Mexican Food

Hans Brix

I read a lor about Mexican Food in BKK but need to know where is the best Mexican in Chiang Mai. any help here would

be greatly appreciated as I am a southwest USA Mexican Food Lover. Hoping to find some quality; this seems to be

lacking in bangkok but I seem to remember hearing someone posting about awesome Mexican food in Chiang Mai so I call on

you guys for help

I love Mexican food too but have only eatten at Miguels, maybe like 5 times....may not be the best in CM but I have eatten great Mexican food back home as my buddies mom and dad had a rest. and they were from Mexico. Miguels is south of the NE corner of the mote...if you are going south from the NE corner it's on the left and maybe a couple hundred yards...they have parking right after to pass.

Their is a place on Hueykaew road west of the old shopping mall but have not eatten there yet

IMHO Miguel's is authentic (California-style) Mexican and their guacamole is good too. Miguel's would not be all that bad in Northern California, but it is excellent for Thailand and many people think that is pretty close to one of the top Mexican places in the whole country.

Salsa Kitchen is good for what it is, but they kind of do their own thing. I call it Canadian-style Mexican and enjoy it from time to time, but I really prefer their classic BBQ ribs. :D

iv eaten at miguels and dont rate it all the food looks the same on the plate as it does on the menu so theres a positive point in there favor

the staff are nice polite and fast its very clean but i have never eaten anything so bland and tasteless in my life a real disappointment

the food lets the place down a real nice clean place but the food leaves a lot to be desired

I think Miguels is the da bomb. No, it's not completely authentic (come on, we're in Thailand and there ain't too many Mexicans running around), but it's close enough! The problem for me is that it is just a little too pricey to eat there as much as I'd like. I'm not saying it's expensive, but for the same price of one meal there I can get 12 dishes of 20 baht Thai food. But actually, the best deal they got going is their all-u-can eat on Sundays at the Miguels on them Chiang Mai-Lamphun road in the 89 Plaza. It's 250 (not including drink) but man do I stuff myself. It's not a buffet, you order off a fairly paired down menu (but still a good selection). If you can eat a lot, you'll get ur money's worth, if you bring a Thai girl, have her order a-la-cart as she will not eat 250baht worth.

So try Miguels and El Diablos (I've never been too). I had Miguels the first time and liked it so much I haven't tried any other.

IMHO Miguel's is authentic (California-style) Mexican and their guacamole is good too. Miguel's would not be all that bad in Northern California, but it is excellent for Thailand and many people think that is pretty close to one of the top Mexican places in the whole country.

Salsa Kitchen is good for what it is, but they kind of do their own thing. I call it Canadian-style Mexican and enjoy it from time to time, but I really prefer their classic BBQ ribs. :D

I love when people call things authentic and then classify it as non-authentic! 'authentic (California-style) Mexican" ... what's that even mean?

I'll put my vote in for El Diablo's as well though...and a great Margarita to go along with it...

(California-style) Mexican" ... what's that even mean?

It means Mexican food as prepared in California by Mexican immigrants. ;)

The San Francisco burrito refers to a burrito from San Francisco, California, in which the Mexican-American burrito has become a city specialty, as the New York-based writer Calvin Trillin describes in his essay "Grandfather Knows Best": "In San Francisco, the burrito has been refined and embellished in much the same way that pizza has been refined and embellished in New York and Chicago."[1] Since its likely beginnings in the 1960s, the style has spread widely through the San Francisco Bay Area, and variations on it have spread throughout the United States.

This type of burrito was born in the city's Mission District, and it is often called a Mission or Mission-style burrito as a result. Taquerias in the Mission, contrary to their taco-derived name, specialize in large, aluminum-foil wrapped burritos. The aluminum foil holds a large flour tortilla which is wrapped and folded around a variety of ingredients. The San Francisco burrito is distinguished partly by the amount of rice and other side dishes included in the package and partly by sheer size.[1] A food critic working for the San Francisco Chronicle counted hundreds of taquerias in the San Francisco Bay Area, and noted that the question of which taqueria makes the best burrito can "encourage fierce loyalty and ferocious debate".[2]

300px-San_Francisco_burrito-sparkletack-2005.jpg A San Francisco burrito

http://en.wikipedia....ancisco_burrito

Edited by Ulysses G.

I love when people call things authentic and then classify it as non-authentic! 'authentic (California-style) Mexican" ... what's that even mean?

I'll put my vote in for El Diablo's as well though...and a great Margarita to go along with it...

