Fatal Accident At Waterfall In Thailand Claims The Life Of A British Woman

webfact

Trainee teacher Sarah Crutchley dies in waterfall accident in Thailand

A BOURNEMOUTH woman has died in a freak accident in Thailand.

Sarah Crutchley was on a course learning to teach English as a foreign language on the Thai island of Koh Lipe when she slipped at a waterfall during a break from training last Friday.

The students had a week off for the Thai holiday known as Songkhran following their final day of teaching practice on April 7.

A spokesperson for Teacha Language School, which runs the training course, said: “Sarah went to a waterfall with friends and she slipped and fell.

“We are still waiting to find out exactly how she died, whether it was drowning or head injuries – we don’t know at this moment.”

Full story: http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/8981556.Teacher_dies_on_visit_to_Thai_falls/

-- bournemouthecho.co.uk 2011-04-19

footer_n.gif

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

She was robbed on Koh Lipe a few nights beforehand too.

Most foreigners are robbed here at one time or another, the reason being is that they do not take enough care. OR it's just that type of place. This is another young life wasted and wait to see what actually happened.

Most foreigners are robbed here at one time or another, the reason being is that they do not take enough care. OR it's just that type of place. This is another young life wasted and wait to see what actually happened.

'Most foreigners are robbed here at one time or another'...any stats to back up that comment?

'Most foreigners are robbed here at one time or another'...any stats to back up that comment?

A new study published this week found that Britons travelling to Thailand face the highest risk of theft, food poisoning, traffic accidents and loss of belongings.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/735826/Thailand-tops-holiday-hazard-table.html

Happy to help.

A new study published this week found that Britons travelling to Thailand face the highest risk of theft, food poisoning, traffic accidents and loss of belongings.

http://www.telegraph...zard-table.html

Happy to help.

I would hardly call 15 Jul 2006 "this week".

<br />A profanity laced post which was derogatory in nature of Thais which derailed into a rant on moderation has been removed.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Sounds like an interesting post !!!

Was this reported?

Its not in the linked article.

The Sun's report:

Sarah Crutchley had been walking across submerged rocks when she slipped and was swept away last Friday.

The 30-year-old, from Bournemouth, Dorset, had been learning to teach English as a foreign language on a Tefl course in the country.

She was on a week off from the training at the Teacha Language School in the southern city of Hat Yai when the tragedy happened.

continued here:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3535630/Brit-teacher-dies-in-waterfall-horror.html

This report does not state she was robbed either.

Suggest you post a source for your information oberkommando.

The Mail

A British woman, 30, has been killed in a tragic accident after being swept 300ft down a waterfall in Thailand.

Aspiring teacher Sarah Crutchley lost her footing as she walked across submerged rocks and fell into two feet of water close to the edge of the Ton Nga Chang falls.

She managed to grab hold of a large rock for a few seconds but was washed away by the fierce torrent of water last Friday.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1378452/British-woman-30-killed-falling-300ft-waterfall-Thailand.html#ixzz1Jz5qMvqb

This one doesn't say anything about being robbed either.

Unless i see witness statements written by fellow expats then i am afraid i take with a pinch of salt what is said by authorities in Thailand

RIP Sarah

Read the news articles. Her friend saw the entire thing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/735826/Thailand-tops-holiday-hazard-table.html

Happy to help.

Austria was highlighted as the place where Britons were most likely to suffer a skiing or snowboarding accident. Over-exposure to sun was most likely in Mexico.

So between snowboarding and sunburns there is a lot left, and I am pretty sure not only Brits are affected (by not taking care) Thailand must be somewhere between Austria and Mexico. :whistling:

From: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1378452/British-woman-30-killed-falling-300ft-waterfall-Thailand.html#ixzz1Jz5qMvqb , it says:

Speaking from the family's £300,000 detached house in Winton, Bournemouth, they said: 'We are too upset to speak about what has happened.'

What does value of the family's house have anything to do with this?

Dave.

Happy to help.

Doesn't seem to be any help there. take your blinders off and look at the big picture.

