Karaoke - Is It Safe?

mallmagician

Actually, in my case the danger lies in not going to a karaoke bar on the basis that the Authorities may think (with some justification) that the owners may have paid me to stay away and not empty the place with my legendary rendition of Willie The Pimp. ;)

No, Karaoke is NOT safe!

John Denver karaoke sparks killing spree

08 Mar 2008 A gunman in Thailand shot-dead eight neighbours, including his brother-in-law, after tiring of their karaoke versions of popular songs, including John Denver’s Country Roads...

"I warned these people about their noisy karaoke parties. I said if they carried on I would go down and shoot them. I had told them if I couldn’t talk sense into them I would come back and finish them off," he added.

And apparently The Guardian said:

Karaoke rage is not unheard of in Asia. There have been several reported cases of singers being assaulted, shot or stabbed mid-performance, usually over how songs are sung. Frank Sinatra’s “My Way” has reportedly generated so many outbursts of hostility that some bars in the Philippines now do not offer it on the karaoke menu anymore.

And I remmeber the big story in the 80s of a very famous Hi-So architect who shot and killed a guy who was hoggin gthe microphone...

Karaoke is clearly extremely dangerous. If you absolutely must drunkenly sing along to Yesterday, use body armor.

No, Karaoke is NOT safe!

John Denver karaoke sparks killing spree

08 Mar 2008 A gunman in Thailand shot-dead eight neighbours, including his brother-in-law, after tiring of their karaoke versions of popular songs, including John Denver's Country Roads...

"I warned these people about their noisy karaoke parties. I said if they carried on I would go down and shoot them. I had told them if I couldn't talk sense into them I would come back and finish them off," he added.

And apparently The Guardian said:

Karaoke rage is not unheard of in Asia. There have been several reported cases of singers being assaulted, shot or stabbed mid-performance, usually over how songs are sung. Frank Sinatra's "My Way" has reportedly generated so many outbursts of hostility that some bars in the Philippines now do not offer it on the karaoke menu anymore.

And I remmeber the big story in the 80s of a very famous Hi-So architect who shot and killed a guy who was hoggin gthe microphone...

Karaoke is clearly extremely dangerous. If you absolutely must drunkenly sing along to Yesterday, use body armor.

No surprise here really. I've been wanting to murder people who can't sing but think they can for many years. Difference is, this bloke actually went and did it !

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun MallMagician,

Before a little squamous cell carcinoma wrecked our lower tongue four years ago, and reshaped our glottis, we used to love to sing, but finding a karaoke venue in Chiang Mai that was not:

1. a rip-off, which, when not busy trying to rent us companions for pank-of-hank, was padding the bill big-time.

2. was not full of drunks, with at least one totally soused Japanese murdering "My Way."

3. was, back then, full of smokers

Was ... problematic.

So, even though we could, back then, make even the waiters cry with our rendition of "Unchained Melody," we have not since then, ventured forth into karaoke-land, and rendered even ladies-for-rent snot-nosed with our rendition of Mongsit Kamsoi's "Sang Narn," or Saranya's "Noi Pai."

But, if anyone knows a place where people actually go to sing, where promoting temporary companion$hip is not the primary purpose of the venue, and some actually good (Thai or farang) singers sing, we'd love to go and listen, provided they wouldn't kick us out for spending less than 200-300 baht or so for two orange-juices, or sodas with nam manao.

Would say the biggest danger is getting stuck with the padded bill, and then the usual extortion, plus ear damage from the sound system, and psychological damage from hearing "My Way."

best, Bill

Edited by orang37

You could go to one of those karaoke studios that you see in the malls. One of my Thai teachers said that if she's having a bad day, she'll sometimes go rent a karaoke room at one of the mall studios and sing for an hour. She said she always feel so much better afterwards -- it's a great stress reliever. Don't know if she also consumes any of the alcoholic products available for sale at these places!

I went to Valentines karaoke with a few friends and got there in there, sat in the main room and ordered one beer each (4) and we see they are 200 baht, so we immediately just ask for the bill. They take forever to bring us the bill. The girls come in the room and line up, we just ask for the bill again. Two girls sit down and we ask them for the bill again. They are pouring us our beers behind a pillar so we can not see. Two of my friends OKAY one lady drink while we are waiting for the check. So, thats a total of 6 drinks. They bring us the check.

