Who'S Going? Tour De Isan Charity Bicycle Ride!

PaulHamon

The 4th Annual Tour de Isan is an 11 day charity bicycle tour through the Northeast region of Thailand.

This event starts in the town of Nong Khai on the Thai/Laos border and then winds 800 kilometers in 8 days of riding along the mighty Mekong River to Ubon Ratchathani with a day off in Nakhon Panom for rest, relaxation, and sightseeing.

We will take you through the emerald green rice fields of the Northeastern heartland and show you the beauty and ecological importance of the Mekong River. This ride shows you where few tourists have ventured before and finishes in the thriving city of Ubon Ratchathani during their lovely Annual International Wax Sculpture Festival.

During the tour all accommodations and most meals are included. On riding days we provide plenty of water, fresh fruit, and electrolytes at water stops every 18-28 km. We also provide a full fleet of support vehicles to carry your luggage, assist with bike repairs, or to help a rider whose legs might need a rest.

I did in 1st year, was amazing... very much looking forward to doing it again this year!

Tour-de-Thailand-Northeastern-Ride.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

The Tour de France is a full on bicycle race for professionals. It covers up to 280km a day at speeds of 45km per hour.

Why call a charity bicycle ride Tour de .... unless it is to dupe the participants that they are riding a race and not just touring around at slow speeds for fun and enjoyment?

So you are saying that any 'bicycle' event titled 'Tour of' has to be seen as a 'Full on Race' merely by implication that the 'Tour de France' is a 'Full on Race'..... Really?? Have you looked up the meaning of the word 'Tour', whether with regard to cycling, holidaying, motorcycling, trekking.....

So no one is allowed to call an event 'Tour de..... whatever' unless it is a full on bicycle race for professionals?? Check the web site for the 'Tour de Isaan' and you will clearly see that it is not a professional race, but 'merely' a bicycle 'event', which also happens to raise money for charity. Anything wrong with that, or are you a "Rights Holder" to some cycling event (Race?) called 'Tour de .........' Think you need to chill out and take events for what they are.

Anything wrong with touring around at slow speeds for fun and enjoyment (whilst also raising money for charity?)

The Tour de France is a full on bicycle race for professionals. It covers up to 280km a day at speeds of 45km per hour.

Why call a charity bicycle ride Tour de .... unless it is to dupe the participants that they are riding a race and not just touring around at slow speeds for fun and enjoyment?

So you are saying that any 'bicycle' event titled 'Tour of' has to be seen as a 'Full on Race' merely by implication that the 'Tour de France' is a 'Full on Race'..... Really?? Have you looked up the meaning of the word 'Tour', whether with regard to cycling, holidaying, motorcycling, trekking.....

So no one is allowed to call an event 'Tour de..... whatever' unless it is a full on bicycle race for professionals?? Check the web site for the 'Tour de Isaan' and you will clearly see that it is not a professional race, but 'merely' a bicycle 'event', which also happens to raise money for charity. Anything wrong with that, or are you a "Rights Holder" to some cycling event (Race?) called 'Tour de .........' Think you need to chill out and take events for what they are.

Anything wrong with touring around at slow speeds for fun and enjoyment (whilst also raising money for charity?)

The word 'Tour' is a corruption of the French 'round'. Nothing wrong with slow rides - I do them all the time. It's about perception. People call their events 'Tour de' because it piggybacks on the fame of the Tour de France. Also many people do not understand the Tour de France "Why can I ride the Tour de Issan but not the Tour de France?" is a question I heard some time ago. Your post is a unnecessarily aggressive and completely misses the point of my post.

Anyone who wonders why they can ride an obvious charity event in Isaan Thailand and are unable to compete in the most prestigious and well known bike race in the world is obviously a moron.

Edited by edwinchester

Anyone who wonders why they can ride an obvious charity event in Isaan Thailand and are unable to compete in the most prestigious and well known bike race in the world is obviously a moron.

I think the point is that its hardly original to call an event such as this Tour de (something). I would have been more impressed if the organisers had come up with something like Bike Isaan or The Isaan Cycle Tour or even Isaan Madness (by cycle).

