My Family Really Needs A Car And Cannot Afford Being Screwed.

Solditallandmovedhere

We moved her because my wife is about to recieve her Masters in Education and we figured that it would be nice to be in the second highest income bracket right from the start while living in a tropical paradise. We did not move here with much. That is to say at this point because we have spent most, if not all by now. The learning curve here is a bitch! Don't get me wrong, we have jobs and a house, ect. The problem is that I want a car now and need to avoid being screwed like so many of us Farlang usually are. With a family, a car that turns out to be a lemon will send us packing back home. I am just about at my breaking point here! How can a Buddhist populace be so anti-saabi, so often? Over the last four months I believe that we have been screwed out of approximately 30000 Baht due to "miscommunications" of which of course were all my fault. The guy refilling my stove gas this very second just told me 500 B for a small tank. I told him he was full of shit and then he told me 300. The gaurd at our gate is getting a cut no doubt. Go figure. Ohhhh, we are white and that means we are all insanely rich I guess. Before anyone gets started with the whole "Well if you cannot hack it, then go home!" save your time and mine as well because I have no need for your childish acts of misplaced frustration. We all feel this way on a weekly, if not daily basis. We simply need to know exactally how to find a car/dealer that we can trust and what the exact process will entail here in Chiang Mai. We found this nice BMW (Understand that I owned two XJ6's back in the states so please do not try and sell me on a Toyota at this point.) for 265,000 and the place told me that all we need to do is provide a Work Permit, Passport, and 65,000 Baht. The bank would then come over to the dealer and work out the plan for the other 200,000 of which we would pay off month by month. The car looks clean; a lot better than others of the same model that Ihave seen selling for the same price. Songkron was great and all my friends but I am really furstrated with the whole being here right now. This forum seems to be the only thing I can trust at this point and I really need the help. What would happen if I brought 150,000 baht to a new car dealer here in CM (This is when I would consider a Toyota or other Asian cars), could I get a new car? What would the payments be per month. Any help would be emphatically appreciated!

Cheers,

Semi-Jaded but Clinging to the Positives

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear your concerns for sure. We were in the same situation last year. In the end, decided a new car was the best bet. Hey, even back in my country, buying used cars is hit and miss. Last one I bought, a CR-V, was a lemon...piece of junk.

So, being unfamiliar with the processes here, we opted for a new Honda City. I think we put 30% down (around 200k) and have payments of around 11k/month. It's a great car and we are happy with our decision.

Best of luck!

If its the difference between staying and going, I would have thought you would be better off avoiding what are considered luxury vehicles here. You need to consider repair costs if you are that close to spent.

You can pick up a decent enough run around for less than 100k. The upkeep on it would be way waaay less than any finance on a BMW etc.

If money is tight, you need to get real. You don't go buying bmws here if you are close to kissing goodbye to your dream.

Just my thoughts. But then I think Toyota is a waay better choice than a Jag! And I'm English. Jags are luxurious sure, but whereas mechanics are concerned, they are a souped up Ford for people with money to burn.

Welcome to the forum....and Chiang Mai.

From reading your post, i can feel your frustrations. I also read that if in fact you talked to the gas man in that manner ,and some of remainder, forgive me for thinking that you may have more frustrating times ahead of you.

Try and ease up a bit and realize that Thailand is not back home and try to fit in here, not comparing with 'back home'. This area has a lot going for it if you allow yourself to see and feel it. Its not perfect , but its here..

Many of the expats here came from the good life of big cars, big houses and big money,,,, but here is here.....

Basically what I may be trying to offer to you is no matter who or what you had ,or were back home....... it will be a much better life for you and your family if your mindset fits into a 'learn' don't 'teach' mode

Hope it works out or you ..... good luck and again welcome to the forum

Gonzo

Welcome, better than the rest white man! Always nice to have another.

As you said you have no need for childish acts and misplaced fustrations. Follow "craigt3365''s example and get a new Honda/Toyota. Whatever life was like for you back home, its not anymore and the BMW seems to be out of your price range. If you buy anything used, you're always going to have the question in the back of your head on whether you got you moneys worth. If you're already jaded now, it'll just make it worse.

Of course that's not tosay that new isn't a good idea. You can do that, and I'd you can afford it, its a good way to go.

If German engineering is your choice, then vw golf and passat etc can be found, but don't come with the huge BMW price tag. Repairs may still be costly though.

I'm in the process of deciding on cars too. For me the two ends of the scale are the best. Cheap and cheerful, cheap to buy and repair if need be. Be aware of where you are and how the car market works here. Or... buy new. They depreciate really slowly. If you're short of cash don't gamble money you don't have (finance) on a secondhand car here, unless you have a good independent mechanic with you to give it the once over. If it turns out to be a lemon, then you're in debt heavily for the privilege.

