Uk Armed Forces Pension

Raindancer

Is any ex member of the UK Armed Forces receiving their AFPS paid directly into a Thai bank. If so, are there any charges or disadvantages, including not receiving government annual pension increments?

This topic may not interest other readers of this forum. So perhaps it might be courteous to avoid save filling up TV space by replying by PM.

Any help much appreciated.

Thank you

Not an armed services pension but I do receive a Civil Service Pension, I believe the scheme is the same or at least similar.

My pension is uprated annually anywhere in the world, received my 3.1% rise this week, and they will pay it directly into a Thai bank account, the pension payers do not charge but the local bank charges a nominal fee to receive the money, it's not shown on my statement but I think it's in the region of 100 Baht.

The only downside is that they will not send Stirling they purchase Baht in the UK, this week it equated to a rate of 47.45, but that includes the local fee.

I have replied on the forum, as it may well be of interest to more people than you think.

Not an armed services pension but I do receive a Civil Service Pension, I believe the scheme is the same or at least similar.

My pension is uprated annually anywhere in the world, received my 3.1% rise this week, and they will pay it directly into a Thai bank account, the pension payers do not charge but the local bank charges a nominal fee to receive the money, it's not shown on my statement but I think it's in the region of 100 Baht.

The only downside is that they will not send Stirling they purchase Baht in the UK, this week it equated to a rate of 47.45, but that includes the local fee.

I have replied on the forum, as it may well be of interest to more people than you think.

Many thanks for the info. Yes you are correct, in hindsight now this may well be of interest to others in similar schemes.

When you say...."The only downside is that they will not send Stirling they purchase Baht in the UK, this week it equated to a rate of 47.45, but that includes the local fee."

Do you mean that the UK banks charge a small local fee to convert the money into Thai Baht, and then there is an additional charge of 100 baht, by the receiving bank, here in Thailand?

A friend of mine also receives a civil service pension, but as I understood him, the pension provider sends it direct to the Thai bank from the civil service account . Maybe I misunderstood him

Thanks again.

Edited by Raindancer

No, the people that actually pay the pension, Capita in my case, don't charge anything and neither do the UK bank who actually carry out the transaction.

Capita have a contract with Nat West, Nat West buy the Baht and then send it to the Thai bank. My bank, Kasikorn, receive the Baht and charge a fee for receiving the electronic draft, but as I say it's minimal.

No, the people that actually pay the pension, Capita in my case, don't charge anything and neither do the UK bank who actually carry out the transaction.

Capita have a contract with Nat West, Nat West buy the Baht and then send it to the Thai bank. My bank, Kasikorn, receive the Baht and charge a fee for receiving the electronic draft, but as I say it's minimal.

Thanks again.

From the Arrse Web Site.

Xafinity Paymaster will pay into a Thai a/c at a cost to you of less than 3 quid per month. It arrives 2 working days into the month.

Contact details

1. +44 1293 591959

2. overseaspayments @ xafinitypaymaster.com

john

From the Arrse Web Site.

Xafinity Paymaster will pay into a Thai a/c at a cost to you of less than 3 quid per month. It arrives 2 working days into the month.

Contact details

1. +44 1293 591959

john

Thanks Jonwilly...After some research and advice on this forum, I contacted SPVA and xafinitypaymaster.. You are correct in your post. Transfer is at cost of £2.94 per transaction....

I have just received information from them regarding any servicemen/women who have divorced since their retirement and their entitlement to providing a pension to their new spouses upon demise of their own lives ...even if he/she was not married to him/her during their service life and then subsequently married after leaving the services.. This applies to any ex services member who served his/her full time. However the widows pension only counts for a serviceman's service from 1978 for your new spouse.

Hope that makes sense

Pm me for more details if you wish.

Edited by Raindancer

From the Arrse Web Site.

Contact details

1. +44 1293 591959

john

Thanks Jonwilly...After some research and advice on this forum, I contacted SPVA and xafinitypaymaster.. You are correct in your post. Transfer is at cost of £2.94 per transaction....

I have just received information from them regarding any servicemen/women who have divorced since their retirement and their entitlement to providing a pension to their new spouses upon demise of their own lives ...even if he/she was not married to him/her during their service life and then subsequently married after leaving the services.. This applies to any ex services member who served his/her full time. However the widows pension only counts for a serviceman's service from 1978 for your new spouse.

Hope that makes sense

Hi Raindancer

Bit late on the information but I try and keep updates on our Legion website, I have just added the latest War Pension rises at http://www.tropicalberts.com/publications-and-information.html

Cheers

From the Arrse Web Site.

Contact details

1. +44 1293 591959

john

Hope that makes sense

Hi Raindancer

Bit late on the information but I try and keep updates on our Legion website, I have just added the latest War Pension rises at http://www.tropicalb...nformation.html

Cheers

Many thanks. And thank you to everyone for the help.