Teaching Opportunities?

dddave

My nephew in Boston, in his early 40's, will soon be emerging from a prolonged divorce and is looking to get far away for a few years. He has taught in the Boston public schools at the elementary level for five years, has a Masters degree (not sure in what) and loves teaching.

What would be his chances of finding a teaching position at an upper level Bangkok International School and what kind of salary range would be realistic. I guess I should mention: he was adopted as an infant by my sister and is black.

Will all doors be closed to him or are there some schools that encourage diversity? I don't want to encourage him if his chances are slim.

If not Thailand, are there any other Asian nations that might be more open?

He should apply for the 'true blue' international schools through his home country. There is limited hiring locally, as I understand it. For the schools with international in their name, he might have a good chance. Salary--not sure?

He should apply for the 'true blue' international schools through his home country. There is limited hiring locally, as I understand it. For the schools with international in their name, he might have a good chance. Salary--not sure?

What schools would qualify for the exalted appellation of "True Blue"?

I'll be the first to say it (briefly): the fact that he is Black could very possibly limit his opportunities. It's horribly unjust (and it's not going to be a popular comment) but that's the reality.

Would it preclude him getting a job? I doubt that. But as I say, it might have some impact on what's offered to him.

A lot of schools put the word in international in their name When people talk about international schools, they are usually referring to those that follow the curriculum from a particular country and meet the qualifications of the education system of that country.

These schools usually recruit teachers from their country of origin rather than locally, although some teachers may be hired locally.