Elec. Retractable Mirrors On Fortuner

Cheops

Hi All,

I have a 1st generation Toyota Fortuner and would like to know if it's possible to exchange the mirrors to be the same as the current model Fortuner, being electrical retractable? Of course when you ask the Toyota dealer they tell "not possible", but probably they don't even know it like usual :)

Any info is welcome.

Ask this guy at SimplyCoolShop.com or e-mail Khun Kittitat //removed// dyi kit 1,100bt includes ems. agree with you about Toyota if you need to add or change something they don't have a clue.

Edited by Tywais
e-mail removed as per forum rules

Ask this guy at SimplyCoolShop.com or e-mail Khun Kittitat //removed// dyi kit 1,100bt includes ems. agree with you about Toyota if you need to add or change something they don't have a clue.

Got them on my Fortuner. Had it for 20 month's and never used them after the first time as once you retract them you cant see what's coming when you open the door. Just push them back once you have parked. Different if they were remote control.

Got them on my Fortuner. Had it for 20 month's and never used them after the first time as once you retract them you cant see what's coming when you open the door. Just push them back once you have parked. Different if they were remote control.

John, that kit can only be fitted if your mirrors are already electric/motorised - it only controls the switchgear.

Fredob43, they are remote control if that's how you set them up - you have a lot of different settings and options and one of them is to have them retract automatically when you lock the car and open automatically when you unlock it, using the remote. Yours, presumably, are set up to retract when you turn off the engine and open when you start the engine. If you don't have the instructions or you can't understand them contact SCS as above and they'll talk you through it on the phone while you do it.

Cheops, yes it is possible if you know how to fit and wire them; on the other hand, if you knew how to you probably wouldn't be asking here! Try a breakers for an old set from a Fortuner or Vigo and they'll probably know someone who can fit them for you.

John, that kit can only be fitted if your mirrors are already electric/motorised - it only controls the switchgear.

Fredob43, they are remote control if that's how you set them up - you have a lot of different settings and options and one of them is to have them retract automatically when you lock the car and open automatically when you unlock it, using the remote. Yours, presumably, are set up to retract when you turn off the engine and open when you start the engine. If you don't have the instructions or you can't understand them contact SCS as above and they'll talk you through it on the phone while you do it.

Cheops, yes it is possible if you know how to fit and wire them; on the other hand, if you knew how to you probably wouldn't be asking here! Try a breakers for an old set from a Fortuner or Vigo and they'll probably know someone who can fit them for you.

Thanks for all the replies.

@ John: thanks for the link! But LeCharivari is indeed correct. You need to have already mirrors which can elec. retract. This shop sells only some set with microprocessor to have some more functions for the mirror.

@ LeCharivari: well, I'm an electronics engineer, so the wiring and fitting isn't a problem. But up to know I didn't find some aftermarket retrac. mirrors, hence my question on this forum, because a lot of knowledgable people here :)

Thank's for that but mine only retract when you have it switched on and that's by the press of a button. But going to look at the book now to see if it will work another way. But I dont think so. I'll make another post if it dose, or does'nt as the case maybe.

..never used them after the first time as once you retract them you cant see what's coming when you open the door. Just push them back once you have parked. Different if they were remote control.

You should always look over your shoulder anyway. In a reverse park car-park slot not always needed though.

Edited by Digitalbanana

LeChav.

Right looked in the book, and it say's Engine must be in ACC or ON, push the button and they will retract push again to open.

Went to Toyota's and they cant do it any other way. Can be done but not by them, you have to have a compleatly new set up sensor ect but has to work from second remote. Well that's what Toyota say but what do they know. Have got a very good motor electric shop here going to give it a try after the holiday. It's got me going anyway. Update later.

Fredob, you quoted John 1's post about the kit from Simply Cool Shop in your post so I assumed that was what you were talking about. Check the SCS site given and you will find that their kit does exactly what you want (using the factory remote/key). There was a thread about these here last year.

Cheops, no offence!:jap: I'm not that knowledgeable (in fact not at all knowledgeable!) but I've never seen an after market set/kit either. Originals from Toyota would be quite expensive, but I'm sure if you tried some scrap yards you should be able to get a set for a Fortuner or Vigo quite cheaply and fitting them should be far easier for you than it would be for me.

LeChav.

Right looked in the book, and it say's Engine must be in ACC or ON, push the button and they will retract push again to open.

Went to Toyota's and they cant do it any other way. Can be done but not by them, you have to have a compleatly new set up sensor ect but has to work from second remote. Well that's what Toyota say but what do they know. Have got a very good motor electric shop here going to give it a try after the holiday. It's got me going anyway. Update later.

I v got them on my 2010 Vigo, and they work only when key is in. Which is just fine as I only use them when passing is tight, and never retract them while parked. Wouldnt dare to open my door without checking the mirror first :unsure:

Fredob, you quoted John 1's post about the kit from Simply Cool Shop in your post so I assumed that was what you were talking about. Check the SCS site given and you will find that their kit does exactly what you want (using the factory remote/key). There was a thread about these here last year.

Cheops, no offence!:jap: I'm not that knowledgeable (in fact not at all knowledgeable!) but I've never seen an after market set/kit either. Originals from Toyota would be quite expensive, but I'm sure if you tried some scrap yards you should be able to get a set for a Fortuner or Vigo quite cheaply and fitting them should be far easier for you than it would be for me.