If its the difference between staying and going, I would have thought you would be better off avoiding what are considered luxury vehicles here. You need to consider repair costs if you are that close to spent.

You can pick up a decent enough run around for less than 100k. The upkeep on it would be way waaay less than any finance on a BMW etc.

If money is tight, you need to get real. You don't go buying bmws here if you are close to kissing goodbye to your dream.

Just my thoughts. But then I think Toyota is a waay better choice than a Jag! And I'm English. Jags are luxurious sure, but whereas mechanics are concerned, they are a souped up Ford for people with money to burn.

Good pragmatic answer. Same goes for buying Mercedes, Volvo etc. No service points of quality and a massive vehicle depreciation. I spent two years looking at the actual point of owning a car in Thailand and the financial implications involved and opted for what has served me well now.

Sadly this country does not run a "Glasses Guide" to vehicle values. And as far as buying a second hand vehicle .."buyer beware". But research, research and checking out the vehicle by someone who has a knowledge of vehicles would be a great advantage. Finally you just cannot trust the mileometer...check out vehicle service history. And then verify it with the local dealer. All historical records should be computerised by the manufacturer, irrespective if the vehicle was not serviced by them.

But my experience with numerous vehicles, was that some Thai people do not have the vehicle serviced by manufacturers agencies. They do not bother with servicing, or they tend to go to a roadside agency for cheap servicing and repairs.

Good luck

Edited by Raindancer

Welcome to the forum....and Chiang Mai.

From reading your post, i can feel your frustrations. I also read that if in fact you talked to the gas man in that manner ,and some of remainder, forgive me for thinking that you may have more frustrating times ahead of you.

Try and ease up a bit and realize that Thailand is not back home and try to fit in here, not comparing with 'back home'. This area has a lot going for it if you allow yourself to see and feel it. Its not perfect , but its here..

Many of the expats here came from the good life of big cars, big houses and big money,,,, but here is here.....

Basically what I may be trying to offer to you is no matter who or what you had ,or were back home....... it will be a much better life for you and your family if your mindset fits into a 'learn' don't 'teach' mode

Hope it works out or you ..... good luck and again welcome to the forum

Gonzo

Simple and to the point, even if it isn't what the OP wants to hear. Good post.

Thanks everyone for responding so fast. These forums are pretty cool! I just wanted to clear up the whole "Gas Man" issue for Gonzo. I did not really tell him he was full of crap. I just enlightened him to the fact that I was savvy to the approximate going rate. I still think I paid 100 more than I should have. Boa pin yang. I do go about my day in the "Learning" and not "Teaching" mentality, but afetr 4 months the things I have learned have changed me in ways I never expected. I really feel strange in some sort of way and I have no idea how to get past it at this point. I am naturally a real happy guy, but the things I have seen and learned, ...well I cannot say I didn't expect it all, but so soon? I really want to give it a real go and plan to be here for the long, long haul, but I feel like something is missing. Say ...friends that I can trust and hangout with without worring about getting popped. There is nothing worth my interest back in the states, and all the farlang friends here that I have made seem to be the sort that could land me in jail. I am simply exhausted and do not know were to begain again. Now I am ranting. Look at me go! Anyway, these are my problems not yours. Thanks for all the advice and I will get a private mechanic to look at all the cars I am considering and start from there. I am sure if I walk into any decent shop and give a mechanic 500B he would be more than happy to help me out. You would think! TIT.

Cheers,

Thankful

P.S. Are there any real nice expat type of pubs that have cool people and not so many backpackers here for the fleeting jollies? I just want to find a place with quality food, fair prices, and great people. Some place to call home, if you will.

Buying a car is no easy task . After looking at many and saying no way I ended up buying an older nice looking Nissan with the thoughts I will most likley at some point fix and repair everything from the shocks to the brakes . I d rather have a more sensible ca that will not break the bank when something goes wrong . My first move was to have LPG installed and have never regretted it . I ve owned it now for 6 months it stops goes and keeps me cool when driving....... Im happy ..... My wife though misses her big SUV we had in the USA and constanly asks me do I miss my Harley Davidson . My answer is no . My Honda Click does just fine. I didnt come here to try and get rich and keep up with the Jones next door . I came to enjoy life ........

My guess is the OP has alot to learn and a hard road to hoe in front of him ....

Welcome to Thailand !!!!!

Good crowd of expats out of the city at bamboo bar in san sai. Head out of the city and you will find more expats congregated in places like hang dong, san sai etc.

