price, so it can be recycled to another knuckle-dragging Neanderthal . . . :o . . . [ TiT ]

Songkran celebrants on Beach Road

neanderthal3.jpg

neanderthal2_43183t.jpg

I live on 2nd Road near Central and I have stayed completely dry so far. I do this by making sure that I am home by midday, and then not going out on the streets until after 7pm.

Tomorrow may be a little trickier but at least it is the last day.

They were out throwing water at 3:30am this morning along Pratumnak, 2nd and 3rd Roads. Nearly spoiled my goal of not getting wet over Songkran as I dodged some of these f***k**ts. One group were running hoses into the middle of the road. I had to aim my motorcycle directly at him to avoid getting wet.

Edited by tropo

I had to aim my motorcycle directly at him to avoid getting wet.

You certainly run a greater risk of being soaked on a motorbike or baht-bus.

When I was having supper on a small soi near Soi Buakow at around 8pm yesterday evening, the massage parlour girls and kids opposite were still targeting any and every motorbike that went past, but hardly any pedestrians. After eating, I walked straight by (on the opposite side of the narrow soi admittedly) without incident. Another farang wearing a smart white shirt was not so lucky, and boy was he annoyed! "<deleted> you!", he shouted. "<deleted> you back!", shouted the girls and kids.

Not quite the pleasant water sprinkling ceremony that the Thai Tourist Authority likes to make out that it is. It wasnt like that 20 years ago.

I had to aim my motorcycle directly at him to avoid getting wet.

You certainly run a greater risk of being soaked on a motorbike or baht-bus.

When I was having supper on a small soi near Soi Buakow at around 8pm yesterday evening, the massage parlour girls and kids opposite were still targeting any and every motorbike that went past, but hardly any pedestrians. After eating, I walked straight by (on the opposite side of the narrow soi admittedly) without incident. Another farang wearing a smart white shirt was not so lucky, and boy was he annoyed! "<deleted> you!", he shouted. "<deleted> you back!", shouted the girls and kids.

Not quite the pleasant water sprinkling ceremony that the Thai Tourist Authority likes to make out that it is. It wasnt like that 20 years ago.

My 1st Songkran in Pattaya was early 90's and it's the same now. Maybe it was worse then as the water throwing went on very late most nights for the whole period and the Police didn't bother trying to stop it.

It has been a giant water-fight for at least half a century and their are plenty of old pictures to prove it.

Well, it certainly didnt seem the same to me. I quite liked it 20 years ago. Living about 50 yards from where I live now I had no trouble at all going out for a meal in the evening back then. Tonight I have no chance (I'm glad I got the over-rice takeaways earlier!).

Only 3 hours left, thank heavens.

Well, it certainly didnt seem the same to me. I quite liked it 20 years ago. Living about 50 yards from where I live now I had no trouble at all going out for a meal in the evening back then. Tonight I have no chance (I'm glad I got the over-rice takeaways earlier!).

Only 3 hours left, thank heavens.

They're still at it at 9pm? Where do you live?

Yeah some f*wit tried to spray me when I was heading out last night around 10pm (farang of course) until I threatened him with physical harm and he decided to back off.

Nearly everyone else had packed it in but there were still the odd few people continuing on.

You never gonne believe this but today,Wednesday 20 April when I left from home just before lunch time,I passed a pick up truck on Soi Khao Talo.In the back of that truck were 5 Thai people,adults mid thirty's with their flower shirts on,and in the middle of them was an oil old oil barrel filled with water and they had a plastic bowl in their hand to pour water.:bah: :bah:

recap

i left pat tues the 12 before noon

i was pleasantly surprised

no incidence soi boouy cow, pat klang and suk

so folks

looking back

when did it begin

around soi bou cow and pat klang?

did they generally start tuesday the 12 or wed the 13?

and about how early did they start

thanks much

You never gonne believe this but today,Wednesday 20 April when I left from home just before lunch time,I passed a pick up truck on Soi Khao Talo.In the back of that truck were 5 Thai people,adults mid thirty's with their flower shirts on,and in the middle of them was an oil old oil barrel filled with water and they had a plastic bowl in their hand to pour water.:bah: :bah:

They be heading for Bang Saray, i saw a few heading that direction today for the final blast!

They be heading for Bang Saray, i saw a few heading that direction today for the final blast!

As far as my knowledge goes pattaya was always the final blast on the 19th.So now Ban Saray takes the crown on the twentieth.Wat it gonne be next year,one more on 21 and the year after that another one on 22?

Why not extend it straight away to a full month of water throwing.

As far as my knowledge goes pattaya was always the final blast on the 19th.So now Ban Saray takes the crown on the twentieth.Wat it gonne be next year,one more on 21 and the year after that another one on 22?

Why not extend it straight away to a full month of water throwing.

Bang Saray has always been the day after the Pattaya final squirt for as long as i can remember, but i dont know of any later than that?

"I wouldn't put it past them that in years to come it would continue on to 21st Sattahip then 22nd Rayong"

At least that would be a plus for Pattaya - as long as the die-hard neanderthal morons have somewhere to go after wreaking havoc in sin city . . . :o

Sad thread for people who dont like fun

There is having fun and having fun...8 days of water throwing is an absolute pain in the asre......ok if you dont work orare on holiday but try going about your daily business.....having to sit in an air con office all day with soaking wet clothes aint fun.....one day is enough!!!

Everyones idea of fun is different,

like ESB7 said, 8 days of water throwing in Pattaya is ridiculous when you have to go about your

daily life.

1 or 2 days like the rest of the country is no problem at all for me, you can join in if you want, or stay indoors,

but thats not possible for 8 days.

There is having fun and having fun...8 days of water throwing is an absolute pain in the asre......ok if you dont work orare on holiday but try going about your daily business.....having to sit in an air con office all day with soaking wet clothes aint fun.....one day is enough!!!

As a solution you could always solicit for a job with this company

http://nude-house.com/ not sure though if they have branches in Pattaya yet.

"Depends how you define fun. Spoiling other peoples' day (or 8 days) is not my idea of fun. I rather regard it as anti-social"

The untold story behind the smiles in the Land-of-Smiles is the covert hostility that some Thais ( and some Farangs ) have toward foreigners. Songkran gives them the license to act out their covert hostility by throwing a bucket of sewer-water and white powder in the face of a Farang and laugh it off.

In any other country or city on the planet, it would definitely be considered "anti-social" and would be dealt with accordingly. Buckets of sewer water and illegal water-cannons that can drench a Baht-bus full of innocent non-participants going about their daily business, doesn't fall under any definition of "fun" -- unless you're a seriously mentally-deranged person.

Personally, I like the idea of a "New York City test" -- try it there and see what happens . . . :blink: