Spearfishing Equipment

ATR

After not having much luck finding good info on the subject of where to find spearo gear in Phuket, I'm starting this thread to help others out.

I've found two shops in Phuket, both in Phuket town. One is called Phuket Watersports and the other is Andaman Watersports.

They are a little difficult to find and I will post a map of their locations soon.

Phuket WS deals Beuchat guns and has little in way of other kit. IMO the shop's staff has little knowledge about any of the gear they are selling and their attitude was not helpful. They also would not consider giving a discount even though I was buying over 10k baht in gear.

Andaman WS is by far the better place to go, IMO. The owner, Son, is cool dude and an old school spearo with a wealth of local knowledge on the subject. His shop has a largeselection of guns and accesories. Son also does maintenance and mods on guns. He gave me a 10% discount without even asking.

Anyone who knows of other good spearo-related info please add to this thread.

Do either of the shops sell Hawaiian slings?

No hawaiian slings or pole spears. Mostly euro style rail guns, Andaman ws has a few pneumatics. I'm on the look out for a breakdown pole spear myself. I may have one custom made at one of the many metal shops on island.

@kathu kid: that sounds like a good idea. I've been checking out diy/homemade polespear info on the web for ideas. I may end up having a friend bring one over from the states

@ old croc: i checked those posts before and most of them were more than a few years old and uninformative regarding where to find spearfishing equipment in phuket. Thanks for the heads up, though.

I'll post the maps to the to shops I mentioned in my first post as soon a I have computer access.

Phuket WS gave me 10 % discount when I bought a speargun there. She was not very helpful as you said before, and prefere to watch TV in the back room. I also bought a new line and ask if she could put it on, and she just answeared NO. lol.

Do you by any chance know the price of knifes that is attachable to the forearm at the other shop? WS wants 2500 baht for the knifes, which is too much IMO.

I'm not sure about exact prices, but Andaman ws has a decent selection of folding and fixed blades, ranging from a couple hundred baht for a decent fixed blade that I use as my backup knife (two is one , one is none ;) to benchmade folders for a few thousand. I'm sure you could wrist mount most of the smaller fixed blades.