Congratulations!

cmjantje

After visiting Plaza yesterday I felt the need to write the positive things about the Plaza.

First of all Congratulations with your opening and thank you for landing in Chiang Rai. We absolutely needed a place like this.

I am wheelchaired and never got so much help as at Plaza. They even have an elevator. We went to Tops, a beautiful shop and may peng like some of you stated. Yes the imported stuff is expensive but even if you compare with prices at home they are reasonable. No shop filling like use half a rack for coffee mate as in Big C. No, people have been thinking about this, to give the clients as much variety as possible in the, BTW Beautiful, store. My eyes popped out seeing all these very nice goodies and within 20 minutes my basket was overflowing. I am very happy with this shop!

Robinson: Finally quality clothes, shoes etc at affordable prices. Not the scratch and dump stores like Edison and Big C. And all in my size too!

I could not visit everything because my wife started to droop so wait till after Sonkran and go there again.

A place like this has adapted opening times. This is a shop merely for the rich and the retirees, they don't get up at 5 AM, besides that, name me 1 decent store in CR that opens at 5??

Great place! Again... my congratulations!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good point on the wheelchair facilities Cmjante. must be a godsend :)

And yes, I had my eye on a few quality items myself, but it still baffles me that I can buy then online from the UK and get them cheaper even with the postage and import tax's on top. :unsure:

especially when they are probably made in Asia too.

I'm not Rich or a pensioner myself but I do tend to need less sleep thesedays, so its definately too late an opening for me. Although not being Rich or a pensioner I guess I'm irrelevant :(

I guess your speaking about the 'Idle Rich' :D

Agree about the wheelchair facilities except for one thing... or maybe two. There is currently no dedicated wheelchair parking and they told me that is because they did not think there were many people in CR with wheelchairs. I need it as I have tho be able to ener my vehicle with a wheelchair so needs space on the right hand side and space at the back for my lift/ Also the security had no idea where to go and took me to 5 non accessible doors before I got to one I could use. I now know where to go but a little signage and training would help.

Of course it takes time for people to realise that people in wheelchairs can drive and manage by themselves without having to be driven everywhere or left at home as it is too dificult. I was a little disapointedas i know how good Central is in regard to access generally ans is Tesco and in its newer stores BigC.

Edited by harrry

Just trying to get the shopping basket out front to the truck, had us thinking the mall must be a nightmare for those in wheelchairs. Glad to hear that it is not that bad.

Here is a photo I took the first time there and a link to what I wrote about it on my blog with a couple more pictures. :)

Central++002.jpg

Yes it is nice to have an additional place to shop , rather than the tired stores we have been used to .

I enjoyed browsing around all the shops and cinema area.

I did feel that the parking was limited. The area for motorbikes was very small and crammed in so tight it was hard for people to park or get out.

The car parking area was full as well with people being blocked in and having to wait for other shoppers to return before they could maneuver themselves out.

As for the Robinson department , same as Bangkok, expensive in my opinion .

In the Tops Store, it was nice to see many different items for sale , mostly from England , Oz, Italy and some German stuff as well . Prices for fruit and veg was expensive, I cant see many Thais buying tomatoes for 79bht a small punnet , regardless of where they are from . English Cod and Haddock , 800 bht for a small box , maybe containing 2 fillets. The Scottish kippers at 200 bht but weigh next to nothing . Marmite 250 bht.

There was PG Tips T-bags , Plain and milk chocolate digestive biscuits 119bht per pack and Ginger Nuts at 109 bht I think.Pataks Curry sauces 179 bht per jar but well worth buying if you like Vindaloo curries, poppadoms etc all there for sale .

The Cheese section was expensive but we know all about cheese prices here.

The fresh Meat section had French Fillet of Beef at 1,350 bht per KG.

I spotted quite a few foreigners in Tops , none actually spoke in passing and I didnt know them , but what I did notice that nearly all that I observed were commenting to their wives how expensive things were and looking at their baskets none were buying very much.

Many people I know are on limited budgets so I dont think we will be using too often other than to get the odd luxury when desperation creeps in .Overall , very nice.

I agree about the dedicated parking Harry, we found two spaces by the lifts in the middle of complex that have w. chair only parking, but couldn't find any more than that. But- aside from that - Central seems to have done well. We did a recce before taking our 'user' and found three lots of lifts that are big enough for w.chairs of any size and manoeuverability room as well! So you can turn around and face outwards once you're inside. The disabled loos are nice and roomy too. The aisles in Robinsons aren't too close together either. So it gets my family's thumbs up.

