Living In Thailand

tropicalseeker

Its great, I love Sydney too, but this is my home now.

I mean everywhere has its flaws, but if you keep complaining about everything you will be miserable anywhere, if you have a laid back approach you will love it here.

Usually people who hate where they are will hate it anywhere they go to....

Some people get annoyed with how they receive there chance from 7 eleven, I mean come on,......... Brighten the hell up and dont let something like that ruin your day.

Read and believe everything on ThaiVisa Forum, it will put you off Thailand for life, come and experience it for yourself and make your own mind up.

It's not so bad here, if it was, the old whiners and moaners would have surely moved on.

Then again, maybe they stay just to spite themselves, and their lives are really as terrible as they make out. biggrin.gif

Edited by MrsMills

Yeah.

Most of the stuff on here I believe is just made up so they have something to complain about. But Thailand is clearly not as bad as what some make it out to be.

Actually I have only met a handful of people in Thailand that complain about the place. Some of them are probably on here with 15 different accounts :)

Yeah.

Most of the stuff on here I believe is just made up so they have something to complain about. But Thailand is clearly not as bad as what some make it out to be.

Actually I have only met a handful of people in Thailand that complain about the place. Some of them are probably on here with 15 different accounts :)

Only 15 ? ohmy.gif

They tend to spend a lot of time in the World News forum raving about how terrible Western democracies are. :ermm:

Edited by Ulysses G.

As with any country, Thailand has its pros and cons. When I weigh things out though, I'm perfectly happy here in Khon Kaen. Of course there's things that make me want to put my head through a wall, but on the flip side, there's many things I absolutely love about the country. If there's one major downside, it's the fact that I'm 29, and I'm missing out on loads of business opportunities. Sure, I make deals online, but that's not the same as living in the heart of Vancouver, Canada, and walking into meeting rooms all the time.

But no, I'm old enough to realize that when it comes to life, the times you can sit back and say, "life is good", are usually far and in between. Right now, I can say life is good.

I lived in Thailand for a year and a half. Certainly not as long as many other people in the forum. The ONLY reason I left was the anarchy of last May. Unacceptable to me. That's not what I retired for.

Having said that, and other than that, I found adjustment quite easy. Now, I had visited Thailand almost yearly since 1987, so I didn't think I would find much that would surprise me. And I didn't.

One of the biggest challenges is dealing with your American (?) banking-related stuff. I had switched over to HSBC before leaving the States because I knew they had service in Bangkok, and for the most part, they were great to deal with.

Another big challenge is getting past all the crap in Thailand. Like the scams. You can never really relax...they're all around. But to me that was a little item. Buying western style grocery items. You will yearn for your own country's cuisine, at least once in a while. And finding some of those items is going to be a challenge, and often expensive.

Dealing with the American embassy is not that much of a problem, at least in my experience. Dealing with Thai immigration was bothersome. The 3 month visa checks. Wondering if your visa will be re-approved...after all, it is their whim.

And then, if you decided not to stay, it's actually harder getting reestablished back in the States. For example, driver licenses, getting good car insurance rates, etc.

I would suggest one thing of anyone planning to move to Thailand. Go for a year or two for an extended vacation, without burning any bridge back home. Then if Thailand is everything you think it will be, you can settle down there. If not, you can easily reestablish yourself in the States.

Good luck!

Largely dependent on where you come from, no?

Absolutely. I have a wonderful home in the Southern California desert surrounded by wildlife and mountains and twelve months of good weather. The beaches are not far away, cities (Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas) are also close by and Mexico is only a few hours drive. Life is good here. I could easily live here all year 'round but I like the change of living on the beach in Thailand and I appreciate both places. Five months a year in Thailand and seven months in California seems to work for me.

Dealing with Thai immigration was bothersome. The 3 month visa checks. Wondering if your visa will be re-approved...after all, it is their whim.

And then, if you decided not to stay, it's actually harder getting reestablished back in the States. For example, driver licenses, getting good car insurance rates, etc.

I would suggest one thing of anyone planning to move to Thailand. Go for a year or two for an extended vacation, without burning any bridge back home. Then if Thailand is everything you think it will be, you can settle down there. If not, you can easily reestablish yourself in the States.

Good luck!

Agree that the 90 day check in is a hard pill to swallow. Add to that from what I read here it seems PR is almost impossible to obtain.

We do not live there but do spend a few months a year there. Although we do often think about living there full time but.. I think your advice of not burning *any* bridges initially is good advice for most if they can afford it.

• 2 weeks later...

The weather is a lot like the Uk actually. For 10 months of the year it is so hot and humid everyone tries to stay in the AC (ie inside) then they pray for two months of cool weather so they can sit outside. Some times they don't get it and the whole year is uncomfortable, a bit like the Uk. When they get the two months of cool they go on and on about how great it is, and when they don't they moan about how terrible it is. It's a home from home in reverse. Personally I don't know which is worse.

The weather is a lot like the Uk actually. For 10 months of the year it is so hot and humid everyone tries to stay in the AC (ie inside) then they pray for two months of cool weather so they can sit outside. Some times they don't get it and the whole year is uncomfortable, a bit like the Uk. When they get the two months of cool they go on and on about how great it is, and when they don't they moan about how terrible it is. It's a home from home in reverse. Personally I don't know which is worse.

That's a different UK and a different Thailand from the ones I know. The weather is fine in Thailand, more hot and humid than mild, but a lot of people seem to like that. You don't get the same seasonal variation that the UK enjoys, although most UK winters tend towards the wet and miserable, rather than cold and crisp. If you like to whinge about the weather, you will have plenty to work with here, but less varied. Depending on where you live, you may enjoy some variety in your flooding, since Thailand lacks the gentle drizzle that the UK often enjoys.

