My Family Really Needs A Car And Cannot Afford Being Screwed.

Solditallandmovedhere

Oh dear, this thread is getting somewhat off topic.

I'm waiting with baited breath to learn what the OP decides to do. I hope we haven't scared him off the forum. Will he move into town where he doesn't need a car and is better able to meet other expats to help him from being cheated? Will he readjust his expectations and buy a new car produced in Asia, knowing he's paying the same price as everyone else and knowing the maintenance history of the vehicle? Will he decide that his present situation is OK (the "do nothing" option can often be the best)? Will he buy his "dream car" and hope his used European vehicle was gently used in its previous life? Will he decide to throw in the towel and move away from Thailand?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Edited by NancyL

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, as harsh as it sounds, like it or not, that's a pretty close summation of a large swathe of the populace. The TV's really good though. :whistling:

Op, do yourself a favour, forget the beamer; either a new Toyota, Honda (the 400k Brio's out now). Second hand, Corollas run forever.

Good advice, try to meet a local that you trust to deal with the Thai's. My wife makes me hide out of sight whenever she is negotiating a deal so we get the Thai price. It's just a fact of life but it's easy to get around.

My GF of the last 3 years does exactly the same, if I want something I just have to say 'yes' once and she knows I want it and I have to look like I don't care and leave the rest to her...works a treat!

Anyway, to the OP....re the car thing, I would try and get the idea of having a 'nice' car over here out of your head (unless you have a stash of cash to blow) and try and look at life here in a different perspective. In the UK, I loved having 'flash'cars and still miss them BUT having one over here is not really an option for most people. Look at used car prices, even a piece of junk over here that would be scrap in the UK sells for THB150k!

One thing to consider, if you could afford one, is buy new. The depreciation on new vehicles, especially cars is tiny compared to the UK or USA....so even after 2/3 years the car is still worth nigh on what you paid for it, ok a bit of exaggeration, but you get the idea! Just have a look at some of the vehicles on the classified's on here and see for yourself. What make? Toyota in my opinion, cheap to maintain and repair.

As for getting used to life over here....it takes time, but slowly and surely you get 'numb' to the things that annoy you when you first get here!! It's not all bad! Think about the things you don't like in USA, for me I just think about the UK....doesn't take too long to make me feel better!

Don't buy a BMW if you are on the brink of financial destruction.

The higher prices are subject to anyone they think they can do it to, its not just because you're a farang.

Heck, atleast here in Thailand you can bargain, most places in the US you don't have that luxury.

Adapt

Edited by KRS1

If you only have 65K to spend on a car, I suggest you stick with the moped.......how on Earth would you expect to meet monthly payments if you have spunked all your money since you were here....Jaguars, second highest level income bracket..and only 65K deposit, the old plaa lady down the road put more down on her Hilux at the weekend.

Regarding the two price issue - in the Czech Republic when you go to a restaurant, the menu in the Czech language always has lower prices for the same items than the menus printed in English, French, German or Italian. If you go yo a bar and order a drink speaking a little Czech you will get charged less than if you order in English or another language. Just the way it is. If you choose to be an expat living in a foreign country, then get used to the customs of the country. Don't complain; adapt.

Just going a little off topic for a moment (which is most unusual for me).

I am presently staying long term in a hotel about 145 nautical miles west of Chiang Mai where there are two menus in the restaurant, one in US$'s and the other in the local currency. I pay in US$'s and the locals pay the local currency. My bill for food and drinks is approximately 20% less than that of the locals when converted to the local currency for the exact same items.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. :rolleyes:

Nice hotel by the way.

Nautical miles eh :huh: ?? Would that be Seychelles then :lol: ?

OP, did you buy a car? Somewhere within the last three pages of comments, many people have actually taken the time to give a few well intended opinions and advice about buying a car. Did it help? Have you decided what to do? I saw an old pickup once and the guy had three cooking gas cylinders tied together in the back and a plastic tube running down to the engine. Seemed a good solution to expensive running costs ( try to get the refills for 200 baht ) and quite flexible really if you could park close to your kitchen.

Edited by jackjones

Would you like me to convert nautical miles into statute miles or kilometres for you? :whistling:

Purely out of curiosity, why would you state a distance from one place to another, on land, in nautical miles?

Also, I would imagine it would be fairly easy to google 'convert nautical miles to statute miles/kilometres'

I'm still curious as to why you would use nautical miles though :)

Would you like me to convert nautical miles into statute miles or kilometres for you? :whistling:

Purely out of curiosity, why would you state a distance from one place to another, on land, in nautical miles?

Also, I would imagine it would be fairly easy to google 'convert nautical miles to statute miles/kilometres'

Well, I am involved in aviation and nautical miles are used in aviation internationally. Aircraft speed is also given in knots (nautical miles per hour).

Latitude and longitude is in degrees, minutes and seconds. 1 degree of longitude at the equator is 60 nautical miles as is 1 degree of latitude all the way to the poles. BTW, 1 nautical mile is approximately 1.85 kilometres, 1 statute mile is approximately 1.61 kilometres :)

Edit: I forgot to mention that the Seychelle Islands are around 2,930 nautical miles from Chiang Mai. :rolleyes:

Edited by Blinky Bill

Well, I am involved in aviation and nautical miles are used in aviation internationally. Aircraft speed is also given in knots (nautical miles per hour).

Latitude and longitude is in degrees, minutes and seconds. 1 degree of longitude at the equator is 60 nautical miles as is 1 degree of latitude all the way to the poles. BTW, 1 nautical mile is approximately 1.85 kilometres, 1 statute mile is approximately 1.61 kilometres :)

Edit: I forgot to mention that the Seychelle Islands are around 2,930 nautical miles from Chiang Mai. :rolleyes:

Ah ok, cool, thanks :)

... we shall see. Patience my young Padawans. All the posts have been somewhat helpful. Except the expats with attitudes. How am I to trust words that come with malice. Yes, they have scared me off a bit. I do not have time for others to surmise and slash. Is that really what this site is all about? I think this is just simply a sign of them having the same frustrations I have and taking them out on an audience that can do nothing to stop them. One poster siad it great when they stated that these people would never do this in person. I will update when the car is in my hands. All options are still open to me.

My wife though misses her big SUV we had in the USA and constanly asks me do I miss my Harley Davidson . My answer is no . My Honda Click does just fine. I didnt come here to try and get rich and keep up with the Jones next door . I came to enjoy life ........

Now this I admire... A man who can be happy with a Honda Click, who formerly had a Harley Davidson, has truly adopted a Buddhistic approach to Thailand!

(No cynicism implied or intended)

The OP is in the house! This is what I went with for a car. Thanks for the help everyone.

http://tinyurl.com/28sdlxl (click on any picture to see full size and resolution)

I also took some art shots here:

http://tinyurl.com/2ef848a

Undercarriage: http://tinyurl.com/2uzrp7g

More Interior http://tinyurl.com/27s5ajm

Anyone want to wager on what it cost me?

The OP is in the house! This is what I went with for a car. Thanks for the help everyone.

http://tinyurl.com/28sdlxl (click on any picture to see full size and resolution)

Good lookin ride..... Glad you got it together....Now onward with the living in our lovely city.

Stop by when you can.....and do bring the car..... I had one very close to that year, once upon a time...

Now tell the truth....... Isn't that car older than you?????

Honestly now this is Thailand U Know.....

Gonzo

Wow! Good for both you and John, enjoy, and good luck with it..

Didn't think you had interest in an older bug or I would have mentioned it :ph34r: ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Why would anyone be interested in doing that? huh.gif

Uhhh, Because guys like you have been extremelyopinionated and very hard on me about what I should and should not be doing inregards this situation. I thought people may be proud of themselves foractually helping someone down the right path, and dam_n it, I’m proud of myselffor doing a good job with finding my famliy a car! God, I am not braging, I just thought that if some people said 100,000 I would knowthat I was paying to much. Settle down uptheos!

This just highligts my belief that all people on this site should aspire tobe as cool as Gonzo. I have met him in person so I can assure you he really isa cool guy.

It was listed at 165,000 and I personally believe thatthis is a real steal. For a Classic Car enthusiast it is at least! It hasobviously been taken care of really good. The current owner seems to know hisstuff when it comes to cars. The guy selling it is a Farlang and seems like avery good guy so I am sure that I have made the right decision. Weplan to pick it up this weekend. Gonzo, ...dinner at your place is in our nearfuture as well. See you then. Oh yeah uptheos, look up the word “constructive‘please!

@ Warpspeed How did you know the guys name was John? Are you John? That would beironic and in good humor!

Why would anyone be interested in doing that? huh.gif

Uhhh, Because guys like you have been extremelyopinionated and very hard on me about what I should and should not be doing inregards this situation. I thought people may be proud of themselves foractually helping someone down the right path, and dam_n it, I'm proud of myselffor doing a good job with finding my famliy a car! God, I am not braging, I just thought that if some people said 100,000 I would knowthat I was paying to much. Settle down uptheos!

This just highligts my belief that all people on this site should aspire tobe as cool as Gonzo. I have met him in person so I can assure you he really isa cool guy.

It was listed at 165,000 and I personally believe thatthis is a real steal. For a Classic Car enthusiast it is at least! It hasobviously been taken care of really good. The current owner seems to know hisstuff when it comes to cars. The guy selling it is a Farlang and seems like avery good guy so I am sure that I have made the right decision. Weplan to pick it up this weekend. Gonzo, ...dinner at your place is in our nearfuture as well. See you then. Oh yeah uptheos, look up the word "constructive'please!

@ Warpspeed How did you know the guys name was John? Are you John? That would beironic and in good humor!

I have no idea why the spacing is all messed up here. On anunrelated note, what does everyone think is the best antivirus software whilebeing in Thailand? Think that’s the problem!

It was listed at 165,000 and I personally believe that this is a real steal. For a Classic Car enthusiast it is at least! It has obviously been taken care of really good.

Actually it looks really nice and I hope it serves you well in Chiang Mai.

Like Gonzo I too had a Beetle (no not one off the Third Reich assembly line)wink.gif and it never let me down.

Did you manage to find a mechanic in Sukothai to check it out for you?

Edited by uptheos

It was listed at 165,000 and I personally believe that this is a real steal. For a Classic Car enthusiast it is at least! It has obviously been taken care of really good.

Like Gonzo I too had a Beetle (no not one off the Third Reich assembly line)wink.gif and it never let me down.

OK now I am a little freaked out! How does everyone know things like the name of the guy that is selling it and the city it is in? I never mentioned these things. I checked in my links and still couldn't find that info available to the public. No, I haven't found a mechanic there yet. No idea how to either really!

11-4-1978 rotfl

Good lookin ride..... Glad you got it together....Now onward with the living in our lovely city.

Stop by when you can.....and do bring the car..... I had one very close to that year, once upon a time...

Now tell the truth....... Isn't that car older than you?????

Honestly now this is Thailand U Know.....

Gonzo

You're not goiung to need a mechanic. Just about everything on a VW is fixable by the owner, get The Idiot's Guide :rolleyes: .

http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Volkswagen-Alive-Step-Step/dp/1566913101

Parts on the other hand....

Anyhow, congratulations on the car. They're a lot of fun to drive. Congratulations too to the seller as that asking price is over 400% higher than what it cost when it was new.

Edited by lannarebirth

OK now I am a little freaked out! How does everyone know things like the name of the guy that is selling it and the city it is in? I never mentioned these things. I checked in my links and still couldn't find that info available to the public. No, I haven't found a mechanic there yet. No idea how to either really!

I've got a excellent mechanic for you...... been taking of me for 15 years now and more than reasonably priced. Give you directions when I see you...

G