Phnom Penh Info

Parker1973

'grumpyoldman' timestamp='1304473072' post='4399839']

Short answer , Billabong which is guest friendly with a pool , family style hotel , take your chances with exteranious guest , have a problem which I doubt if you are not with an " In your face ' type of lady , you have various other choices presented to you .

Other posters are only being as helpful as they can under the circumcision .

Dumball can you clarify for me (?) as I'm confused.

You say guest friendly but then take your chances with extraneous guest? In your face type lady, huh?

(quote)

It had been mentioned that the Billabong does not encourage bringing female company into the hotel other than those whom you have booked in with you , it is a family oriented hotel , but I feel sure that should you take a guest with you that you met in Phnom Penh , there should be no problem if she is dressed in an appropriate manner , not an obvious hooker type .

'techno' timestamp='1304501600' post='4400785']

I am going to Phnom Penh in July so is it best to take US dollars or can you use a Thai Debit Card in Cambodia. If you can use a Thai Bank Debit card in Cambodia do you get the local currency or US dollars. Thank you

Techno

Cambodian ATMs pay out American dollars , watch which ones you use as some add on extra charges as per in Thailand , my preference is the Canadia bank as I find they do not charge for the use of their machines . Your own Thai bank will probably have a service charge for out of country use of Cambodian machines , worth a check because it could be expensive , also some banks may not accept Thai bank machines unless they are of the international type .

Hope this is of help .

Help? So many good hotels recommended but from a earlier TV forum l booked the Golden Gate Hotel for me and my friends.No deposit paid so not a problem as l cancel anytime. I am going at the end of July and as l have not been before l am not sure if its a good hotel or not. Has anybody stayed there and is it a hotel close to all the nightlife. We want a hotel close to all the ":nightlife" so were wondering what the TV members would suggest would be the best comfortable and safe hotel to stay in. I have seen the prices shown in this forum and none are a problem so long as its a good hotel

My personal favourite is the City Centre hotel. Aussie owner and very comfortably equipped - beds are deep and soft, the room is papered and draped as opposed to the stark look you get so often in even midrange hotels and the bathrooms are modern and work well. Four/five star fittings and furnishings at a three star price. Refurbed within the last 2 years I would guess. Extras are free wifi (it works) and free coffee/tea making. Only downsides are no pool, safes are beside the reception not in the room and no river view - in fact many of the rooms have no window, but I got used to that and many hotels in PP are like that. The rooms are not huge but all in all I loved the comfort factor. 100 metres form Sharky's Bar and most of the bars and the river are within a 5 minute walk. I paid $42 a night (King bed and approx 30 sq m I guess), but you can get $35 if you don't mind a very small room. Those prices exclude breakfast, which you can get around town for $2-$3 and I find a bit of free choice is preferable to some of the crappy inclusive breakfasts around. Guest friendly.

If you want to live the nightlife even more, then stay in a bar. Candy Bar is a bar and guest house on 136 Street (highest concentration of bars) and looks like it would be a million laughs if your liver and other organs down there are up to it. Let me know what its like to stay in - I don't need commentary about the bar or its inhabitants :rolleyes:

To give you a bit of a flavour, your existing hotel is in the equivalent area to Khao San Road (though 15 minutes not 30 minutes from bar-central), whereas City Centre is the watered down equivalent of say Suk soi 10 and Candy is like staying on a watered down version of soi Cowboy (beer bars but no go-gos). Your choice. This website may help further.

http://www.canbypublications.com/phnompenh/pphotels.htm

its a 10 min walk to the riverside but a pleasent walk and if ur into night time activites or even all night activities its a good place to stay. no in room safe thou. but interent is acceptable for free.

If this is in reference to Flamingos, the deluxe rooms ($30) do have an in-room safe. It's in the wood cupboard/closet.

re poster's comment about Black Cat...While attractiveness is in the eye of the beholder, I didn't think much of the girls at Black Cat. Many prettier ones at Shanghai, but attitudes turned me off. Lots of choice anyway in PP.

