Phnom Penh Info

Parker1973

Hi,

Im off to PP next weekend,never been before and would appreciate some info if possible.

Looking to stay in a nice hotel with a pool near the riverfront,as i believe this is the nicest area/close to bars etc?...looked at the Billabong Hotel on i think 158 street....$60 a night max should be ok....

Any info on hotels nd PP in general would be very welcome....

Thanks....

Hotels are expensive in PP, For $60 you will get something ok, but nothing posh.

The nice hotels with pool will be around $100, also not sure if i have seen any nice hotels along riverfront.

There was one, but has been under renovations for some time now.

Also while riverside is more pleasant, last time i was there(about 12 months ago) they were doing road works along the river and it was rather less pleasant with all the traffic and dust.

I like Cara hotel, no pool but around $40 per night, very close to What Phnom, 5 mins($1 taxi ride) to Sharky's bar, Heart of Darkness, Walkabout etc. Casa disco is 50 meters up the road.

Cara i thought is clean and safe hotel, internet works, service is good and rooms are reasonable size

I have stayed at the Billabong on my last three visits to PNP. Good place with nice people.

Just be aware that they do not allow sex tourists to stay there - very much a friendly family place.

How do they determine who is a sex tourist? and how do they "do not allow"?

You mean they do not allow "guests"? or charge a joiner fee?

Hotels are much less in PP than Bangkok. $40 will get ua great place to saty and If u want riverside try California ll ( about $30)

or for more night time center try the Flamingo for $25/night and free airport pickup.

Why spend an extra $25-50 for a pool?? waste of money.

There are hotels that will not allow a guest to bring a female companion back to your room Billibong is one of them.

NO hotel I have ever seen charges a "joiner" fee.

as for "sex tourists". What is that? Just cause i dont want spend every night alone does that make me a sex tourist?

I hate that term

PP is a great city to just wnader around and enjoy the cool breeze on the riverside during the late afternoon with all the familes strolling

Pay Wat Phnom a visit and say hi to "Sambo" the resident elephant

Hotels are much less in PP than Bangkok. $40 will get ua great place to saty and If u want riverside try California ll ( about $30)

or for more night time center try the Flamingo for $25/night and free airport pickup.

There are hotels that will not allow a guest to bring a female companion back to your room Billibong is one of them.

NO hotel I have ever seen charges a "joiner" fee.

as for "sex tourists". What is that? Just cause i dont want spend every night alone does that make me a sex tourist?

I hate that term

PP is a great city to just wnader around and enjoy the cool breeze on the riverside during the late afternoon with all the familes strolling

Pay Wat Phnom a visit and say hi to "Sambo" the resident elephant

Thanks for the info,i agree,i hate the 'sex tourist' tag too,im going to PP for some sightseeing,visa run and a change of scene,if i decide i dont wish to spend a night alone that doesnt make me/us 'sex tourists',well said....

Was there last week. A couple tips. Exchange baht for dollars here b4 you go and take lots of small denominations. There are many scams in Cambodia and you should do your homework on this subject by using the search engines here and other sites like khmer440 and google,tales of asia,lonelyplanet etc. Here is a good link for rooms and general info in Cambo. http://www.canbypublications.com/phnompenh/pphotels.htm

I have stayed @ both, billabong is nice , safe , relaxing, good pool (about 20metres) &great food, you can short time outside, OR the flamingo is the centre of action in the street (forget #) shanghai bar across the road, walkabout round the corner, heart of darkness just up the road, & the riverfront 5 min walk, flamingo is guest friendly.

regards songhklasid.B)

Should you want a good hotel in a clean safe area , may I recommend the Comfort star hotel on street 200 , recently rebuilt with extra floors and new furnishings , very clean with large rooms , WiFi , friendly staff , transportation after 2 nights stay , walking distance to riverside/walkabout/monivong for visas etc .

The riverside now boasts a beautiful clean esplanade with garbage bins , for walking or exercising with cooling breezes off the river , a host of good restaurants with a large variation of foods to suit many tastes at reasonable prices , $1.00 for transport around town but you must negotiate before climbing into the tuk-tuk , there are enough of them to take your pick .

I do not know of too many prevalent scams around town , just use your brain power if approached , most citizens are friendly and helpful , many speak and understand English , just come with an open mind and all will be enjoyable .

As another poster said in reply, hotels in PP are NOT expensive. I recently stayed in three hotels over eight nights: Flamingos $25 (St. 172 and 51) and up; Blue Tongue $35 and up (behind Walkabout on 174) has lovely large, spacious well lit rooms; and Comfort Star 2 (St. 200) for $18 and $22 with large, spacious well appointed rooms -- the latter recommended to me by Dumball. I'll be staying at Comfort Star again in a couple of months. It's 7-8 minute walk to 51 action and 15 minutes to Soriya Shopping Centre and Central Market.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

Because when there is no beach, it's nice to take up lounge chair and do some reading in the afternoon by a pool?