Agree about the wheelchair facilities except for one thing... or maybe two. There is currently no dedicated wheelchair parking and they told me that is because they did not think there were many people in CR with wheelchairs. I need it as I have tho be able to ener my vehicle with a wheelchair so needs space on the right hand side and space at the back for my lift/ Also the security had no idea where to go and took me to 5 non accessible doors before I got to one I could use. I now know where to go but a little signage and training would help.

Of course it takes time for people to realise that people in wheelchairs can drive and manage by themselves without having to be driven everywhere or left at home as it is too dificult. I was a little disapointedas i know how good Central is in regard to access generally ans is Tesco and in its newer stores BigC.

I agree about the dedicated parking Harry, we found two spaces by the lifts in the middle of complex that have w. chair only parking, but couldn't find any more than that. But- aside from that - Central seems to have done well. We did a recce before taking our 'user' and found three lots of lifts that are big enough for w.chairs of any size and manoeuverability room as well! So you can turn around and face outwards once you're inside. The disabled loos are nice and roomy too. The aisles in Robinsons aren't too close together either. So it gets my family's thumbs up.

Glad to hear that harsu. When I was there there was no dedicated parking as the duty manager said they did not think they would need it here. He said they would put two next to the lift and aparently has. Good on them. People respond well here when need is pointed out. Big C responded well when I pointed out the disabled toilet was just an ordinary one...they converted it as well as they could in 3 weeks. Better response than companies in Australia.

Edited by harrry

I agree they have done a fantastic job, especially when you consider how quickly they built it.

I didn't go first day, but went second and have been back a few times since then and apart from parking, its a pleasure. A great place to take your daily exercise, eat and/or entertain the kids

To people commenting on how expensive things are in Tops, I would ask when the last time you went supermarket shopping in your home country?

I also have "felt" Thailand getting more expensive for food shopping with every passing year, but I spent a little time back in the UK last month for the first time in about 2 years and was shocked at the prices there also. Quality food is expensive, quality imported food will always be more expensive. I don't think Tops have overpriced things, the margin on these items is likely to be similar to local produce for them but what they have is a vastly reduced market and with so many people not biting at those prices, don't expect them to continue stocking these exotic items indefinitely.

I am sure you wrote before you thought, saying that people in wheelchairs "can manage by themselves.........". I am also sure you know that many have to be driven to places and pushed around there, because they are paralyzed from the neck down. The reason I am replying to your post is not to fault you sir, but to ask your help. I have a good Thai friend, a young man in his early twenties with a wife and baby, who was paralyzed about 3 months ago, and the doctors say that he will never walk again. I have seen his X-Rays and know this to be a fact, since I myself early in life had a similar injury from which I eventually recovered. They say as well that he will be lucky if he will ever be able to do much more than talk, move his head, and shrug his shoulders. He must wear a diaper and use a catheter - a truly sad situation. He is getting a little extremely weak elbow movement now, and I am hoping he will eventually get most of the use of his full arm and wrist (extremely doubtful his hands and fingers). If he could ever be able to move his whole arm, he could be rigged up to manipulate the switch on a motorized wheelchair.

Therefore my question is, do you or any of you others in wheelchairs, know if there is a place in this area where a new or used motorized wheelchair might be found, and about what they cost?

Yes it is nice to have an additional place to shop , rather than the tired stores we have been used to .

I did feel that the parking was limited. The area for motorbikes was very small and crammed in so tight it was hard for people to park or get out.

The car parking area was full as well with people being blocked in and having to wait for other shoppers to return before they could maneuver themselves out.

In the Tops Store, it was nice to see many different items for sale , mostly from England , Oz, Italy and some German stuff as well . Prices for fruit and veg was expensive, I cant see many Thais buying tomatoes for 79bht a small punnet , regardless of where they are from . English Cod and Haddock , 800 bht for a small box , maybe containing 2 fillets. The Scottish kippers at 200 bht but weigh next to nothing . Marmite 250 bht.

There was PG Tips T-bags , Plain and milk chocolate digestive biscuits 119bht per pack and Ginger Nuts at 109 bht I think.Pataks Curry sauces 179 bht per jar but well worth buying if you like Vindaloo curries, poppadoms etc all there for sale .

