Why Are New Cars So Overpriced In Thailand

sotsira

Why do I care the price of a hybrid?

Come down out of the clouds.

Lets talk about these crappy econo boxes like Honda City & Soluna Vios. Plastic crap. Which the bumpers would not pass USA crash tests. They are made of <deleted> plastic.

Accord 2.4 & Camry. Probably the USA use different engines. Because we want more Horsepower.

Man you like to take over threads don't you?

So you dont want to compare a car sold with same specs and approx same taxes in LOS and US. In Thailand taxes are used to lower fuel consumption and stimulate to use domestically made fuel. Thus Hybrids have low taxes. E20 compatible cars have lower taxes than E10.

Accord 2,4 and Camry 2,4 use the same engines in USA and LOS. Different spec on Accord 2,4 in Europe, tuned for higher HP and RON (200hp and require 95RON in Europe spec), because Europe require more hp than USA and because they have 95 and 98 RON available at every pump, and this spec also provides better emission. Different suspension setting to as Europe require handling, while US focus on comfort and dont have fast roads.

getting upset?;)

Don't have fast roads????? :cheesy: :cheesy: never driven very much in the states huh? We don't have unlimited speed limits unfortunately :( like some European countries but fast roads we're far from lacking. Just take a ride out west sometime but honestly you don't need to go there either there is plenty of long stretches of unpopulated roads to open up on all across the US, this is a commonly held fallacy of Euro's about US roads..

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warpy. I'm just assuming he's never been to the states so he is unable to do the comparison. He is doing this fishing expedition of how much second hand cars are worth. I couldn't be bothered debating folks who think they know it all. Yep Germany is de bestest. Case closed.

You know how to put your finger on the scale don't you. Those GD batteries are imported at 30% duty +++++ all the other BS taxes added on top.

Here is a real world car Honda Accord 2.4 auto.

Accord

$24,000.00 or 700,000 baht

btw The Camry Hybrid krapola is $20,000 cheaper in USA. To some of us that is "real" money.

Moreover try and buy an older model Prelude here? Or simple cheap older model Mazda MX5

This prelude is almost 20 years old how can anyone justify this and think it warrants this price of 320,000b or almost $11,000US adjusted for currency devaluation I might add? Taxes are mostly burnt off at this point, but there's the rub because it's resales price is inflated it continues to garner higher then necessary taxes when resold..

'92' Honda Prelude

How about one the same year and equally appointed and modified or better for 75,000b $2500 US in the US. I'd trust it's maintenance history much more too..

'92' Prelude

This 17 year old MX5 goes for more then a brand new model back in the states 680,000b or $22,666

'94' MX5

And I didn't just pluck one extreme example check the site yourself the example I choose was nice midrange priced car. This model car back there goes all day for 20,000 less, they'd be even cheaper but they're popular for racing..

I can get an entire fleet of these cars for this price or one brand new 2011 like this one with 360 miles on it for 659,970b or $21,999 US :blink: ...

2011MX5 Miata

I can guarantee it's better appointed with factory accessories too..

Bottom line is if you want to drive an old mans vanilla car here then you have a slim chance of something competitively priced but go outside the lines a bit and see what you get hammered with/ If it's even available..

I would understand the need for a large engine vehicle in the West due to snowy conditions, but I do not understand the same needs in the tropics. I had driven my 1.3 lit Honda City to Singapore and back without any problems.

So why is there bickering about overpriced large capacity cars in Thailand due to high excise taxes?

Not everyone is satisfied with a Honda City. A "normal car", like a new Ford Mustang, Chevrolet Camaro, etc is so expensiveoverhere, that no one can afford. For all those peaple who are not satisfied with a Japanese car (like me), is the only one way to go: Buy a project car (which cost also a couple hunert grand) and build it up the way you want it.

Another good point Stinger and I'd even be happy with some Japanese cars if they all weren't so vanilla.... Try to get an Acura Integra here for example forget a Type R, back home they hold their value quite well too but here it's insane and not even likely to be original..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Car ownership in Thailand

November 5th 2009 took delivery of a Toyota Vigo 3,0 D4d auto 4x4 G in white. Used it for 18 months and 28k km. Serviced at 1k, 10k and 20k km at total 5k baht including cleaning of AC. When purchased Insurance taxes etc included, so payed 6.800 for tax once and ad 11k for half year Insurance. Fuel to keep 140-160kmh on Highways, 95-100k baht.

Forgot the cost of having it waxed every 2-3 months, 500 baht each with Meguire 21.