From what I've seen here there is only one hotel suggested that has a pool, any others at a reasonable rate (30-60$U.S.) with a pool?

I stayed at California 2 before Xmas, nice place and Jim the owner a good guy; they had a couple of tuktuk drivers that seem to base themselves outside, I took the staff''s word for it that they were Ok and used the same two for the week I was there, drop-off and and later pick-up at an arranged place/time. It's just one less thing to worry about in an unfamiliar place.

As for C2 - clean, secure, quiet, the free breakfast is basic but enough to start your day, and an ok bar menu with the kitchen open 24hrs.

Only 'story' I have - and it's not a complaint, is I experienced a PP electricity blackout, as I had an interior room - no windows - had to shower and get dressed relying on the light from my cellphone.

The esplanade along the riverfront is lovely in the evening, cool breeze off the river if you're lucky, well-lit at night and the week I was there plenty to watch from aerobics Cambodia-style to families playing badminton, takraw etc.

Because when there is no beach, it's nice to take up lounge chair and do some reading in the afternoon by a pool?

From what I've seen here there is only one hotel suggested that has a pool, any others at a reasonable rate (30-60$U.S.) with a pool?

Ahh u want sit by the pool and pay an additional $25 for it :lol:

Better deal, go to the riverside and sit along the shore or even better go to the end of street 136 and riverside and take the 500 riel ferry to the other side and relax on the grass while reading and if ur lucky enough to be there on the night of the full moon your in for a treat!!!

='farangguy' timestamp='1304085581' post='4390112']

When a friend of mine arrives will be renting a tuk tuk for about 5-6 hours.

Anyone expats k

should be around $12.00 , if you need a phone no I can give you one for English speaker , no scamming .

Flamingos is an adequate hotel at around $25 - it is not quite riverfront but location is OK.

If you do choose to become a sex tourist for a night then the Black Cat bar next door has some of the most attractive girls I have seen in Cambodia. Same owner as hotel (I think) so no issue with joiners.

Short answer, yes. Any suggestions on a hotel with a pool that's guest friendly? Sort of reasonable up to 60$US? Good location?

'grumpyoldman' timestamp='1304138531' post='4391041''phuketrichard' timestamp='1303961207' post='4386483']

'grumpyoldman' timestamp='1303712616' post='4380062']

'phuketrichard' timestamp='1303537761' post='4375339']

Short answer, yes. Any suggestions on a hotel with a pool that's guest friendly? Sort of reasonable up to 60$US? Good location?

Short answer , Billabong which is guest friendly with a pool , family style hotel , take your chances with exteranious guest , have a problem which I doubt if you are not with an " In your face ' type of lady , you have various other choices presented to you .

Other posters are only being as helpful as they can under the circumcision .

its a 10 min walk to the riverside but a pleasent walk and if ur into night time activites or even all night activities its a good place to stay. no in room safe thou. but interent is acceptable for free.

If this is in reference to Flamingos, the deluxe rooms ($30) do have an in-room safe. It's in the wood cupboard/closet.

re poster's comment about Black Cat...While attractiveness is in the eye of the beholder, I didn't think much of the girls at Black Cat. Many prettier ones at Shanghai, but attitudes turned me off. Lots of choice anyway in PP.

its a 10 min walk to the riverside but a pleasent walk and if ur into night time activites or even all night activities its a good place to stay. no in room safe thou. but interent is acceptable for free.

If this is in reference to Flamingos, the deluxe rooms ($30) do have an in-room safe. It's in the wood cupboard/closet.

re poster's comment about Black Cat...While attractiveness is in the eye of the beholder, I didn't think much of the girls at Black Cat. Many prettier ones at Shanghai, but attitudes turned me off. Lots of choice anyway in PP.

walkabout hotel has THE BEST looking girls, and the more you drink the better looking they getwink.gif

Short answer , Billabong which is guest friendly with a pool , family style hotel , take your chances with exteranious guest , have a problem which I doubt if you are not with an " In your face ' type of lady , you have various other choices presented to you .

Other posters are only being as helpful as they can under the circumcision .

Dumball can you clarify for me (?) as I'm confused.

You say guest friendly but then take your chances with extraneous guest? In your face type lady, huh?

Help? So many good hotels recommended but from a earlier TV forum l booked the Golden Gate Hotel for me and my friends.No deposit paid so not a problem as l cancel anytime. I am going at the end of July and as l have not been before l am not sure if its a good hotel or not. Has anybody stayed there and is it a hotel close to all the nightlife. We want a hotel close to all the ":nightlife" so were wondering what the TV members would suggest would be the best comfortable and safe hotel to stay in. I have seen the prices shown in this forum and none are a problem so long as its a good hotel

I am going to Phnom Penh in July so is it best to take US dollars or can you use a Thai Debit Card in Cambodia. If you can use a Thai Bank Debit card in Cambodia do you get the local currency or US dollars. Thank you

Techno