Thai Senior Cop Transferred Over Under-Age Patrons Pub Debacle

webfact

"Provincial Police Region 7 commissioner Lt-General Pongsan Jiam-on said a fact-finding committee had been set up to investigate how the Full Moon Pub could flout the law."

In other news, the fact finding committee comprises of the 3 people in Thailand who don't know the answer to that.

I wonder why they even bother?

Clearly they didn't pay the right people enough, besides this must be a common problem in Thailand: You pay off the local police (as every single pub or bar in Thailand has to do), then another police comes in and raids your place.

Why did these others bother? No idea, maybe they were bored, or they wanted to quiz more young ladies about the bare breasts thing inside the police station...

BTW I can only imagine this to be working extremely well - if you did that in Europe, you'd get loads of teenagers to flash their boobs, guaranteed. It's a win-win: You get to see their wares and you get them loaded. Brilliant!

"Full Moon Pub offered free drinks to girls who showed their breasts"

Is the PUB management too sick and cheap or are the ladies too desperate and naive?

That's how the country will improve into a civilize nation. SAD!!

The pub management can pack the pub out with gawping men and the girlies can get drunk for free for exposing their wares!!!B)

Passakorn tried to dismiss the bribe claim, saying that Bt500 was given to policemen only for security provided.

If a pub needs 20 security guards a day, it has bigger problems than under-age drinkers and bare boobs.

Is there a Thai equivalent of the phrase "if you're in a hole, stop digging"?

I believe the expression is "If you're in a hole, dig up"

The 500 Baht that was being paid must have been registered so I'm sure he can prove it no problem. I have faith in this man.

No. The expression is: if you're in a hole, stop digging.

The sensible thing to do is make sure that you 'don't fall in that bloody hole' in the first place!!

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

Is the PUB management too sick and cheap or are the ladies too desperate and naive?

Anyone naive enough to think this is a new happening? Or likely to change anytime soon?

Its been going on for last 30 years or more. I know I first saw this behavior about 30 years ago. And often since. Very often. Very very often.

In what neighborhoods exactly?

j/k

But I bet another good youtube would shame some folks into action.

Policemen under close scrutiny

By The Nation

Nakhon Pathom

The 20 policemen said to be taking bribes from a pub in Nakhon Pathom are facing disciplinary action, while four senior officers were transferred to inactive posts after the Wednesday morning raid.

A police team raided the Full Moon Pub in Sam Phran district and rounded up 300 patrons who were found to be under 18. The team also found a gambling den at the back of the establishment as well as a list of policemen who took Bt500 a day in bribes.

Saying that he had urged the provincial governor to shut the pub down, the Nakhon Pathom police chief, Maj-General Pasin Noksakul, said that though they have not identified the person making the alleged payments, the 20 policemen had to explain what they were taking the money for. If it turns out to be a bribe, then they will face punishment, but if it turns out that they were being paid to provide security in their off-duty hours, then it would be seen as petty disciplinary breach, he said.

Pasin said that on Wednesday, superintendent Pol Colonel Passakorn Klanwan had been transferred to a civil post for 30 days, while three other officers were moved to inactive posts indefinitely for allowing law to be violated in an area under their jurisdiction.

Nakhon Pathom Governor Chidpong Ritprasat yesterday also moved the acting chief of Sam Phran district, Phitsanu Ploysuk, to an inactive post indefinitely. He will also face disciplinary action.

In related news, Metropolitan Police spokesman Piya Uthayo said yesterday that a panel had been set up to investigate police officers who might be involved in the four betting machines that were seized in Bangkok's Don Muang district on Wednesday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-22

Yes, we would like to see Thailand reach up to a civilized standard such as we see in the United States where young lasses reveal their boobies in the streets in exchange for cheap plastic beads and not for anything as tawdry as a free drink.

I think this is a good time to ask for an explanation of what exactly is an "inactive post".

Every time a civil servant (HHHMMKK!, sorry, I chocked up a little) gets caught red handed is sent to an inactive post. That doesn't really sound like a tough disciplinary action, does it? What is it, they send them to some soporific little office where they play solitaire from 8 to 5 until they straighten up?

I think this is a good time to ask for an explanation of what exactly is an "inactive post".

Every time a civil servant (HHHMMKK!, sorry, I chocked up a little) gets caught red handed is sent to an inactive post. That doesn't really sound like a tough disciplinary action, does it? What is it, they send them to some soporific little office where they play solitaire from 8 to 5 until they straighten up?

It's actually a pretty harsh punishment. You have no authority, get paid the minimum allowance (like 7000 baht per month or something equally useless) and can no longer control any corruption scams. All you have left is "lobbyist" fees for introducing your friends and family to those people who really do matter. An inactive post is not something to be laughed at. It is often career ending.

Unless, of course, if the offending individual is just moved there temporarily by their superior (and perhaps mentor) to make a public show of discipline....for just long enough to let the hubbub die down and the news media move on....

And then when all the controversy has been brushed away and under the carpet...to quietly move that person back to some position of authority in another locale, where they can continue skimming and scheming as before... and presumably cutting their mentor in on the appropriate share.

BTW, did those reading here catch the news report the other day about how the Thai police (shocking) had discovered widespread cheating in their official police qualification/promotion exams, including the use of electronic transmitters to enable the test takers to be given the presumably correct answers to the questions on their tests.... And, if I recall correctly, how literally buying one's way into promotions and advancement is widespread....

I wonder where those involved are getting the dosh to pay for those kinds of steps up the ladder. Bare boobies, anyone?

When was the last time anyone remembers any currently serving, non-elected government official in Thailand (police, army, government department/ministry, etc) prosecuted in a criminal case relating to their official duties for bribery or corruption?

There haven't been many that I can recall in recent years... And of those few that I've heard of, the common result seems to be the prosecuted individual getting bail prior to a verdict in their case and then scampering out of Thailand to some adjoining country like Cambodia....

Do you remember about two months ago? Police came on TV to show the punishment that police who were caught taking bribes would have to go through. They had to sit in a newly painted white room with TV and coffee 2 hours before shift. He said he expected no one would want to do this twice. I almost fell out of my chair. He was smiling the whole time as though he thought this was a proper response to extortion. Amazing(0)(0)!blink.gif