To me its nicking someone else's brand. But as a racing cyclist for more years than I care to mention, I have been approached by many people thinking the London to Brighton mass participation bike ride is a race and so on. Maybe a lot of morons out there but I guess not a lot of people know much about this cinderella sport of ours. One of my staff (an intelligent lady by all accounts) once said to me "I rode a bike race on Sunday". "Did you win?" I asked. "I don't know" she said "There was a lot of people riding". She had just ridden a 30 mile charity ride around Oxford. Took her more than 3 hours. But she was definitely not a moron. Just ill-informed and not helped by organisers who don't describe their events correctly.

I too am an ex racer from the UK. GS Europa on the south coast. I also took part in an annual charity event organised by my employer called The Tour de Stockbridge. Everyone knew it was a charity event and none of the 'pros' who took part were so anal to be upset by the event name.

I might ride it but the main thing that puts me off about the entrant requirements is "Riders must meet fundraising requirements of US$500" (re http://tourdeisan.com). They also are charging US$995 as an entry fee on top of that. I'm OK with the $1000 entrance fee if it 's a well organized fully supported tour, even if it was $1500 I'd be OK with it. What I'm not OK with though is the requirement that I go out begging for a total of $500 from probably disinterested people in order to enter it, I'd rather just pay they $500 myself and be done with it. Probably that's anal too though.Seems like an odd marketing strategy. $1000 is a pretty steep price in Thailand for doing just about anything for 10 days, implying that they are aiming for a pretty affluent clientele, but then they expect their clients to go out soliciting donations from from god knows who as if they were a kid trying to raise money for their Little League team.

Edited by OriginalPoster

I went on the Tour de Isan in July 2008 and it was awesome, I'm really looking forward to doing it again.

Also have done the Tour de Thailand in December 2009 which is a 30 days ride over 2300kms, was great fun also.

If you look at most of the organised bicycle touring in Thailand, for example Spiceroads,

all of there riding tours in Thailand of 11 days are over US$1500 and towards like US$1900.

The price is very resonable, and be best part is $500 is going to a decent charity Operation Smile.

In 2008, I paid the donation amount myself because I didn't have the time to raise the $$$ for the charity but in

2009 I was back in Australia and organised a fundraising event with 2 friends and we raised $7,500 for Operation Smile.

I guess if you're a charity minded person, who wants to meet other people like that... it's NOT ABOUT THE DOLLARS anyway...

I went on the Tour de Isan in July 2008 and it was awesome, I'm really looking forward to doing it again.

Also have done the Tour de Thailand in December 2009 which is a 30 days ride over 2300kms, was great fun also.

If you look at most of the organised bicycle touring in Thailand, for example Spiceroads,

all of there riding tours in Thailand of 11 days are over US$1500 and towards like US$1900.

The price is very resonable, and be best part is $500 is going to a decent charity Operation Smile.

In 2008, I paid the donation amount myself because I didn't have the time to raise the $ for the charity but in

2009 I was back in Australia and organised a fundraising event with 2 friends and we raised $7,500 for Operation Smile.

I guess if you're a charity minded person, who wants to meet other people like that... it's NOT ABOUT THE DOLLARS anyway...

Yeah, I know, probably 10 days of trekking outside of Chiang Mai would cost more than US$1500 if booked from an agent outside of Thailand too. Compared to other Thai-themed package tours sold abroad, this one may in fact be a bargain. Still, if I pony up my cash, I'll be hoping that more than $500 out of the required minimum ante of $1500 would make it to the benefiting charity.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Yeah, I know, probably 10 days of trekking outside of Chiang Mai would cost more than US$1500 if booked from an agent outside of Thailand too. Compared to other Thai-themed package tours sold abroad, this one may in fact be a bargain. Still, if I pony up my cash, I'll be hoping that more than $500 out of the required minimum ante of $1500 would make it to the benefiting charity.

$500 towards a chartiy is a lot better than nothing. I guess if someone I wanted to donate more, I coud put on my pannier and ride it by myself for unde $300 for 11 days... and give $1200 the charity, but I like riding with other people and not pulling my your bags in a plus!