Gome

The_Moog

No 'gomes', not 'gnomes'

Felix Lynn was talking about lonely unkempt gomes on the show. Losers who come to Thailand and dress in beachwear in the middle of Bangkok due to the heat.

Funny idea of beach wear, jeans and a checkered shirt.

Own up, who's seen a farang in swimming trunks walking along Sukumwit? I know I have.

I think that 'gome' may be short for 'gomer' which is an American slang for an obnoxious and unsophisticated clod...usually also means odd and out dated clothing...it was a word for 'geek' before computers made geeks rich and acceptable. By the way, the term 'geek' originally meant a carnival side show performer whose act was to do gross things....and what I was taught was that specifically it meant someone who bit the head off of live chickens.

I think that 'gome' may be short for 'gomer' which is an American slang for an obnoxious and unsophisticated clod...

That's what I was thinking too. Isn't it derived from Gomer Pyle? Really a bit of a naive and "rated G" hay-seed, more than being obnoxious.

Not to go completely off topic, but do any other Americans listen to that show for a minute and get confused mental images of Jerry Garcia and Lenny with a dead mouse in his pocket? I cannot put my finger on it, but it was not comfortable listening for very long.

I think that 'gome' may be short for 'gomer' which is an American slang for an obnoxious and unsophisticated clod...

That's what I was thinking too. Isn't it derived from Gomer Pyle? Really a bit of a naive and "rated G" hay-seed, more than being obnoxious.

Not to go completely off topic, but do any other Americans listen to that show for a minute and get confused mental images of Jerry Garcia and Lenny with a dead mouse in his pocket? I cannot put my finger on it, but it was not comfortable listening for very long.

I don't know which came first, the gomer or the Pyle.