Thai Politics Who'S Who?

valerian

It would be very interesting to find out more information about various political figures in Thailand.

Just recently, for example, two parties merged (Ruam Chart Pattana and Puea Pandin) and they are to select

a new party leader out of Wannarat Channukul and Charnchai Chairungrueng.

But who are these guys and where do they come from?

There are quite a few politicial figures around that are fairly unknown to the non-thai-speaking farang community.

And there are probably numerous politically interested farangs around that would like to know more about these persons.

Are they business people who's families control large business networks? Or are they politically motivated?

And what about the other guys? Sanoh Thienthong of Pracharaj, Newin of the Bhumjaithai etc.. what interests do they represent?

And what about the Abhisit family.. do they represent economial interests or are they politically motivated only?

Please enlighten me all you political gurus.

No doubt some will come along who have more energy (and ability) than me to give a more complete answer but in the meantime there's one glaring fallacy in your effort to work things out:

Are they business people who's families control large business networks? Or are they politically motivated?

That's what's know as a false dichotomy, I believe. (ie they are not at all mutually exclusive: quite the contrary).

Sanoh Thienthong of Pracharaj, Newin of the Bhumjaithai etc.. what interests do they represent?

Their own. Like all the rest of the politcians (even if they have to serves someone else's immediate interests -- which they will shift to doing at any given time -- it is only out of ultimate self-interest). Sanoh and Newin have been very significant players for a very long time.

The Abhisits are a wealthy family uninvolved in politics per se, as far as I know: Both his parents were medical professors at one point, and his father used to be rector of Mahidol University I believe but he became director of one of Thailand's very largest businesses.

EDITED for typos

Edited by SteeleJoe

Outside of seemingly rhetorical theories and research, wouldn't it be easier to suggest that they all come from the same club, regardless of the posturing and identity that is promoted. Much akin to political models worldwide.

Edited by zzaa09