Pm me if you want directions to my local here in san sai. Lots of farang in there, with a whole array of knowledge. Never any tourists :-) Hehe.

Seriously though, you should take your time with the car thing, and get a feel for the market here. :-)

Thanks everyone for responding so fast. These forums are pretty cool! I just wanted to clear up the whole "Gas Man" issue for Gonzo. I did not really tell him he was full of crap. I just enlightened him to the fact that I was savvy to the approximate going rate. I still think I paid 100 more than I should have. Boa pin yang. I do go about my day in the "Learning" and not "Teaching" mentality, but afetr 4 months the things I have learned have changed me in ways I never expected. I really feel strange in some sort of way and I have no idea how to get past it at this point. I am naturally a real happy guy, but the things I have seen and learned, ...well I cannot say I didn't expect it all, but so soon? I really want to give it a real go and plan to be here for the long, long haul, but I feel like something is missing. Say ...friends that I can trust and hangout with without worring about getting popped. There is nothing worth my interest back in the states, and all the farlang friends here that I have made seem to be the sort that could land me in jail. I am simply exhausted and do not know were to begain again. Now I am ranting. Look at me go! Anyway, these are my problems not yours. Thanks for all the advice and I will get a private mechanic to look at all the cars I am considering and start from there. I am sure if I walk into any decent shop and give a mechanic 500B he would be more than happy to help me out. You would think! TIT.

Cheers,

Thankful

P.S. Are there any real nice expat type of pubs that have cool people and not so many backpackers here for the fleeting jollies? I just want to find a place with quality food, fair prices, and great people. Some place to call home, if you will.

Well that seems like a much better approach.

Not sure where you live, but if you have the opportunity, stop by The Pun PUn and we can have a little chat over a coffee or so.... will be able to help with one or two or your hurdles, perhaps

Small tank of Gas should be 310 Baht and I can get you in touch with a sure fire magician of a mechanic..... been good to me for about 15 years or so.....

I think that you will find a lot of good expats, with a lot of life experience, here on the forum...... even some of the priks are good guys when face to face.

Look forward to seeing you

Gonzo

:)

Yep my thinking as well and actually I made that exact same mistake and bought a BMW when I first arrived and now seriously regret it though I do nearly all of my own work and have a nice little BMW parts store within waling distance of my home..

Knowing what I know now I would have bought a SEAT but I listened to others and they were misinformed, that's not the first time that's happened here either..

I think if you can swing it in your case a nice little car well worth it's money to consider is a new Fiesta instead of a second hand Bimmer that's going to be a real gamble and costly to repair if you don't do it yourself..

JFYI Our situation was as close to yours as you can imagine and I feel your frustration and disappointment.

Edited by WarpSpeed

If the Mrs. is getting a Masters in Education, chances are pretty good she'll be able to get a good paying job, i.e. International School. She'll be able to meet other teachers, parents and there you may find a group of expats that won't land you in jail. (seriously, where are you hanging out?)

There is also a very active art scene, there are dancing lessons, expat clubs, a few writers clubs, bike riding clubs, places for tennis, golf, cricket, softball, football, swimming. . . you just need a bit of time to find all this stuff - its out there.

You'll also find good people in places like the Irish Pub, The Pub, Mad Dog, Old Belle,The Bamboo Bar - all good expat places with good food, along with Gonzo's place, he's pretty harmless, knows the area well, and serves really good and reasonable priced food in a nice, relaxed setting.

Like you, I too sold it all and moved here and have never regretted it for a moment. I do have days I've labeled "I hate Thailand days" but as time goes by, can't remember the last time I had one. Yup, people are going to try and rip you off and the communication issues while drive you mad sometimes, and you've got to realize that that's on you - you can't get angry at folk, but you will get frustrated. It happens. The more self reliable you become, the less it will occur. I'm sure you do consider yourself self reliable, but the truth is, when you first get here, you may need a little bit of help.

Keep looking for the positive because it is all around you.You may not know it yet, but you are lucky enough to have chosen a great place to live. You'll realize sooner than you think that you have landed in paradise. Enjoy.

To the OP regarding working out repayments

Here is the formula to work out your payments if you have to borrow say 900000 baht

OK

900000 Bht x 2.45% (Interest rate) = 22050 Bht x 5 (The 5 Year repayment period) = 110250 Bht + 900000 Bht (The original loan amount) = 1010250 Bht Divide this by 60 (This is the amount of months the loan was taken out eg 5 years = 60 months) = 16837.5 Bht

This final figure will be your monthly payments.