Yes thank's for that. Have looked at their web site and low and behold it's there. See what do Toyota know. Have sent tham an email about same expect a return of same after the holiday. Once again Many thank's.

Yes thank's for that. Have looked at their web site and low and behold it's there. See what do Toyota know. Have sent tham an email about same expect a return of same after the holiday. Once again Many thank's.

Update on mirror's went to my shop today as not got reply from S/Cool. Yes they had the part 1,300bt fixed. Took them 10 min: to do. Now fold away when remote locking activated. Open when ignition is turned on. Will still work as before useing the button. To all involved with reply's thank's a bunch. A very happy bunny. What would us dick head's do without you.

Fredob so what was the part or from who any numbers to order from

At the moment dont know will go tomorrow and find out. Have the warranty card Read's Automatic business group co., ltd, ABT up grade side mirror (mcr-Toyota) all the rest in Thai. They showed me the box, goodies, but didn't pay attention, as I go there all the time. Never a problem, if there is "once" bit of an oxymoron, they just put on a new part. Edited by fredob43

Fredob so what was the part or from who any numbers to order from

At the moment dont know will go tomorrow and find out. Have the warranty card Read's Automatic business group co., ltd, ABT up grade side mirror (mcr-Toyota) all the rest in Thai. They showed me the box, goodies, but didn't pay attention, as I go there all the time. Never a problem, if there is "once" bit of an oxymoron, they just put on a new part.

Just googled....... automatic business group co.,ltd abt up grade:side mirror (mcr-toyota)..... and it's all there if you cant find or want more info ask. Will just save's me a trip. Best of luck. Edited by fredob43

Fredob thanks for the info I've now found it on the web if my local guy can't get I can order direct from Bkk. this turned out to be a good thread. next item is auto unlock and push button start I know have in Bkk but I need to see before order

Fredob thanks for the info I've now found it on the web if my local guy can't get I can order direct from Bkk. this turned out to be a good thread. next item is auto unlock and push button start I know have in Bkk but I need to see before order

When you find out re auto unlock/Button please stick another post in to clue us all up. When they fixed the part I did notice that one or two wire's had to be solderd. Still only took 10Min: though.

Regard's Fred.

Edited by fredob43

What I was meaning about auto unlock is the RFID keyless entry and push button start it's about 15,000bt in Bkk for a Fortuner. As I'm not in Bkk cant go to look but some other members might be able to comment.

John please keep us updated. Loved the keyless entry and start on my 2007 Camry, never had to use the remote when aproaching car. Would like to have it on pickup

What I was meaning about auto unlock is the RFID keyless entry and push button start it's about 15,000bt in Bkk for a Fortuner. As I'm not in Bkk cant go to look but some other members might be able to comment.

John, Any web site who sell it???.

For Cheop's asked at my place yesterday if there was any way to convert mirror's to electric reply NO. But they could fit new type take's about 1.5 hour's so they say "Read 2+hour's" thank's for starting the thread. Hope you have some success.

This site in Bkk gave the price at 15,000 WWW.SVAUTOSHOP.COM you will see engine stop start. Looking further a field and getting a reply from WWW.ADVANCEDKEYS.COM there product looks good but no agent in Thai doesn't mean no one selling here. Let us know if you find more info of help to us.

This site in Bkk gave the price at 15,000 WWW.SVAUTOSHOP.COM you will see engine stop start. Looking further a field and getting a reply from WWW.ADVANCEDKEYS.COM there product looks good but no agent in Thai doesn't mean no one selling here. Let us know if you find more info of help to us.

Off to Chang Rai tomorrow/next day. Will go to my shop and ask about all after the weekend. Update if I find out anything. Thank's for the email address's very useful.

Fred.

Off to Chang Rai tomorrow/next day. Will go to my shop and ask about all after the weekend. Update if I find out anything. Thank's for the email address's very useful.

Fred.

C/R 21st, so went to shop today they knew all about it but cant get the part from the peep's they use. Look's like it's BKK or nothing. Sorry first time they have let me down. Told them it was 15,000bt they nearly had a heart attack. For me to go there fuel hotel + Bit's close on 20K might give that one a miss. Still give us update might change my mind.

John please keep us updated. Loved the keyless entry and start on my 2007 Camry, never had to use the remote when aproaching car. Would like to have it on pickup

Officially (according to Toyota, etc) there have been very few problems with keyless entry/auto-lock, but according to some sales staff that I know the reality is a different story and there have been a number of reported incidents of the centre-lock system failing to lock as it should under certain circumstances. The problem comes from badly/insufficiently insulated mains electric cables in Thailand; if you park under or near some high voltage cables they can sometimes set up a field that interferes with the remote's signal. Sometimes the car cannot be locked with the remote, except from a certain direction, and sometimes it requires a few tries to unlock the car. The problem with the keyless system is that unless you check the car visually each time (and Toyotas have no factory fitted "beep" for the alarm, which makes checking more difficult) it is difficult to be 100% sure that the central locking has been activated and the doors locked; obviously if you go back to check with the remote in your pocket the alarm/lock will be activated and the doors unlocked anyway.

They could not say how frequently this occurred, but the worrying thing is that probably nobody knows and it would be quite easy to assume that your car was locked when it wasn't. I had an aftermarket remote alarm/centerlock fitted to a car previously and from personal experience I know of half a dozen places locally where this happened every time I parked there.