4,800 baht.

we were charged ~300 three times for "mamasan fees"

the girls apparently drank like twenty five drinks in the fifteen minutes

we "drank two beers each" for eight beers

we got charged 450 + 450 for an "hour" with each of the girls

and a lot of other fees that were obviously fabricated. We literally did nothing else and we were immediately asking for the check.

standard.

Edited by czGLoRy

I went to Valentines karaoke with a few friends and got there in there, sat in the main room and ordered one beer each (4) and we see they are 200 baht, so we immediately just ask for the bill. They take forever to bring us the bill. The girls come in the room and line up, we just ask for the bill again. Two girls sit down and we ask them for the bill again. They are pouring us our beers behind a pillar so we can not see. Two of my friends OKAY one lady drink while we are waiting for the check. So, thats a total of 6 drinks. They bring us the check.

4,800 baht.

and a lot of other fees that were obviously fabricated. We literally did nothing else and we were immediately asking for the check.

standard.

I had a similar experience in Ten Karaoke. Was there about an hour and had a bill of 4000 baht for only a few drinks. Will never go to another Karaoke place again.

I got stung twice with similar scenarios. I refused to pay more than menu price for the couple of drinks we had. Got out having just paid a fraction of their fictitious bill.

I was lucky.... twice. From what I have since read, questioning these bills can be bad for your health. Do so at your own risk. :-)

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun MallMagician,

Before a little squamous cell carcinoma wrecked our lower tongue four years ago, and reshaped our glottis, we used to love to sing, but finding a karaoke venue in Chiang Mai that was not:

1. a rip-off, which, when not busy trying to rent us companions for pank-of-hank, was padding the bill big-time.

2. was not full of drunks, with at least one totally soused Japanese murdering "My Way."

3. was, back then, full of smokers

Was ... problematic.

So, even though we could, back then, make even the waiters cry with our rendition of "Unchained Melody," we have not since then, ventured forth into karaoke-land, and rendered even ladies-for-rent snot-nosed with our rendition of Mongsit Kamsoi's "Sang Narn," or Saranya's "Noi Pai."

But, if anyone knows a place where people actually go to sing, where promoting temporary companion$hip is not the primary purpose of the venue, and some actually good (Thai or farang) singers sing, we'd love to go and listen, provided they wouldn't kick us out for spending less than 200-300 baht or so for two orange-juices, or sodas with nam manao.

Would say the biggest danger is getting stuck with the padded bill, and then the usual extortion, plus ear damage from the sound system, and psychological damage from hearing "My Way."

best, Bill

Sawasdee Khap Khun Orang.

Me curious..

Please to advise what is "Pank-of-Hank" ????

Is that the same-same but different to "Hankey-Panky" ?

G.

4,800 baht.

standard.

I had a similar experience in Ten Karaoke. Was there about an hour and had a bill of 4000 baht for only a few drinks. Will never go to another Karaoke place again.

Jeez! That's crazy - thanks for the warning.

And I thought I got ripped off that one time I went and had a lady apparently paid 500 baht for standing around next to me (exciting that was, I tell ya). I've never been in one of the "big" places and I suppose with this knowledge, I'll never go there, either.

If I go it will be with a Thai friend who knows whatever place we're going to. Then there's the problem that I can't sing which means I'll have to consume massive quantities of alcohol before getting behind a mike which in turn will make the singing worse than it would already be...

Haha ok scrap that idea. Karaoke is dangerous.

Just asked a thai friend. He's a bit hi so in cm, has a lot of connections. He told me he went to a karaoke place with 3 friends. They stayed 3 hours, with ladies. And then ... 20,000 baht!!! Turns out the 3 ladies had ordered 50 spy drinks... They didn't want to get beat up so they paid.

• 3 months later...

It happens to Thai people too. Some guys in the office were basically saying the same thing, getting hit with a ridiculously high bill. Even after negotiation it was still a scam.

Always always always ask for and then check the cost of everything at these places, unless you know them to be legit.

It happens to Thai people too. Some guys in the office were basically saying the same thing, getting hit with a ridiculously high bill. Even after negotiation it was still a scam.

Always always always ask for and then check the cost of everything at these places, unless you know them to be legit.