You can change the loan amount interest rate and loan period to suite your circumstances but believe this is the formula Toyota will use when giving you a quote (according to the nice Toyota lady on our Moo Bann)

Hope this is of some use

TB

Edited by tigerbalm

Cheers,

Thankful

If you buy a used car, be sure you and the owner or dealer go to the license office and get through the inspection BEFORE you hand over any money. I, with the help of a Thai "friend" paid for my car first, then upon trying to change it over into my name - in Chiang Mai - learned that the dealer had replaced the fender without passing that info on to me.

The signifcance of that is there is a number on that fender that needed to match the one behind the engine. Since they didn't, no blue book for me.

I used to do that in the States, go to an independent mechanic and pay a few bucks to have the car checked out. Might or might not work here if you do it. The Thai tend to stand together, if you know what I mean. Better if your wife does it outside your presence.

Not easy here, is it?

I've been ripped off more times than I can count in the first year or two, including from a government university. But I'm still here.

And plotting..... :whistling:

Maybe you should wait until you have 1 million baht, and buy a new vehicle, at the same price as everyone else pays, and not screwed.. Until then, cruise on a bike as the vast majority of Farangs do. :)

I hope you succeed with all of your personal issues soon. You can't survive here very well, otherwise ;)

Maybe you should wait until you have 1 million baht, and buy a new vehicle, at the same price as everyone else pays, and not screwed.. Until then, cruise on a bike as the vast majority of Farangs do. :)

I hope you succeed with all of your personal issues soon. You can't survive here very well, otherwise ;)

This is the best answer yet. Thais don't have a problem paying one million Baht for a new car. You really do need to work out some of your frustrations/accusations. Maybe this is not the place for you.

This is the best answer yet. Thais don't have a problem paying one million Baht for a new car. You really do need to work out some of your frustrations/accusations. Maybe this is not the place for you.

Well said, gents.

OP,

I've only been here since October of '09, but I know what you mean. I've only now settled on a motorbike and car that suit my needs (which are not in a class with BMW, I hasten to add).

In my case, the problem was that I was unwilling to take my time and went about buying by myself, without consulting (as suggested above) the many sources of information available locally. True, I did haunt the threads that applied on Thai Visa, but they could not fill in the whole picture, even with careful searches. What I should have done. to save time, was take my time and not be impatient. My ignorance more than anything else had me buying 3 motorbikes that I subsequently sold at a loss - just not the right thing for me. I know such a suggestion - to be patient - is unhelpful; it's constraining. But it would have saved me money.

But I've experienced discomfort in bargaining. That's because I have no way to estimate what Thais have been doing all their lives - learning price ranges for many things, or how to express their counter offers to get the best response from the seller. The price of my drinking water dropped when a woman who cleans once a week was here when a delivery arrived. My last tank of kitchen gas, delivered, was 220. Guess who made the call and arranged it all - not I.

It's been a complex experience just learning some rudiments of vehicle ownership, and it is different here from my experiences in occidental countries where I've lived. Moreover, may I suggest that until your wife's income is determined to add to your own that you probably cannot accurately make a budget upon which to make a decision now based on your best information - at least that's what i understand. And the rainy season, officially at least, will not start for some months yet.

In any case, Thailand is a learning experience of considerable size, doubtless infinite if somebody is curious enough. You are not alone.

Electrified.. I respect some of your view points. But to say " maybe this is not the place for you" is a little hard". I do not know your personal venture toThailand, but maybe many others have experienced the first culture shock in arriving in Thailand with western ideologies and living standards.

Are, or were we so different upon arrival here and how often did we hear the phrase after a simple posting of help, having arrived here , greeted with the phrase ..."maybe Thailand is not for you". C'mon, Electrified , you have posted many helpful posts to the various newcomers in Thailand. Give the guy something positive and informative to hold on to after arriving here.

Regards

How about renting a car? That would give you a chance to try out some of the models recommended here. I don't own a car, but friends went this route. Actually, they found that monthly rental wasn't all that more expensive than ownership when you consider the cost of maintenance and insurance. Plus, they could try out different models. Renting would be good, too, if you haven't sorted out your budget and don't even know if you're staying. This isn't the time to be investing in a major piece of equipment.

You've received some excellent advice about selecting a popular model, perhaps one made in Thailand by a Japanese company, where you have the advantage of good availability of parts and service from a manufacturer and dealer network with Japanese management skills behind it. Used cars hold onto their value here, so there may not be much savings in buying used vs. new. With a new car, you know the maintenance history and pay the same price as everyone else.