Unless i see witness statements written by fellow expats then i am afraid i take with a pinch of salt what is said by authorities in Thailand

RIP Sarah

Your comment begs the question why you did not take a few minutes to check the story out before making your comment.

This is a classic death by misadventure. One look at the location, Ton Nga Chang falls, and the scenario should have gained immediate credibility. People just don't get that walking around slippery surfaces where there is a strong current is unsafe. Added to that is the eyewitness statement;

Chris Penny, who witnessed her fall to her death said he desperately tried to reach Miss Crutchley as she clung on for life to the boulder. The 21-year-old said today: 'Sarah was just swept off her feet by the water. She grabbed hold of a large rock and hung on for about two or three seconds". 'She slid about 10 metres down the rocks and then fell over the edge. It must have been about a 100 metre drop. It was just horrible to watch. I think she was knocked out cold during the first fall and she wouldn't have known anything about it. She didn't stand a chance."

Is that sufficient enough for you to abandon your view that this tragedy is the product of a conspiracy?

Edited by geriatrickid

A profanity laced post which was derogatory in nature of Thais which derailed into a rant on moderation has been removed.

That's a shame, it sounded a fun read :lol:

When I was a moderator (elsewhere), I always used to leave rants for the enjoyment of others. It's always nice to start the day with a laugh.

For the record, I have never been robbed in Thailand (other than as a result of failing to sufficiently haggle at the tourist markets). I did have part of a wireless mouse stolen once from my hotel room in SE Asia, but that was in Vietnam, not Thailand.

There was also the time I left a backpack full of cameras and other expensive things in a taxi after coming from the airport. Late at night and I knew it was hopeless to return to the airport, but I did. That effort did not result in success. Greatly disappointed in myself for being so stupid and careless, I was delighted to find that the taxi driver had found it and gone back to the hotel to return it to me. Nothing inside was missing.

Now, I do know that robbery occurs in Thailand. But comments such as the ones above paint with an awfully wide brush. Generally, I feel just as safe or safer in Thailand than I do in other parts of the world, and as a rule, trust the police here as much or more than those in other countries. Caveats: I do live here now. I do not go anywhere in tuk-tuks. I do not rent jet skis.

May Sarah rest in peace.

Edited by RedQualia

Yeah, and by all means, please break it down:

1. Physically by unknown assailants

2. Via marriage to a Thai

3. Via governmental departments (politicians, customs, immigration, police, etc.)

4. Via private enterprise (jetski rentals, hotel, bar tabs, contracts, etc.)

5. Via other expats

6. Via Thai Employees

Any more?

Happy to help.

"The majority of holidays go off without a hitch" - quote from your link

This clearly states most holiday makers do not get robbed.

I have lived here for ten years and visited for ten years before that – I have never been robbed. I was scammed once, for a bottle of Brandy, when I was green.

Neiher is falling from a height on rugged terrain at a waterfall a 'freak' accident. More accurately, it is an accident waiting to happen.

That's why, for example, in the US Niagra is fenced off, pathways are man made, barriers constructed and protective clothing provided. Whereas in Thailand you congregate at the edge and are encouraged to do so.

Unfortunately, it takes time to come up to speed in Thailand; an awareness of the inherent dangers of a couldn't careless, careless country, takes time to acquire and fly-in well intentioned tourists are simply blind to the danger.

It does not do Thailand any good whatsoever that the unfortunate young person was also robbed earlier in her stay.

At leats she didn't experience rape on one of these lovely holiday islands, followed by murder and dumping in the sea. Sees to be a seasonal favourite amongst the transient fisherfolk.

Parents, is they are able to exert any influence on their almost adult off spring, would be wise to advise Libya or Somalia or Christian missionary work in North Korea before accepting Thailand as a destination of choice.

A tragic loss and an awful waste of life.

Happy to help.

The statement that theft, food poisoning and traffic accidents are the most common risks here for Britons does NOT EQUAL that most Britons are robbed here. Let alone all foreigners. To my experiance it is quite the opposite. You very rarely get robbed here compared to most other countries.