55555....happened to some Thai friends of mine as well - funny they all seem to know how dangerous those Karaoke places can be for your wallet - but ones they had a few drinks they had to move on - when they entered they had 5000 Baht and a gold chain of 1 Baht weight - all the "bunnies" took good care of them and they all had great fun - needles to say when they left not only the money but also the gold chain was gone to pay the bill.

But that was nothing compared to the treatment the one with the missing gold chain got from the wife the next day!

Better stay clear of these places. It's not what it used to be, like 20 years ago. Unless you are a regular, you will be charged horrendous amount.

It's better to sing at home and invite a few friends over for meals and beer.

Perhaps someone may start a thread suggesting how to set up an economical and efficient karaoke system at home. I for one, am interested to learn

Better stay clear of these places. It's not what it used to be, like 20 years ago. Unless you are a regular, you will be charged horrendous amount.

Perhaps someone may start a thread suggesting how to set up an economical and efficient karaoke system at home. I for one, am interested to learn

Yes, good idea. Your neighbours will love it. :whistling:

Edited by Semper

Yes, good idea. Your neighbours will love it. :whistling:

OK...no problem...but it will still cost yeah.....:D...an arm,and a leg....

1. Go to Big C

2. Pick up a cheap 'play anything' player. (DVD, VCD, MP3, also from a USB stick) and that has a Microphone in. THIS IS ASIA, all the cheapo ones have one or even two Mic-in jacks for this purpose.

3. Connect to your TV, and maybe some external speakers if you really hate your neighbors.

Okay, my two satang worth. Friend, if you want to check these places out ,such as Karaoke, by all mean. BUT, I suggest you go with a local or someone you trust who have been before. Like many postings already say, it can sometimes be a little bit of trouble if you go to one of these Karaoke places and you don't know what you are doing. Last thing you want is to have to pay some outrageous bill for the enjoyment of a couple drinks and some people watching. Maybe the girls there mean no harm, but if extra $$$ for them , it is something they could very well try to make extra pay for the evening.

My advice, if you wanna have a good time, why not head over to the Rasta bar area across from Eagle Guest House number 1. I have many a friend (Israeli backpackers) who goes there and spend a great evening kicking back with some food, cheap snacks and chill out music. You always welcome there, despite different backgrounds/ages and I know when I have been, it is so easy to sit back and make the interesting conversation with the local expats or travellers.

Heck, you DONT have to worry there about gettin some crazy 10,000 baths bill at the end of any enjoyable evening anyways.

Give it a go friend ,you may be pleasantly surprised if you do.

peace from da Maven

Some Thai friends have taken me to a restaurant way out in the sticks a couple of times where they have karaoke. Each time 10 or 12 people, around 2,500 baht total including food and drinks for all of us, and they never let me pay a satang. No hostesses just a good restaurant and good times.

So far no answers to the OPs question. Is it safe to sing in a karaoke bar without risking arrest? :rolleyes:

How can it not be safe - you have to pay to sing, you are renting their equipment and buying their drinks and food.....let's not get silly about this.

First I was afraid

I was petrified

Kept thinking I could never live

without karaoke

But I spent so many nights

thinking how I'd like to sing

I grew strong

I learned how to sing along

and I'm back

from outer space

I walked in for just one beer

now I've been billed for many more

I should have changed my stupid mind

I should have made you leave your wallet

If I had known for just one second

they screw me for lady drinks

Go on now go walk out the door

just turn around now

'cause I'm not welcome anymore

but I'll survive

I will survive :D

So far no answers to the OPs question. Is it safe to sing in a karaoke bar without risking arrest? :rolleyes:

How can it not be safe - you have to pay to sing, you are renting their equipment and buying their drinks and food.....let's not get silly about this.

Well it was the op who asked the question.

First I was afraid

I was petrified

Kept thinking I could never live

without karaoke

But I spent so many nights

thinking how I'd like to sing

I grew strong

I learned how to sing along

and I'm back

from outer space

I walked in for just one beer

now I've been billed for many more

I should have changed my stupid mind

I should have made you leave your wallet

If I had known for just one second

they screw me for lady drinks

Go on now go walk out the door

just turn around now

'cause I'm not welcome anymore

but I'll survive

I will survive :D

Ha.. That makes me wonder if there any gay karaokes. Not that I'd be interested, but I'd imagine that's the sort of song on the menu there. :P