Also, why do you need a car? Hubby and I don't. We live in the city where song thaews and tuk-tuks are plentiful and we can walk to many places. The western grocery stores and many other places do home delivery of purchases. Yes, the housing rentals are higher in the city, but you don't need to support a car. If Tigerbalm's figures are correct, then you can afford to rent a really nice house in the city for 17,000 baht per month more than whatever it is you're paying living someplace where you need a car.

Edited by NancyL

Good advice, try to meet a local that you trust to deal with the Thai's. My wife makes me hide out of sight whenever she is negotiating a deal so we get the Thai price. It's just a fact of life but it's easy to get around.

Thanks for that Raindancer! That is what I am talking about. Some expats seem to really give to you on this website. Are we really all so different Electrified? Are you telling me that you had it all figured out? That, I truly doubt! @Gonzo Yes please let me know where your place is. You seem like a cool guy and I would love to get together and chat!

Thanks again everyone for the great advice. Now I can go to bed tonight feeling a little better about tomorrow!

Cheers,

Feeling a Little Better Now

Niceties don't always work out for the best. Someone a while back sold him on how great it is to live in Thailand, the great weather, cheap prices, etc etc etc.. This person came here with the thoughts of being in the 2nd highest income bracket and living in a tropical paradise. Now, they've "soldeverythingandmovedhere" and are having new realizations. Although "elektrified's" words are terse, they are the necessary ones. If this person would have had this advice a year ago, they would have come more prepared, or maybe not at all.

Electrified.. I respect some of your view points. But to say " maybe this is not the place for you" is a little hard". I do not know your personal venture toThailand, but maybe many others have experienced the first culture shock in arriving in Thailand with western ideologies and living standards.

Are, or were we so different upon arrival here and how often did we hear the phrase after a simple posting of help, having arrived here , greeted with the phrase ..."maybe Thailand is not for you". C'mon, Electrified , you have posted many helpful posts to the various newcomers in Thailand. Give the guy something positive and informative to hold on to after arriving here.

Regards

Thanks for that Raindancer! That is what I am talking about. Some expats seem to really give to you on this website. Are we really all so different Electrified? Are you telling me that you had it all figured out?

I for one would not claim to have it figured out from day one, but I have successfully managed to avoid feeling negative and paranoid towards Life in Thailand.

We own two cars, one purchased second hand, the other new. Both are great vehicles. I had the clutch replaced on the second hand vehicle after owning it for 7 years or so. Even that is relatively inexpensive here, though it pays to shop around a bit.

As for 'Thais not taking their vehicles to official dealers' : Try peeking into any brand dealer and note all the people taking their cars in for service. (Especially newer vehicles). As our cars are getting older I find we mix it up a bit, with major service still happening at the dealer, but regular service being done at smaller shops or better gas stations. And then sometimes when the dealer wants some outrageous sum for something silly then I may have it done elsewhere. (Try getting a Xenon light bulb replaced at an official dealer.. You'd think they're made of solid gold.)

Anyway, as for second hand vehicles, as long as you get one that hasn't been totally beat up or crashed you should be fairly safe, given that maintenance/repairs are affordable. If it drives well and straight, no wobbles, no signs of wear on seats/pedals that you wouldn't expect given the claimed mileage then it's hard to go very wrong. For some extra peace of mind to have it checked out by a mechanic. (Possibly a mechanic working at the brand dealer, pay him a couple hundred baht for the service.)

Regards

Now that's well said!!

A rookie mistake is A) not living near the main road(s) or B) living too far from town. Car is an unnecessary luxury in CNX. A good Apartment in town will be less than your car payment. Some of the Songtaews run all night--I think white does to San Kampaeng. I used to get to the airport for the 10 THB yellow fare from ChiangMai Gate, then I would walk the half a mile to the Airport. Save the SUVs for the missionaries, they need them for their fat kids. So many ways to get around. I like the green VIP bus to Chiang Rai. I can remember the days of the Old South in the US. Black families would buy Cadillacs and park them in front of shanty houses that were almost worthless. They were restricted from buying homes in the white neighborhoods, but were allowed to buy the white man's cars. In the long run--houses go up in value, cars go down. You could get a Townhouse in a walkable area for less than a car. It will pay you a nice dividend on the first of every month, and any improvements made will be yours to enjoy. I use a program called www.walkscore.com to find walkable real estate. A little more complicated in Thailand, since people drive like it's Death Race 2000. Pedestrian bridges are a real plus.

Edited by Thighlander

> Car is an unnecessary luxury in CNX.

> I used to get to the airport for the 10 THB yellow fare from ChiangMai Gate, then I would walk the half a mile to the Airport.

:rolleyes:

Consider that many people don't actually WANT to live downtown, and/or in a tiny apartment or condo. Some people move on from their student days.