Marriage Requirements

maswov

I was curious as to what I will need to have a legal Thai marriage and subsequently have that marriage registered in the US.

I am particularly interested in knowing if Thailand will require proof that i am not married in another country. I know this sounds a bit shady but I was married in Guam, a US territory and still currently married, my lawyer is dragging his ass on the proceedings which have lasted for more than 4 years now and honestly I have no idea how much longer they will last. What i was hoping is possible is to have a thai wedding and file everything legally here in Thailand then after I receive my divorce decree from the US do the proper filing with the US embassy.

You will need an affidavit of ability to marry from the US embassy in Bangkok. That'll be $50 and 15 minutes. You'll then need to translate this into Thai, and certify the translation at the Ministry of Foreign affairs on Chaeng Wattana.

If you are already married and lie to the US Embassy here in Bangkok you are committing a felony punishable by prison time if you are caught. Other than that, there will be no check.

As said, you commit a serious offence by marrying hwile already married, not to mention that you will cause serious embarresment and grief to your new wife. Don't do it, it will be more trouble than worth it and your second marriage will not be valid. Get your divorce first.

You will need the divorce papers transleated into Thai as well.