Thai Health Ministry Warns Senior Citizens Not To Drink Alcohol

webfact

Senior citizens warned not to drink alcohol

SUKHOTHAI, 13 April 2011 (NNT) – The Ministry of Public Health has advised senior citizens against drinking alcohol to celebrate the Thai New Year or Songkran Festival owing to high risk of stroke and paralysis.

Speaking after presiding over an event campaigning people on stroke prevention in senior citizen in the central province of Sukhothai on Tuesday, Deputy Public Health Minister Dr Phansiri Kullanartsiri expressed her concerns over the people, especially senior citizens drinking of alcohol during the festival.

Senior citizens drinking alcohol are at risk of stroke, also known as paralysis since their bodies are no longer in full health while their blood vessels lack flexibility unlike in the past. Some of them face higher risk due to high blood pressure and smoking.

According to the statistics, more than six million people worldwide are killed every year by stroke while the grim toll for Thailand stands at over 13,000 people per year. In other words, three people died every two hours from stroke.

Dr Phansiri also suggested that senior citizens should be rushed to hospitals immediately if found with any signals of stroke, including numbness or weakness of their legs and arms, blurred vision in one of their eyes, difficulty in speaking, severe headache and dizziness.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-04-13 footer_n.gif

I think the ministers calculations are somewhat off , it also depends on the alcohol imbibed , a couple of alcoholic drinks a day can be beneficial provided it is not the gut rot home brewed variety .

That's kind of what my doctor told me this week. One or two glasses of red wine he said is okay. I then asked: Laokao (sp), he said ah, no...cool.gif

I think the ministers calculations are somewhat off , it also depends on the alcohol imbibed , a couple of alcoholic drinks a day can be beneficial provided it is not the gut rot home brewed variety .

That's kind of what my doctor told me this week. One or two glasses of red wine he said is okay. I then asked: Laokao (sp), he said ah, no...cool.gif

In moderation it is not bead for you and some types are good for you like red wine,

but excess is excess no matter who you slice it.

Anyone so bad off as to have a stroke from one good night of drinking is pretty close to the edge anyway.

I can't believe these politicians. The elderly are most likely pretty set in their ways. If they drink, they will drink. If they don't, they won't. It's not like the grandkids can get grandma to get loaded.

If they focused on the problem of young people drinking, they would likely solve more societal problems than warning the elderly that they might die.

If they focused on the problem of young people drinking, they would likely solve more societal problems than warning the elderly that they might die.

I think the elderly already know they might die, which, in fact, may be WHY they are drinking   :lol:

I think the elderly already know they might die, which, in fact, may be WHY they are drinking :lol:

I'm pushing 70 and I know where your vehicles parked !!!:lol: :lol: ......

Having Alzheimers means they have to tell me not to drink every day. But at least I make new friends each day and can hide my own Easter Eggs! wacko.gif

I.m old and pissed-and cannot remember why I am replying------------------------OH yes,:lol:

QUOTE ((three people died every two hours from stroke. ))????? sun===caress===hit with a cane=====died ,came back to life every 2 hours.:lol: :lol:

Edited by ginjag

Too sad. Thai grandpas are discouraged from indulging in their beloved bottle of 'lao khao' in between penitent visits to the local temple and screwing some young girls under the pretense they are high-ranking generals?

Wel, as long as the young ones can have fun....

Pray tell, when does one start to become a 'senior citizen'? At 55 do I already need to heed the advise of the Health Ministry or can I still indulge freely ;)

Your as old as you feel, If you can walk in a staight line, are not pot bellied, or yellow eyed and exersise everyday and still feel like a bit of ''nookie'' your not to be too worried. Although at least a yearly check at a doctors is adviseable.

To qualify for this oldsters award, you would normally be ending your working life-on pension-playing scrabble in an evening-and holding hands when walking in the park (to stop falling over) :lol: :lol:

Edited by ginjag

Some clean living people drop dead from heart attacks much earlier than some posters think , you do not need to be an OAP to succumb to unsuspected heart problems .

One article posted recently in regards to consumption of alcoholic beverages , moderate consumption can reduce or negate the onslaught of ED , commonly known as ' Limp dick affliction ' , especially if you have been a long time drunk , ahem , drinker .

I think the elderly already know they might die, which, in fact, may be WHY they are drinking :lol:

I think even here most people know that they WILL die.

Let me first say that I DO drink but....

Ethanol is a poison. There is no beneficial level of ingesting this poison.

Your doctor has not performed any research on alchohol and is just repeating 'conventional wisdom'. The reason your doctor says this is:

- he drinks to and so wants to believe it.

- he knows you won't stop

If your doctor told you a little bit of arsenic or cyanide a day would be OK, you'd think he was crazy. Still - when he tells you that your preferred poison is beneficial, you don't question it because you want to believe it.

Edited by pedro01

I think even here most people know that they WILL die.

I'm that old I can't remember if I've already died, but sitting on a white powder sand beach, with clear blue sea, unhindered, PATTAYA- I MUST have died, as I find I AM in paradise already.:welcomeani::cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: