Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Vows To Crack Down On Thailand Tourist Fraud

webfact

Taxi drivers in Bangkok are great and they've never ripped me off.

You obviously don't know your way around Bangkok very well then! :lol:

Seriously though, even my Thai g/f is constantly complaining about them. And it takes her a lot to get riled up about anything. Her pet hate is their speeding and dangerous driving, especially on the expressways. And there really is no excuse for that, especially with passengers.

My wife told me she bought her car because when raining taxis didn't want to stop for her and when they did they didn't want to put the meter on. but personally I have never experienced this and I often take the taxi as I refuse to drive in Thailand.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, you really think a tourist and his family want to go to school to learn how he and family will be robbed while on holiday? It's this apathetic thinking that nurtures the problem. Eliminate the problem and all will benefit. Thailand will steal a dollar today and loose ten tomorrow, classic.

well ive lived here 17 years,and i find at most checkpoints that i come across,the cops usually wave foreigners on,and if they do stop you its only to ask where you are going.they usually ask if you can speak thai,and ive found if you say no,they wave you on.

The biggest fraud in thailand is the corrupt police pulling every farang they see over in the checkpoints and fining them for bogus things..

I've lived here 11 years and I agree. All the Thais get pulled over and fined and I just get stopped for a chat. Mind you I'm the only ferrang where I live and I'm friends with most of the old bill.

are there still places in thailand nowadays where you can be "the only farang around" ?

I remember in 1993 i rented a flat in soi anuban prani off udomsuk and the only other farang around was a journalist from the nation ... being a farang in udomsuk was fun as every thai guy you came accross wanted to invite you to eat or drink ... nowadays Thais in bangkok are pretty oblivious of your existence and don't even bother to try to overcharge you ( I mean in thai neighbourhoods , not in tourist districts)

Yes where I live. There's a few ferrang that come on holiday to visit their wives but there's non living here.

What jet ski mafia? They don't exactly put a gun to your head and force you to rent one. It's like everything, if you think it's too expensive then don't do it!

Obviously threating someone with a butcher's knife and all the rest is complitely acceptable, but as soon as they will start using something different, even a gun or a bazooka, the "you are a farang and this is Thailand" answer is ready to be used :lol:

What are you on about?

I use to live and work in Malaysia and I still go back rather frequently. Taxis are a serious rip off in the big cities such as KL and Butterworth/Penang. And they are not friendly either! You'll pay ten times the going rate of the biggest scam you'll likely experience in Thailand!

Then you must pick the wrong taxis.

If I stay at a hotel, then the doorman gets me a taxi and I expect to pay a bit over the odds for the assistance, as the taxi driver probably has to pay the doorman.

If I pick up my own taxi on the street, then I pay the metered fare. Maybe a tip on top. Going around KL I usually take half a dozen taxis in the course of a day and total fare amount will be less than US $ 20 for the lot. Maybe you think thta that is being ripped off. I do not.

Singapore - Changi to CBD is around 14 Sing dollars - to River Valley Road about 16 Sing $. That is about US $ 10 for the trip. And metered with a printed receipt.

Thailand is cheaper if you know enough Thai to give destnation and directions, but tourists get fleeced.

Isn't this this same schlemiel who "doesn't respect farangs?"

And his criticism of the cruise line is ludicrous. The tuk-tuk drivers have about as much right to scam cruise ship passengers as I do. *Libelous statement edited out*

When the passengers do get scammed, they blame the cruise line (and could easily sue them - and win) and then guess what? The cruise line avoids Phuket next time.

His comments about foreigners scamming foreigners and Thais and foreigners scamming foreigners is pandering to the Thais listening who might bristle on the notion that they are anything but a nation of honest, hard-working, racist licentious hypocrites.

At least the leadership is maintaining the standards of ineptitude.

There ARE farang swindlers too.

Sad but true.