Other than perhaps the hills in the North, you'll rarely complain about how cold it is in Thailand; not outside, anyway. You'll probably regret bringing a jacket.

I've certainly worn a teeshirt more often in the UK than a jacket in Thailand.

SC

I am planning to move to Chiang Mai. What is the cost of Thai health insurance and accident insurance?

I have inpatient cover only and it costs me 15KB per year.

It is only basic cover with limits on most services.

However they have paid out on the claims I have made no problem.

I go to an army or public hospital so medical care is cheap, if you want to go to a private hospital you will need much more, much more.

I am not crazy about the heat, but it only really bothers me for 3 months in Hot Season. The rainy and cool seasons are fine. It looks like there is no Hot season this year (other than a few days), so I am celebrating. :thumbsup:

I miss the commentary from Richie, Bill, Tony and co. And baked beans in ham sauce with good quality cheese, the rest, whatever it was, I don't miss at all

I also miss Richie, Bill, Tony and the rest of the commentary team. Have recently found a way of watching them again but need to get my internet speed increased to get a good signal first. As I live in the sticks this is proving difficult so when the matches are on I simply go to Pattaya and watch them in a bar or on my laptop in the room.

I also miss Cadburys chocolate(black forest) and Arnotts shapes. If anyone knows where I can get them in Thailand please let me know. And I miss my family and friends as well but they will come and visit me eventually.

I'm assuming that you find that most households in Thailand have A/C? This extension is probably in the great minority.

I'm assuming that you find that most households in Thailand have A/C? This extension is probably in the great minority.

Although I was referring to the expat community I guess you are right that many Thai homes don't have air con. I can only imagine how uncomfortable that must be. Probably a lot like living in the Uk without heating.

Although I was referring to the expat community I guess you are right that many Thai homes don't have air con. I can only imagine how uncomfortable that must be. Probably a lot like living in the Uk without heating.

You're only uncomfortable {the heat} if you think too much about it. There are factors about A/C that are quite unhealthy.

I live out in the sticks and have an a/c in each of the 2 bedrooms upstairs.

They are only on for a few days of the year when my wife's family come up from Bangkok.

My son who is 6 uses it a little but complains that he is cold and shuts it off.

The rest of us use fans and while it gets warm at times we can always have a shower to cool down and feel more refreshed.

And no it actually isn't uncomfortable at all really. It is 35 outside and 30 indoors and I am sitting here in a pair of shorts with the fan on the first setting quite comfortably waiting for this afternoons thunderstorm and heavy rains.

:D

I live out in the sticks and have an a/c in each of the 2 bedrooms upstairs.

They are only on for a few days of the year when my wife's family come up from Bangkok.

My son who is 6 uses it a little but complains that he is cold and shuts it off.

The rest of us use fans and while it gets warm at times we can always have a shower to cool down and feel more refreshed.

And no it actually isn't uncomfortable at all really. It is 35 outside and 30 indoors and I am sitting here in a pair of shorts with the fan on the first setting quite comfortably waiting for this afternoons thunderstorm and heavy rains.

:D

Don't you perspire? I find on some days, like today, I'm dripping before I even start my breakfast, and I'm not a particularly sweatie person.

I'd never want to live in the united states again. The country is on it's way to the trashbin of history. It's run by idiots who've had their heads up their collective butts for the last 50 years. Everybody is fat, dumb, & religious. The economy is in terminal decline. The currency is worthless. A normal guy can't get laid with a decent (non-bbw) girl unless he has serious $$$. The place is a police state; you can't even move more than $10k out of your bank account without being under serveilence by a bunch of undercover agents.

For me, I have family there and that's the only reason I would ever want to return. If it weren't for them, you'd never see me near that dam_n country in a 1,000 years.

I'm planning on living here in SEA for the rest of my life. It's a great place. Not expensive. I have true freedom and opportunity that I never had in the land of no opportunities and lies.

I'm living in the US right now (Gonna graduate from High School next month). I been back and forth from Thailand a lot of times and I gotta say, I enjoy and LOVE Thailand more then the US for some reason. But don't get me wrong, US is the land of opportunity, but to me any country can be the land of opportunity. Something about Thailand makes me love it more then the US, maybe its because my family lives there and friends. So I can't wait to move back to Thailand after my High School graduation! :D

I'd never want to live in the united states again. The country is on it's way to the trashbin of history. It's run by idiots who've had their heads up their collective butts for the last 50 years. Everybody is fat, dumb, & religious. The economy is in terminal decline. The currency is worthless. A normal guy can't get laid with a decent (non-bbw) girl unless he has serious $$$. The place is a police state; you can't even move more than $10k out of your bank account without being under serveilence by a bunch of undercover agents.

it must have been a real drag getting bullied every day in grade school.

Dog_in_toilet.gif

For me, I have family there and that's the only reason I would ever want to return. If it weren't for them, you'd never see me near that dam_n country in a 1,000 years.

I'm planning on living here in SEA for the rest of my life. It's a great place. Not expensive. I have true freedom and opportunity that I never had in the land of no opportunities and lies.

Wow...glad I don't have your sour attitude. I'm back in the US now. Drinking cheap wine, eating great and cheap steaks, polite drivers, etc. Weather is great, my neighbors are doing great and life is good. Don't get me wrong...I love Thailand. It's my home. But your description of the US is way off. My friends are neither fat, dumb nor religious. You must hang out with the wrong crowd and listen to the wrong news channel. Gotta run....my wine glass is empty and the steaks are almost done...life is good. It's what you make of it, no matter where you live. Enjoy while you can.

it must have been a real drag getting bullied every day in grade school.

Dog_in_toilet.gif

+1!! :clap2: