Thailand Seizes 1,800 Monitor Lizards

webfact

Thailand seizes 1,800 monitor lizards

BANGKOK, April 8, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand said on Friday it had made its largest-ever seizure of monitor lizards after finding more than 2,000 of the reptiles being smuggled in a convoy of pick-up trucks heading for the capital.

The live Bengal monitors were found in plastic baskets on the back of three vehicles when they were stopped by authorities in Prachuap Khiri Khan province, south of Bangkok, on Thursday.

Customs officials, who put the estimated street value of the reptiles at 1.8 million baht ($60,000), said officials believe they were destined for Chinese customers.

"They are from Malaysia and transported through southern Thailand and northeastern Laos to China for eating," said Seree Thaijongrak, head of the customs investigation and suppression bureau.

"We knew there was a monitor lizard racket... this time it's the largest seizure ever," he said.

Wildlife anti-trafficking organisation Freeland said monitor lizards are protected by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) and are threatened with extinction.

International trade in the reptiles is banned and they are protected under Thai and Malaysian law.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-04-08

The monitor lizard is a beautiful, harmless reptile

and tasty too apparantly....:rolleyes:

Well the Chinese probably eat its penis while it's still alive for good health.

Anyway, what are they going to do with them now, put in lumphini park, or sell them on when no one's looking?

Whilst monitor lizards are not the friendliest or most liked creatures, they are stunning in colour and appearance. Seems sad they were destined for the tables of China. But there most likely will be very little if any fine and checking back to the bad guys to nail their asses.

I have seen 3-4 in the last week one was sunning itself off the back deck. I also know someone who was chased down the road in Koh Phangan by one. Seems they are pretty much all over the area.

Once. It was easy see a big one crossing your road everywhere. Now is a far more difficult occurrence :(.

A couple of spot in Thong Nai Pan where there are several monitor lizards

Edited by angiud

what are they going to do with them now, put in lumphini park

actually some of the Water Monitors in Lumphini are officially culled on an annual basis (or at least, when they get too large to be of concern & to keep the numbers down..)

of course, 'culled' probably means... caught & then sold to whoever...

i like to see them there, awesome reptiles.

So sad news destroy the nature of South East Asia for greed and for the funny strange cravings of some rich Chinese

The monitor lizard is a beautiful, harmless reptile

i wish i had a picture of the shoe who's upper leather a monitor lizard slashed with his razor sharp teeth (Nigeria 1983, size of lizard ~ 160cm).