Maybe I got lucky !

No problem with attitude or looks (would give a Walking St go-go girl a run for her money). Much softer than Thai girls

Help? So many good hotels recommended but from a earlier TV forum l booked the Golden Gate Hotel for me and my friends.No deposit paid so not a problem as l cancel anytime. I am going at the end of July and as l have not been before l am not sure if its a good hotel or not. Has anybody stayed there and is it a hotel close to all the nightlife. We want a hotel close to all the ":nightlife" so were wondering what the TV members would suggest would be the best comfortable and safe hotel to stay in. I have seen the prices shown in this forum and none are a problem so long as its a good hotel

My personal favourite is the City Centre hotel. Aussie owner and very comfortably equipped - beds are deep and soft, the room is papered and draped as opposed to the stark look you get so often in even midrange hotels and the bathrooms are modern and work well. Four/five star fittings and furnishings at a three star price. Refurbed within the last 2 years I would guess. Extras are free wifi (it works) and free coffee/tea making. Only downsides are no pool, safes are beside the reception not in the room and no river view - in fact many of the rooms have no window, but I got used to that and many hotels in PP are like that. The rooms are not huge but all in all I loved the comfort factor. 100 metres form Sharky's Bar and most of the bars and the river are within a 5 minute walk. I paid $42 a night (King bed and approx 30 sq m I guess), but you can get $35 if you don't mind a very small room. Those prices exclude breakfast, which you can get around town for $2-$3 and I find a bit of free choice is preferable to some of the crappy inclusive breakfasts around. Guest friendly.

If you want to live the nightlife even more, then stay in a bar. Candy Bar is a bar and guest house on 136 Street (highest concentration of bars) and looks like it would be a million laughs if your liver and other organs down there are up to it. Let me know what its like to stay in - I don't need commentary about the bar or its inhabitants :rolleyes:

To give you a bit of a flavour, your existing hotel is in the equivalent area to Khao San Road (though 15 minutes not 30 minutes from bar-central), whereas City Centre is the watered down equivalent of say Suk soi 10 and Candy is like staying on a watered down version of soi Cowboy (beer bars but no go-gos). Your choice. This website may help further.

http://www.canbypubl...nh/pphotels.htm

Golden Gate is a nice place. They have a couple of sister hotels in the area where they will direct you if they are full or you want something cheaper. The area is an expat hangout and is a nice change from the riverside, but it isn't party central. There are a few backpacker places but to say it is the equivalent of Khao San Road is really a stretch. Lots of really good cheap restaurants, and neighborhood bar type places to have a drink. If you want more excitement the infamous Martinis is 5 minutes by moto.

I have not stayed at Candy Bar, but have been inside the bar. It is known for having ladyboys. Up to you :whistling:

Street 136 does have a lot of bars. Whether it has any good ones is very debatable.

Yup - 2 or 3 I reckon among the 30 other girls. All adds to the mix in my view :lol:

I am going to Phnom Penh in July so is it best to take US dollars or can you use a Thai Debit Card in Cambodia. If you can use a Thai Bank Debit card in Cambodia do you get the local currency or US dollars. Thank you

Techno

To make it easy for my Camboidan GF when she is there to get money i have an SCB atm card for her and then just put thai baht in her account here and she gets it in Cambodian in US $ they charge 100 baht/transaction.

Its always good to have some Reil with ya and u can change $ with the money chnagers in the maket area.

http://www.canbypublications.com/phnompenh/pphotels.htm

What?? u pay $35-42 for a room with no window WHY??? Go book at the california two right near the riverfront and some river view rooms $25-30

OR Tonle Sap GH/ on street 108 and ask for room 306 at the top with river view for $18!! free wifi, 24 hour restauarant and great food and company plenty of bars right at the doorstep plus Wat Phnom around the corner