Connect A Samsung Galaxy S To Ubuntu 10.10

Richard-BKK

Okay I finally moved to a “smarter” more modern mobile telephone, so now I have a Samsung Galaxy S i9003M, works perfect of course.

But it keeps complaining that updates are available, now I understand that the update is a firmware update. The main problem with the Samsung Galaxy S is that it comes with KIES software, which has no Linux version and seem not to work while using in a VMware Workstation (virtual machine) software running MS Windows XP.

Samsung KIES software is needed (apparently) to upgrade the firmware of the Samsung Galaxy S mobile phone.

In our office the last MS Windows computer left the building some time ago, we currently only have Apple Mac's, Ubuntu 10.10 systems and one Fedora 14 box (basically to lazy to change that one... too much data on it).

So the obvious question is how do I connect my Samsung Galaxy S i9003M to my computer running Linux, or with VMware Workstation Windows XP VM, to upgrade the firmware... and maybe exchange some more data (maybe I ask with that too much).

Sorry I can't offer any real help, but I will be watching this topic with interest, as I will soon be in the market for a new phone and I like the Samsung models

Currently I have a Samsung Omnia II and I managed to get the Samsung upgrade software working in an XP machine under Virtualbox. A task I had not been able to do with VMware.

If you decide to try this, be sure to install Virtualbox from the Oracle web site and not the Ubuntu repository as the one in the Ubuntu Repositories does not offer USB support.

Edited by thaimite