I spotted quite a few foreigners in Tops , none actually spoke in passing and I didnt know them , but what I did notice that nearly all that I observed were commenting to their wives how expensive things were and looking at their baskets none were buying very much.

Many people I know are on limited budgets so I dont think we will be using too often other than to get the odd luxury when desperation creeps in .Overall , very nice.

What concerned me was every foreigner I have seen there and there were s**loads everytime I have gone, has been a septic. Whats going on?? Family loads both all western with multitudes of kids plus Thai extended families but still a septic leading the pack. Where are they all coming from?? Someone shake a tree? They must be expecting a Wal Mart and specials??

I love central because it provides more variety. Expensive? Everything I bought was exactly the same price as Bangkok & Chiang Mai and if you relate margin to the market it is reasonable. No I cant buy it cheaper by post.

Yes by going overseas I can buy these half dozen (that equates to 6 for some of you) items which are my only addiction and which I cater to for a few dollar saving but the flight costs and luggage allowance dictates against it. Sure beats going to Bangkok or Chiang Mai and stocking up but hey if people did not have things to whinge about they would find something more dangerous.

What concerned me was every foreigner I have seen there and there were s**loads everytime I have gone, has been a septic. Whats going on?? Family loads both all western with multitudes of kids plus Thai extended families but still a septic leading the pack. Where are they all coming from?? Someone shake a tree? They must be expecting a Wal Mart and specials??

I love central because it provides more variety. Expensive? Everything I bought was exactly the same price as Bangkok & Chiang Mai and if you relate margin to the market it is reasonable. No I cant buy it cheaper by post.

Yes by going overseas I can buy these half dozen (that equates to 6 for some of you) items which are my only addiction and which I cater to for a few dollar saving but the flight costs and luggage allowance dictates against it. Sure beats going to Bangkok or Chiang Mai and stocking up but hey if people did not have things to whinge about they would find something more dangerous.

Tell us more about these septic farangs Raylo. :( Was it some sort of visual rot .? Are we witnessing a Plague similar to the black Death of medieval times ? maybe a Zombie type thing going on !? .... How did you manage to remain un-septic ? :rolleyes:

Edited by jubby

Tell us more about these septic farangs Raylo. :( Was it some sort of visual rot .? Are we witnessing a Plague similar to the black Death of medieval times ? maybe a Zombie type thing going on !? .... How did you manage to remain un-septic ? :rolleyes:

Even though you are sidetracking the OP focus which related to Central. I must congratulate you on excellent analogies Jubby. Good choice.

Black death and the plague very apt. Zombies definitely. Enough of them for movie extras at least.

I dont think you can catch this type of septicemia unless you have a green card.

However just in case you are truly ignorant of common English rhyming slang (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhyming_slang) and popular descriptions:

The Arabs call them The Great Satan or Crusaders (even though they did not attend the crusade as they were not around at the time)

The Poms call them Yanks (always playing with something maybe??)

Aussies call them septics (as in septic tanks rhymes with Yanks and (septics of course) are full of S**t)

Anyway Jubbs someone with your intellect can always soldier on.

Even though you are sidetracking the OP focus which related to Central. I must congratulate you on excellent analogies Jubby. Good choice.

Black death and the plague very apt. Zombies definitely. Enough of them for movie extras at least.

I dont think you can catch this type of septicemia unless you have a green card.

However just in case you are truly ignorant of common English rhyming slang (http://en.wikipedia....i/Rhyming_slang) and popular descriptions:

The Arabs call them The Great Satan or Crusaders (even though they did not attend the crusade as they were not around at the time)

The Poms call them Yanks (always playing with something maybe??)

Aussies call them septics (as in septic tanks rhymes with Yanks and (septics of course) are full of S**t)

Anyway Jubbs someone with your intellect can always soldier on.

As much as I know I will regret it. Are you saying there are too many of us Yanks at Central. How do you spot us. A unique talent I assume B)

As usual I watched the thread just to find out who is thinking what.

I am glad the majority agrees with me complete or in a way.

The people who think or say: ÿeah but it does Not have this, I miss that, too expensive" etc. I can advise: GO BACK FROM WHERE YOU CAME FROM! More choice, better prices.. name it, you got it.

I still believe that the Small Chiang Rai, as it is, should jump a hole in the air to get a beautiful mall like CP.

Look what you see, not what you cannot

Listen to what you hear. not what you don't

Buy what you need, not what you want.