California used to be Mexico(and some would argue that it still is based on population demographics)

Edited by PlanetX

iv eaten at miguels and dont rate it all the food looks the same on the plate as it does on the menu so theres a positive point in there favor

the staff are nice polite and fast its very clean but i have never eaten anything so bland and tasteless in my life a real disappointment

the food lets the place down a real nice clean place but the food leaves a lot to be desired

I think the same of their food. After much plugging on here by UG I tried Miguels and found the food tasteless and poor - and the staff were very off-hand. It is a tourist trap that heavily advertises in hotels - best left for tourists.

Salsa Kitchen is better, but I would not expect to find really great Mexican food in Chiang Mai. You need a big city with a more diverse population perhaps.

Rgds

Edited by Contractor

Old topic on a new thread ........ you may find something to like at El Toro on Loi Crough, Art Cafe advertiises some Mexican, and then there is even a taco stand on 4th floor Pantip plaza...... As well as the usual burrito battles fought between the big 3 already mentioned. My vote goes to Diablos for Burritos, Salsa kitchen for enchiladas and Miguels if you don't like spices.

Is it time for the best burger battle to flare up?

Edited by daoyai

Good to see Daoyai mention El Toro. I too enjoy the food there as, in my opinion, it has much more flavour than the bland offerings other places provide. The restaurant may not look much from the outside but the food is good quality, reasonably priced and not under spiced.

California used to be Mexico(and some would argue that it still is based on population demographics)

:lol:

I think the same of their food. After much plugging on here by UG I tried Miguels and found the food tasteless and poor - and the staff were very off-hand. It is a tourist trap that heavily advertises in hotels - best left for tourists.

Salsa Kitchen is better, but I would not expect to find really great Mexican food in Chiang Mai. You need a big city with a more diverse population perhaps.

Rgds

There are three Miguels, all run by different people. I find the one on the Old Lamphun road to be the best, they do have guacamole and the food is fresh and tasty. I don't think anyone would call that area a "tourist trap" n

I agree with LadyHeather. The Miguels on the old Lamphun/Chiang Mai road is great. The staff are super friendly. I love their food. I eat there at least once a week and I live in San Kamphaent and make the special trip. Try it, you'll like it....

The Hideaway is really overrated. I've only been there twice, and can honestly say those were my two worst dining experiences in Chiang Mai. And to add insult to injury, the third worst dining experience I've had was this past Christmas at the "Art" place.

Changing directions, The Duke's has the best nacho's in town.

How about the Hideaway for reasonable "mexican" at reasonable prices?

Rgds

There are three Miguels, all run by different people. I find the one on the Old Lamphun road to be the best, they do have guacamole and the food is fresh and tasty. I don't think anyone would call that area a "tourist trap" n

Sorry - just to make it clear I was referring to the original place on the moat. If the other branches are better than that is good news.

Old topic on a new thread ........ you may find something to like at El Toro on Loi Crough, Art Cafe advertiises some Mexican, and then there is even a taco stand on 4th floor Pantip plaza...... As well as the usual burrito battles fought between the big 3 already mentioned. My vote goes to Diablos for Burritos, Salsa kitchen for enchiladas and Miguels if you don't like spices.

Is it time for the best burger battle to flare up?

I agree with that one as far as a burgers !! The mex food thread keeps getting reborn reposted so time for the "better burgers of chiang mai" post!!

Edited by yesterday

Rgds

that is the only one iv tried as there is lots of parking thats another reason why i was disappointed not easy to park in c/m so i was glad when it opend i thought if its any good go a few times a week but never been back since

the staff i thought were great friendly quick but the food it would of been better to of eat the pool table

I think the same of their food. After much plugging on here by UG I tried Miguels and found the food tasteless and poor...

I "plug" it because I like it and if you read the Mexican food threads in different forums on Thai Visa, there are lots of folks all over Thailand that agree with me.- including the great gourmet Jingthing.

I have to admit that I'm amazed at the diversity of opinions on Mexican food on here. There are some places that I consider to be absolutely atrocious that other posters rave about, but I usually do not put them down as I understand that taste in food in pretty subjective and I do not want to damage someone's livelihood just because it does not appeal to me.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Rgds

I also like the Miguels on Old Lamphun road better than the one on the moat, though I haven't really eaten too many things there. I like the taco salad and the tacos are okay too. It's a nice place to watch sports and have a drink and a bit to eat. It does seem a bit spicier than the one on the moat.