And his criticism of the cruise line is ludicrous. The tuk-tuk drivers have about as much right to scam cruise ship passengers as I do. *Libelous statement edited out*

When the passengers do get scammed, they blame the cruise line (and could easily sue them - and win) and then guess what? The cruise line avoids Phuket next time.

His comments about foreigners scamming foreigners and Thais and foreigners scamming foreigners is pandering to the Thais listening who might bristle on the notion that they are anything but a nation of honest, hard-working, racist licentious hypocrites.

Sad but true.

Scum Farang con men are rife in Bangkok , Pattaya etc.etc. They prey on their own countrymen and will do anything to stay here.

Yes, by specifying that two out of three categories of tourist scammer, it can give the impression that the majority of crimes against tourists involves foreigners - which of course is more dishonourable because it is supposed to be worse to cheat your own race - and Thailand still maintains this "Thai rak Thai" illusion that Thais are all good to each other and band together and don't loot the pockets of the living, the dead or the suffering of their own kind.

at the taxi queue you get a paper with the taxi licence plate number and a phone number for complaints USE IT !

Use it to do what?

The two occasions I have submitted complaints using the paper have both gone unanswered.

SabaiBKK doesn't realise that the queue he's talking about that use to charge a flat 50 baht fee was really a gang that got the boot some months ago. It sounds like he hasn't been to the airport recently. That illegal queue wasn't available that night. Everyone went to the departure lane upstairs and EVERYONE (including all Thais) got the same treatment. All of the Thais paid the flat rate. I was the rare one who refused!

It is a terrible reflection on any country when they stand idly by and watch a gang of thugs blocking tourists, who are there to spend money, because the tour company/cruise line knew full well from previous trips what would happen and so wanted to avoid their passengers being ripped off.

This is but one small scam in the Land of Smiles (what a laugh). It's endemic where foreigners are present and worst of all is the criminals, and that is what they are in other more civilised parts of the world, are fully aided and abetted by the authorities.

What hope has this guy of ever fixing this scandalous situation? I fear none.

I use to live and work in Malaysia and I still go back rather frequently. Taxis are a serious rip off in the big cities such as KL and Butterworth/Penang. And they are not friendly either! You'll pay ten times the going rate of the biggest scam you'll likely experience in Thailand!

Then you must pick the wrong taxis.

If I stay at a hotel, then the doorman gets me a taxi and I expect to pay a bit over the odds for the assistance, as the taxi driver probably has to pay the doorman.

If I pick up my own taxi on the street, then I pay the metered fare. Maybe a tip on top. Going around KL I usually take half a dozen taxis in the course of a day and total fare amount will be less than US $ 20 for the lot. Maybe you think thta that is being ripped off. I do not.

I find this hard to believe as the shortest two minute drive will cost you at least 10 ringgit. That's about $3 at least each time and rarely will they even start the engine for anything under 15 ringgit.

And if you have anything more than one bag, you can expect to pay at least 30 ringgit for a five minute drive. That's the equivalent of paying 300 bahtt for a five minute drive! NEVER have I ever had a Thai taxi driver work that bad even in the worst of all scams I've come across, but it's really normal in Malaysia!

Instead of complaining constantly about everything Thai we could all just go back to our overtaxed over PC feminist men hating unsmiling countries where we could find a lot more to complain about

What and who are "over PC feminist men"???? I know you mean politically correct but what are feminist men exactly?

I would assume that he is talking about men like ladyboys and other non hetro men. Not sure but I think that is what a feminist man is as he is refering.

Amazing how sentences can change their meaning when a comma is missing. :)... PC feminist, men hating, unsmiling etc

Edited by Chan mai roo crap

I think the focus should be more on educating the tourist, to look out for certain fraud schemes and would be far cheaper to write up and post important information. Trying to bust mafia's and scam tour companies, jet ski et. The people doing the fraud would have to expose themselves even more to succeed in their rip off schemes. Just a thoughtcrazy.gif

Our dep P.M. VOWS to crack down on fraud. Has he just been notified that it is going on here in LOS. How many years has this lot been obvious ???? A saying is--it's all my eye and Betty Martin-- male cattle dung But did it read he is sending a minister to Bkk and another to Pattaya ??? to do the job-or report the findings 555555555555.. They in turn will report back to tell him it's the truth or not. AFTER THEIR HOLIDAY. just rediculous. If this dep PM don't know already he shouldn't be in his position. They could do with a billion gallons of DETTOL here to clean the place up.

iv lived in thailand for 6 years 1 year in samui 1 year in phuket 4 years in chiang mai i have never ever been scammed its commonsense not to buy things your not sure

of the value not to go to places recommended by tuk tuk drivers not to get involved in deals that seem to good to be true coz guess what they wont be true

every time iv meet someone that says iv been conned they are unshaven un showerd greedy types in wife beater vests the type that thai con men love

iv never had a problem with the police i find them friendly and helpful same story the types that do have problems are the guys in the bar telling there story

of how they got stitched up by the police blah blah blah all the decent ex pats and tourist dont have a problem

but if you are drunk being a pain and shouting at bar staff calling them whores and bitches and the cops turn up drag you off and fine you then you only have yourself to blame

thailand is a wounder fun peaceful place with a different out look to the west learn it respect it if you cant find someplace els coz we dont want you nor will we miss you

Sad but true.

Indeed, just talk to the German mafia in Pattaya and they'll be happy to tell you all about it. Just be prepared to drink heavily as it gets it little hard to swallow sometimes. Plenty of people get knocked off here. Thailand can be a very dangerous place.

Wow!

I truly love how the "Thaier Than Thai" farang Always blame other farang for being victims of crime.

I wonder if their wife, mother or sister gets raped will they blame them too?

Criminals commit crimes hence the label.

DO NOT blame victims!

This country teaches their young how to steal-swindle-con-scam before they learn to read and write.

Also they teach them to Not wear helmets-wait your turn-stop at red lights-follow the rules-obey the law because they are superior to the world.

That is the problem!

Sad but true.

'Sad but true'.

I KNOW many farang are cheating/thieves here in LOS. BUT. They are not the of the same stamp as those that 'want to stay here and do anything to that end' (At least two friends have had to throw in the towel and to return to their home countries to earn enough to come back. Fair enough.

BUT. That the sociopathic bastards here are ALLOWED to carry on regardless with their wicked ways, by way of Thailand's lax/retarded Thai 'Laws'

That's where your 'mafia' come in. 'Less you want to roll over ...

C'MON C'MON ...

Edited by inmysights

Sad but true.

Indeed, just talk to the German mafia in Pattaya and they'll be happy to tell you all about it. Just be prepared to drink heavily as it gets it little hard to swallow sometimes. Plenty of people get knocked off here. Thailand can be a very dangerous place.

very true thailand can be a very dangerous place but id say that you are safer here than most thai visa users are in the own country

if you get involved in something you should not be involved in with people that are upto to no good and come on there not hard to spot

i dont know one person that has been mugged

or had there car stolen

or had there property broken into

after 6 years of being here i think thats good as i could not say the same of my so called civilized country

Sad but true.

very true thailand can be a very dangerous place but id say that you are safer here than most thai visa users are in the own country

if you get involved in something you should not be involved in with people that are upto to no good and come on there not hard to spot

or had there car stolen

after 6 years of being here i think thats good as i could not say the same of my so called civilized country

'Farang', per se, are bit further ahead in the 'crim' stakes than 'breaking and entering' and 'nicking cars'. Where you from? Salford?

Sad but true.

or had there car stolen

'Farang', per se, are bit further ahead in the 'crim' stakes than 'breaking and entering' and 'nicking cars'. Where you from? Salford?

i feel much safer in thailand goin about that i do in my own country its common scene not to get involved in things you dont understand

i never feel uneasy goin to the cash point even late at night even in bkk ok people do get ripped off but there are always the type looking to make easy money

and money is never easy

Sad but true.

or had there car stolen

I wonder if most farangs live a sheltered life here in the LOS. In Thailand, I've met many people who've been robbed (sometimes brutely), had their boats stolen and properties broken into multiple times. Most of the decent foreign business owners end up jaded within 5 years and return home broke. I've heard the horror stories first hand!