Ask yourself what you have, not what you don't have

Be happy, live and let.

As usual I watched the thread just to find out who is thinking what.

I am glad the majority agrees with me complete or in a way.

The people who think or say: ÿeah but it does Not have this, I miss that, too expensive" etc. I can advise: GO BACK FROM WHERE YOU CAME FROM! More choice, better prices.. name it, you got it.

I still believe that the Small Chiang Rai, as it is, should jump a hole in the air to get a beautiful mall like CP.

Look what you see, not what you cannot

Listen to what you hear. not what you don't

Buy what you need, not what you want.

Ask yourself what you have, not what you don't have

Be happy, live and let.

Exactly

As much as I know I will regret it. Are you saying there are too many of us Yanks at Central. How do you spot us. A unique talent I assume B)

I have been to Central a couple of times now and also noticed a seemingly large proportion of Americans, with families and also by themselves.

I guess a lot are coming out of the woodwork to check the new place out (like myself who doesn't get into town very often).

It was easy to spot the ones I noticed because they were usually talking really loudly. B)

There may have been more Americans I was not aware because they are either quiet talkers or were eating when I was near them.

One thing I really like about Central is the computer stores. Makes it really easy to shop around between stores for what I want and and compare prices.

And agree that the eye candy there is of a higher standard (or maybe just more concentrated) than elsewhere in CR :D

Edited by Riggi

Raylo,

That's a lot of whinging for an antiseptic. Hope you're feeling better now.

Bahnhof

Raylo,

Bahnhof

I suppose we all have different experiences; you don't hear Yanks or whatever whingeing so much . yeah, Brits are up there with the best. Second only to one nation .

Honestly, I found mostly Aussie's in Central on the day I went.

Double Cheeseburger without Cheese, not laughed so much in ages. :)

maybe the septics got an invite too :whistling:

Edited by jubby

I couldnt tell if any were American when I was shopping , everyone more or less looks the same , its only when Americans open their mouths that EVERYONE knows where they are from :D. I didnt single anyone out especially the YANKS.

There are so many foreigners living here now its hard to tell who the tourists are and who are not.

Raylo,

Bahnhof

I suppose we all have different experiences; you don't hear Yanks or whatever whingeing so much . yeah, Brits are up there with the best. Second only to one nation .

thank god for google {whingeing)B)

All I know, is that when I breakout my best Julie Andrews impersonation, and start singing about my favorite things, I’ll have to find a way to include our new mall in there.

As for the whingers who complain of things being too expensive, I think what they really mean is that they cannot afford much of what is on offer. As previously stated the prices are not different from other comparable shopping venues in Thailand.

Ones personal finical status is not really the fault or responsibility of the mall.

Raylo,

Bahnhof

No whinging no antiseptism. Read the post above yours for an independent confirmation.

Ask a simple question, maybe shake afew trees and see what falls. With you who knows maybe lessons in reading and comprehension are in order??

All I know, is that when I breakout my best Julie Andrews impersonation, and start singing about my favorite things, I’ll have to find a way to include our new mall in there.

As for the whingers who complain of things being too expensive, I think what they really mean is that they cannot afford much of what is on offer. As previously stated the prices are not different from other comparable shopping venues in Thailand.

Ones personal finical status is not really the fault or responsibility of the mall.

Thank you.

I especially look forward to your rendition of "My Favourite Things". Maybe a few whingers could start busking so they could afford to buy something inside??

Heaven forbid.

I have been to Central three times now. Have yet to hear an inappropriately raised voice. Meet one American and all the rest were Brits or Aussies. Maybe a sensitivity issue :D

Nothing inappropriately loud. Just what I overheard without straining. Got better things to do. Just the twangs caught my ear. I have to admit the thought of duelling banjos crossed my mind for some reason??

Raylo,

Bahnhof

Well just got back from Chiang Rai and Phaya Meng Rai hence the number of consecutive posts. This time I drove by but did not go into Central. Had the windows up as well so I did not hear anything. Maybe it was not the tyres at the U -turn but Bahnhof squealing??

As to whinging I honestly dont think any nationality can always claim the number one spot though in Oz Brits are rated that way. Here I think it is a mixed group of " too expensive and not the way it should be done etc etc" that as was posted earlier should go and take CMJ's (I think it was )advice.

You are very good on examples and analogies - love the cheeseburger one - I get a kick out of most of them but not champagne.