Thai Wife And I To Immigrate To Usa

Hi

I am about to be married to a Thai Lady. She currently has a 10 year tourist visa.. I am retired.

Clearly my status will change here in Thailand -- marriage visa... I guess..

Will the marriage here in Thailand allow us to go back to the states and live there a year or two..

What kind of application must I make to the US embassy in Chiang Mai.

What are the odds so to speak of being successful here. She does speak and understand English fairly well.

We have been together for 4 years +

Any and all help greatfully appreciated

W

How long is she allowed to stay per visit to the US?, usually 90 days. You can apply for an extension while you're in the US. Google it for more info. As long as your marriage is properly registered you can apply for the marriage visa but you should look into the domicile requirements. Remember if she stays out of the US for a long time after she receives her "Green Card", say longer then a year, she'll more then likely loose her "Green Card" status.

FYI, you cannot apply for a marriage visa at the Chiang Mai consulate, has to be done in Bangkok.

Edited by prism

Hi

Thanks for the reply's

Well I guess it takes about 10 months for the k-3 visa to be issued. I would apply asap

We would like to move to the usa this summer..

Can we go on the tourist visa I have for my wife and wait there till the K-3 visa is issued - I guess we would have to return to

Thailand for this to happen??

Thanks

W

:)

If you have been living legally in Thailand for more than six months, then the fastest way to get a visa (allowing her to immigrate to the USA and receive a GC) is Direct Consular Filing in Bangkok. Typically, to file for an immigrant visa (CR-1 or K-3) you first file with USCIS (part of Dept of Homeland Security) in the USA, wait 3 to 4 months for their approval, then they send to the State Dept (National Visa Center in the States). The NVC forwards it to the embassy in Bangkok. There it is another 1 to 2 months. All total anywhere from 4 to 6 months (unless they request add'l info somewhere along the way). By filing DCF, everything is done in Bangkok, so you bypass the USCIS service center in the USA and NVC (I have seen recent DCFs completed in 2 to 3 months). Contact the USCIS office in Bangkok to determine the residency requirements for DCF.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/embassy/usgmain/uscis.html

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas/immigrant-visa-process.html

Worth noting that the filing of the I-130 with Bangkok USCIS is not a Direct Consulate Filing (DCF). The Bangkok USCIS office requires 12 month residency on long term extension of stay. coming and going on 90 day or less permission to stay stamps are not allowed to file.

Also, on entry to the US, a visitor will normally get 6 month stamp to stay in the US.

TH

Just be sure to not have her overstay and sure going for the K-3 is key.

Good luck; I think you'll do fine. I have heard that the 2 year tourist visa

is the new 10 year tourist visa as of 6 months or so. Can anyone confirm that??

thx in advance