El Diablo's is primarily burritos and probably does rate as the best burrito place in town. And the free chips and salsa are a big plus too. The Mexican food at Art Cafe (I think I've just had the burritos) didn't taste that great to me. IMHO the tacos at Chiang Mai Saloon (the one inside the moat) are pretty good, especially the chicken soft tacos, and probably the best I've had in CM (haven't eaten at La Salsa though...) The burritos in the place on the 4th floor at Pantip are not bad if you happen to be in the neighborhood and just want a quick, cheap (for local Mexican food places) bite to eat. It's more on the level of Mexican fast food really.

I think the same of their food. After much plugging on here by UG I tried Miguels and found the food tasteless and poor...

I "plug" it because I like it and if you read the Mexican food threads in different forums on Thai Visa, there are lots of folks all over Thailand that agree with me.- including the great gourmet Jingthing.

I have to admit that I'm amazed at the diversity of opinions on Mexican food on here. There are some places that I consider to be absolutely atrocious that other posters rave about, but I usually do not put them down as I understand that taste in food in pretty subjective and I do not want to damage someone's livelihood just because it does not appeal to me.

Miguels appears to be an established and succesful business. Some like it, others do not. It gets both good and not so good feedback.

I wonder if your posts might be damaging the business in that you raise expectations too much.

Have a read of some of your own posts on this forum - you have criticised other businesses in Chiang Mai in a far more damaging manner.

Edited by Contractor

I lke Miguel's... at 89 Plaza.

The one in town does not have air conditioning, cramped seating and you have to order yourself at the bar; seems they want to skimp on a waitress or two.

For that reason you could only reasonably compare it with Taco Bell or other fast food places. It's not a restaurant, it's a really expensive Taco Bell without the airconditioning.

But again, nothing wrong with the 89 Plaza branch and I recommend it. That's a restaurant.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I wonder if your posts might be damaging the business in that you raise expectations too much.

Every time I go there, they have a lot more customers than other restaurants that I see on the way, so I seriously doubt it and sincere praise usually helps a place. Do you think that someone is going to try Miguels because of my recommendation and then refuse to go again because they do not like it as much as me? They will either like it and possibly become a regular customer or not like it and wait for a Chipotle Mexican Grill to open up in Chiang Mai.

The Duke's is another place that some people like to disparage, but it is packed almost every night.

Edited by Ulysses G.

This thread is really useless as we all have different tastes and all have different ideas about what Mexican food is.

When I lived on Samui, I had a French friend who wanted to open a "Mexican" restaurant, but he had to call me and some of my other American friends to come over and show his cook how to make Mexican food. From what I gleaned, Mexican food in the EU is prepared and tastes different than the Mexican food in America. Yes, we have many Mexicans in America, but the most popular Mexican food restaurant in my hometown in Texas doesn't even have a Mexican worker in the place (they have many branches now as it is so good).

You just gotta try 'em all and see which one tickles your fancy.

Somebody mentioned nachos at Dukes....gotta try that soon!!! Also, most Mexican food is easy to make at home and they sell everything you need for most of the dishes. Putting together tacos, burritos and nachos here is a snap. If you have a family or group of friend, have a "Mexican food night!"

Meh, Miguel's wouldn't last a week in NorCal, sorry to say. Maybe it used to be good? I like to sit at Miguel's Express on Nimman, nice place to sit outside and enjoy a drink; got tempted to eat there now three times, and each time it was.... better not to say anything about it, really. Imagine some dry pieces of chicken wrapped in a piece of cardboard and you're coming pretty close to the "burrito".

El Diablo's was fine the one time I tried; nachos and salsa a big plus.

Tequila Reef Taqueria in Pai has very authentic Tex-Mex - very good if you like the style. Was certainly the best Mexican I've found in Thailand. But it's not in CM...

Real California style Mexican doesn't exist in CM

BTW voicing an opinion when asked has nothing to do with anyone's "livelihood". Make better mexican, and I'll post rave reviews, it's that simple.

Edited by nikster

I lke Miguel's... at 89 Plaza.

The one in town does not have air conditioning, cramped seating and you have to order yourself at the bar; seems they want to skimp on a waitress or two.

For that reason you could only reasonably compare it with Taco Bell or other fast food places. It's not a restaurant, it's a really expensive Taco Bell without the airconditioning.

But again, nothing wrong with the 89 Plaza branch and I recommend it. That's a restaurant.

The franchise owner at the 89 Plaza branch is a great host. Once I received chicken nachos that were less than expected - virtually no cheese and I had asked and paid for extra. The owner was not in so I contacted her within the week. She provided a replacement, no questions asked, and apologized. She really is on top of it. Miquels doesn't serve steaks, seafood, etc. and then offer pretend Mexican food that is horrible like some other well known establishments in town. Miguels serves top quality Mexican food.