You don't even have to get involved with the wrong people or something you shouldn't to get yourself into trouble. Just having money can be enough to entice the greedy rotten bunch to do you some harm for a few baht.

Sad but true.

or had there car stolen

I wonder if most farangs live a sheltered life here in the LOS. In Thailand, I've met many people who've been robbed (sometimes brutely), had their boats stolen and properties broken into multiple times. Most of the decent foreign business owners end up jaded within 5 years and return home broke. I've heard the horror stories first hand!

You don't even have to get involved with the wrong people or something you shouldn't to get yourself into trouble. Just having money can be enough to entice the greedy rotten bunch to do you some harm for a few baht.

im sorry but iv been here 6 years and iv never felt in any danger iv never been treated nastily or badly im not bragging but im not short of money so its not that im not worth robbing

iv heard the same horror storys but what iv found is if you dig deeper and get to the truth theres more to it than meets the eye silly people getting involved in things they really dont understand

they move to a country were

1 they dont speak the lingo

2 they trust people just coz they smile and are polite and the suns shining

3 they ask advice from people that have everything to gain from lien to them

4 use the lawyer that the person there dealing with recommends why on earth would you do that ?but people do

anyone that intends on buying into anything in thailand should spend a year here first get a feel for the place learn to speak thai is a must if you are working with people the very least you should be able

to do is be able to talk to them i know a lot of people here that are doing ok just by using some common sense and due diligence

Sad but true.

or had there car stolen

wow one wonders why you are still here after all this !

your Thailand is a very nasty place unlike the Thailand i know... but of course I don't live in pattaya or phuket ...... run for your life forest.......

SabaiBKK, I have never been to Phuket and I've spent very little time in Pattaya. See, I've had a really good experience myself here in Thailand or I would be gone. But unlike you, I listen to people who haven't been so lucky and I show empathy instead of trying to find some silly way to blame victims. Remember when there was a time when people use to regularly blame rape victims or those who've been beaten up by a spouse. Times are changing. Showing empathy and compassion is a higher trait. Maybe you could learn a little something by going to a few buddhist temples.

im sick and tired of people bashing thailand constantly moaning bar stole wing bags iv lost everything my wife is sleeping with her x thai boy friend my house is in her name blah blah blah

dont marry a hooker you met 6 weeks ago dont buy a bar no one sells anything if it makes money

if you dont like it theres a very easy way to solve the problem get on a plane and leave and let the people that like being here enjoy it

thailand is not a nasty place it a nice place with a few nasty people that go after a certon type iv never met anyone with the good sense to be careful have a problem

the wife beater vest wherein tattoo brigade keep the thai mafia and con men very happy and busy

if you dont fall into that category then you have nothing to worry about

When it comes to cheating tourists, Cambodia, Lao and Malaysia are a lot worse.

MALAYSIA?

Have you actually been there? Not once have I ever been a victim, so to speak. Sure some have 'tried it on' but it is nowhere near as endemic as it is in THailand.

Uh, what?

Just ask for a meter...

Uh, what?

Just ask for a meter...

Read this:

http://www.virtualto...Taxis-BR-1.html

and this: Malaysia Taxi Service Among the Worst

http://skorcareer.co...rst/2008/07/01/

The most frequent complaints by the respondents were the overcharging practice and refusal to take passengers who were not agreeable to a flat fee. Some of them went to the extend of labeling the Malaysian taxi service as 'a national disgrace', 'source of national shame' and 'a threat to tourists'.

Dream on - this Man is just a politician trying to keep his face in the headlines as an election looms. Like His compatriates in Government the Minister has no hope of bringing about such cultural changes and will receive lip service only.