Recommendations For Ob/Gyn In Bangkok

jeffgood

Greetings,

My girlfriend is 2 months pregnant. We are both from the UK and live and work in Bangkok. We are currently looking for an Ob/Gyn doctor to take us through the pregnancy. We live near the Emporium and so have met with a doctor in Samitiwej Sukhumvit, however we both felt that he was not as helpful/friendly as we expected and are therefore looking for any Ob/Gyn recommendations based on personal experiences of other ThaiVisa members.

We would like the hospital to be a true International standard hospital and obviously an excellent understanding of English is a must, it would also be beneficial if the hospital was located near our home.

I would be very grateful for any recommendations and helpful comments.

Regards,

Jeff.

Well first, it depends on what type of birth she wants.

Also, some hospitals have 90-99% C-section rates when the WHO says it should be 10-15%. Don't think you'll be one of those that bucks the system and gets the vaginal birth. I've seen it happen too many times where someone thinks they'll be the one who gets that one natural/vaginal birth a month that a hospital does, and of course they don't.

Near Emporium, the obvious choice for quality of care, English, and lowest C-section rate of the private hospitals would be Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital. Dr. Sankiat, Dr. Nissarat, and Dr. Yaowalak are the most supportive of vaginal birth.

Hope that helps.

Our daughter was born at Kasemrad Prachacheun (near the 10/55 Baht toll gates on the expressway heading North) 2 1/2 years ago and my wife is 6 weeks pregnant again so we are going back to the same doctor. He is very nice and helpful, most of the discussion is in Thai but where I have had a specific question in English he has answered it.

PM me if it is not to far out of your way and I can get his details from the wife for you?

Well first, it depends on what type of birth she wants.

Also, some hospitals have 90-99% C-section rates when the WHO says it should be 10-15%. Don't think you'll be one of those that bucks the system and gets the vaginal birth. I've seen it happen too many times where someone thinks they'll be the one who gets that one natural/vaginal birth a month that a hospital does, and of course they don't.

Near Emporium, the obvious choice for quality of care, English, and lowest C-section rate of the private hospitals would be Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital. Dr. Sankiat, Dr. Nissarat, and Dr. Yaowalak are the most supportive of vaginal birth.

Hope that helps.

Can attest to the above.

My wife had Dr Sankiat. He US trained.

He comes across as 'Dr Fluffy' during the consults which puts some people off, but he turns into 'Dr Superman' during the delivery, which is when it counts. As others have said, he is a big supporter of natural birth and will be there. He was there for us from 12pm to 6am for our first child, and there at midnight again for our second daughter.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I notice Dr Sankiat's name crops up a few times, I think we will go and meet with him. Maybe a bit awkward having been disappointed with another doctor in the same hospital, but I think it is very important to have a good relationship with the doc.

Someone else has given me the name of Dr.Noppadol at Bumrungrad as he is apparently British raised and very personable, does anyone have any experience with him that they could share? Samitivej Sukhumvit is a more convenient location for us, but for the right doctor we could go to Bumrungrad...

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I notice Dr Sankiat's name crops up a few times, I think we will go and meet with him. Maybe a bit awkward having been disappointed with another doctor in the same hospital, but I think it is very important to have a good relationship with the doc.

Someone else has given me the name of Dr.Noppadol at Bumrungrad as he is apparently British raised and very personable, does anyone have any experience with him that they could share? Samitivej Sukhumvit is a more convenient location for us, but for the right doctor we could go to Bumrungrad...

Thanks again.

Hi,

my wife and I have just found out that we are pregnant and are now actively searching the right Dr to help us out. How did you get on with your search? Any help, hints, tips you can pass on would be very grately appreciated. I understand you must now be extremely busy but I have absolutely no idea what i'm doing so any help would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance

Have had great experience with Phaya Thai 2 - just up the road from you, delivery was great, small problem at birth they spotted, so he was kept in a incubator (I know that's not the right word) for a day,

I was there for birth, Caesor as first baby was a caesor as well in a tiny bush hospital wich chickens literally outside the door.

They checked us in at midnight, as that way we didn't have to pay a full day, I was expected to sleep in the room with my wife, a Thai custom I think is great. 'Cept I got my niece to sleep in there as well, better at looking after the wife than I was useless klutz I am.

We've kept going back to the hospital for various things, wife and my mum are both hypochondriacs, so my wife loves it when my mum comes and visits, BUT the hospital is very good for every occasion.