Placed an ad in classfieds.ThaiVisa.com on Monday, 14 different numbers called me during Tuesday, sold it and recieved cash yesterday. 850.000 baht. Deleted ad to stop people calling.

This is my 4th Toyota truck since Vigo was launched late 2004. All similar numbers.

Cheapest car owneship I have ever had :)

A <deleted> pick up truck???? <deleted>??? :cheesy: come on Kata you're pulling our chains now :( ....

Warpy. I'm just assuming he's never been to the states so he is unable to do the comparison. He is doing this fishing expedition of how much second hand cars are worth. I couldn't be bothered debating folks who think they know it all. Yep Germany is de bestest. Case closed.

I do like the Autobahn though :( ....

Edited by WarpSpeed

Lets talk about these crappy econo boxes like Honda City & Soluna Vios. Plastic crap. Which the bumpers would not pass USA crash tests. They are made of <deleted> plastic.

Accord 2.4 & Camry. Probably the USA use different engines. Because we want more Horsepower.

So you dont want to compare a car sold with same specs and approx same taxes in LOS and US. In Thailand taxes are used to lower fuel consumption and stimulate to use domestically made fuel. Thus Hybrids have low taxes. E20 compatible cars have lower taxes than E10.

Accord 2,4 and Camry 2,4 use the same engines in USA and LOS. Different spec on Accord 2,4 in Europe, tuned for higher HP and RON (200hp and require 95RON in Europe spec), because Europe require more hp than USA and because they have 95 and 98 RON available at every pump, and this spec also provides better emission. Different suspension setting to as Europe require handling, while US focus on comfort and dont have fast roads.

getting upset?;)

Don't have fast roads????? :cheesy: :cheesy: never driven very much in the states huh? We don't have unlimited speed limits unfortunately :( like some European countries but fast roads we're far from lacking. Just take a ride out west sometime but honestly you don't need to go there either there is plenty of long stretches of unpopulated roads to open up on all across the US, this is a commonly held fallacy of Euro's about US roads..

US does not have fast roads. I have been driving around all of the US. Trying to keep a slow cruising speed of 80 mph is not possible for more than 30 minutes without being pulled over. A moderate 100mph is unthinkable. and those fines hurt. 130 mph is moderate cruising speed where I come from. Every car maker knows this, so US spec are comfy and soft suspension, while European spec is focused on traction

Importing US cars to Europe for 2 decades gave me some knowledge of US specs. Past 5 years imported only factory new cars to get the desired spec.

Glad your having fun :D

Car ownership in Thailand

November 5th 2009 took delivery of a Toyota Vigo 3,0 D4d auto 4x4 G in white. Used it for 18 months and 28k km. Serviced at 1k, 10k and 20k km at total 5k baht including cleaning of AC. When purchased Insurance taxes etc included, so payed 6.800 for tax once and ad 11k for half year Insurance. Fuel to keep 140-160kmh on Highways, 95-100k baht.

Forgot the cost of having it waxed every 2-3 months, 500 baht each with Meguire 21.

Placed an ad in classfieds.ThaiVisa.com on Monday, 14 different numbers called me during Tuesday, sold it and recieved cash yesterday. 850.000 baht. Deleted ad to stop people calling.

This is my 4th Toyota truck since Vigo was launched late 2004. All similar numbers.

Cheapest car owneship I have ever had :)

A <deleted> pick up truck???? <deleted>??? :cheesy: come on Kata you're pulling our chains now :( ....

If you had bothere reading the whole thread, you would have seen the figures for my 2008 Accord. Payed new 1,5, covered 70k km and sold at 1.270.000

as I recall

. and 2007 Camry, only 40k km, and lost 120k as I recall.

Cheap car ownership :)

Still glad you r having fun :D

Good luck to you then thanks for getting personal about reading and comprehension, though clearly I'm not the one with the deficit.. That'll be that then, when you've spent 42 years in the States and understand the market there we can take this up again on equal terms..

Except by then I'll have another couple of decades experience so on second thought maybe not..

boy you sure showed him how silly it is to offer an alternate perspective. well done.

Good luck to you then thanks for getting personal about reading and comprehension, though clearly I'm not the one with the deficit.. That'll be that then, when you've spent 42 years in the States and understand the market there we can take this up again on equal terms..

Except by then I'll have another couple of decades experience so on second thought maybe not..

boy you sure showed him how silly it is to offer an alternate perspective. well done.

About as brilliant as your response eh :whistling: ?? A hardy well done to you too, you have a real valuable and insightful perspective, too bad you didn't share it with us :rolleyes: ..

I've enjoyed reading the motor forum for a while.

Powderpuff seems to be accusing kbb of narcissism in his posts whilst also managing to avoid in engaging in the discussion points kbb raises with any intelligent responses. Pp comes across as very patronising if anyone has a different perspective. You may be right pp, but the wider points, I. E. The total cost of ownership are valid points of discussion.

You may find people agree with you in the end if u drop the attitude, and state your points a little better without the brash rudeness. You're doing your part in upholding the US stereotype.

getting upset?;)

US does not have fast roads. I have been driving around all of the US. Trying to keep a slow cruising speed of 80 mph is not possible for more than 30 minutes without being pulled over. A moderate 100mph is unthinkable. and those fines hurt. 130 mph is moderate cruising speed where I come from. Every car maker knows this, so US spec are comfy and soft suspension, while European spec is focused on traction

Importing US cars to Europe for 2 decades gave me some knowledge of US specs. Past 5 years imported only factory new cars to get the desired spec.

Glad your having fun :D

Yes and this has nothing to do with the roads as mentioned it has everything to do with speed limits. Now, you can choose to drive faster in any country on any road and defy the laws of that country as you mention doing here consistently all you wish, but that doesn't mean the roads are safe and properly engineered to go those speeds safely just like they aren't here nor is it legal just as it wouldn't be in the States either only with a more efficient and less corrupt traffic enforcement in place..

That doesn't speak to roads, just whether or not you're willing to take the risk by travelling at illegal and unsafe speeds. There are only a few countries I know of in Europe where the speed limits or lack there of exist any more then in the States..

I might also add that with the cameras even in places such as Germany you not only still have speed limits to contend with in certain areas and at certain times but they change in an instant and you can get caught out by not only the sudden drop in speed limit but as well a serious ticket in your mail box with a hefty fine a few days later..

Try driving the pacific coast highway or through the Smokey mountains in Tennessee sometime and as simply 2 examples those roads are every bit as scenic, twisty and wide open as anything in Europe..

130 mph is moderate cruising speed where I come from.

in which European country is 130mph (~210km/h) a "moderate" cruising speed... pray tell? :huh:

my home country Germany is the only one in Europe without speed limit on some Autobahn stretches. and even on those the "recommended" cruising speed is 130km/h (~80mph).

did you mix up miles and kilometers? or can i assume that we both consider 210km/h a moderate cruising speed? i do! :)

Edited by Naam

130 mph is moderate cruising speed where I come from.

in which European country is 130mph (~210km/h) a "moderate" cruising speed... pray tell? :huh:

my home country Germany is the only one in Europe without speed limit on some Autobahn stretches. and even on those the "recommended" cruising speed is 130km/h (~80mph).

did you mix up miles and kilometers? or can i assume that we both consider 210km/h a moderate cruising speed? i do! :)

I was wondering the same but stayed away from that, I had enough task on the other points, but glad it was brought up by someone else in the know..

I did 220kph on the autobahn while I was there, my car was maxed out and it was a blast to say the least, but critical to still keep an eye on the rear view mirror even at those speeds someone is going to pass you very fast..

One thing that took me off guard was while driving one night through a metropolitan area the speed suddenly began to slow rapidly with flashing signs, emergency flashers from heavy braking, etc. and traffic rapidly backing up then I noticed what I thought was rice ash floating around in the air.

The only reason I recognized it was because I've seen it on the track but that's within minutes of blowing and engine or an oil leak and the track crews went to work drying the oil and whatever else was laid down..

It took me a few seconds to realize having looked ahead at a glossy black streak of oil and antifreeze laid down and then realized someone had blown an engine and that is something we seldom ever encounter back in the states but it's probably not only a common occurrence in Germany but a serious hazard to be aware of..

What was most notable and impressive to me was the fact that the road crew had already reacted before the oil was even dry and there they were standing on the platform on back of this truck laying down miles of oil dry like a race track :lol:....

Edited by WarpSpeed

I did 220kph on the autobahn while I was there...

two of my American neighbours visited us (on different occasions) in Germany. of course i had to show off a bit and accelerated several times to reach nearly 300. one of them enjoyed the ride immensely, the other one i asked later jokingly whether he will pay for the replacement of the handle at the door which he crushed with his right hand when holding on.

B)

I did 220kph on the autobahn while I was there...

two of my American neighbours visited us (on different occasions) in Germany. of course i had to show off a bit and accelerated several times to reach nearly 300. one of them enjoyed the ride immensely, the other one i asked later jokingly whether he will pay for the replacement of the handle at the door which he crushed with his right hand when holding on.

B)

Crushed, hmmm, must have been a BMW. :D