I am married to a Thai and would like to go back to the UK for a visit latter in the year, As I will be sponsoring her, My questions are as follows:

1. Can I print 3 months bank statements from my on-line bank account?

2. I have a new passport should i photo copy every page from my old passport?

3. Should I apply for a tourist or family visit visa as she will be doing both?

4. The hard part is going to be able to prove that she will return to Thailand as she does not have a job here any advice as to work around this? I have been in Thailand for about 5 years now and have know intention of going back to the UK to live.

Any more advice that anyone can give to me about the best way to apply for this Visa would be gratefully revived.

1) They prefer originals as print outs can be easily altered. I'd recommend getting originals if you can, or having the printouts authenticated by your bank if possible.

2) Not necessary. They need to see your current passport; the ID page and your Thai visa showing your immigration status in Thailand.

3) Family visit. A family visit refusal can be appealed against, a tourist refusal can't.

4) You can be her reason to return. Provide evidence of your marriage and your immigration status in, and ability to return to, Thailand.

I'd also provide evidence of where/with whom you will be staying in the UK together with a letter of invitation from them describing the property to show that there will be at least one room for the exclusive use of you and your wife. Although not strictly necessary, if they own the property then evidence of this, such as a mortgage statement, or if they rent then a landlord's letter granting you permission to stay.

Thank you for the quick reply my bank account in the UK is an on-line savings account which they do not issue statements also I am in Thailand do you think it would be a good idea to get a letter from my bank here in Thailand showing my account balance and also print of my on-line statements. I guess it can not do any harm.

John, you need to demonstrate sufficient funds to cover all the expenses of the visit. If your Thai bank account holds sufficient funds for this then there is no need to mention your UK bank at all. If you do want/need to show details of your UK account and you cannot get original statements then try and get a letter from the bank confirming their authenticity.

Rawhod, they do say that original documents, together with a photocopy, should be submitted. But if you are worried then submit a certified copy; but take the originals with you just in case.

I have never submitted a tabien baan, but if you want to prove land ownership then the chanote is proof of this.

Thank you for your help,

Does anyone know how the invitation letter should be set out I understand that I will need 2 letters one from myself sponsoring my wife and another from my father saying that we will be staying there and that there will not be any cost to either of us ETC. I am just unsure what should be included in the 2 said letters. Thank you.

Your Fathers letter should state that He and His wife , Have invited you for a holiday, It should Give a short description of his home , IE how many rooms and where you will sleep. maybe mortgage account statements if an, and that he will provide sustenance for the both of you when required, Yours should give a history of your relationship and maybe tell them that you have bank accounts,and a home in Thailand , This will help for reason to return to Thailand.

Edited by Thongkorn

thanks again for your answers just one more question, do i need to have our marriage certificate and other documents translated from Thai into English?

Thanks again

On the VFS site it says:

• Translations
    You should provide translations of any supporting documents that are not in English to ensure your visa application is considered fully. Any translated documents need to be submitted with the original document for verification. All translated documents must include the following information:
    • confirmation from the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document
    • the date of the translation
    • the translator's full name and signature
    • The translator's contact details

But despite it say this, others on this site have stated that translations ARE NOT necessary, See this thread

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/439604-translation-of-documents-for-uk-visa/ (a bit of a grey area I feel).

Personally, I'd reccommend getting them done anyway and include them with your application as they'll probably be handy to have at some future date.

Edited by thecatman

I note the advice given to supplying original bank statements, as opposed to printouts from online accounts, but in every application I have made I have supplied statements printed from the Internet, they have always been accepted without question and entry clearance given. ECO's can, and do, check the validity of documents and if they are proved to be false the applicant is subject to a 10 year ban.

Likewise if my partner and I have been invited to stay with friends and family we have supplied no more than unsigned, emailed invitations, we have never provided proof that the person providing the invite is in a position to do so. The guidance asks for contact details of invitees and the invitations can be checked out, again we have never had a problem.

I think 7by7 is correct in his assumption that ECO's prefer original bank statements, but believe it or not they do live in the real world and I suspect even they use and understand the concept of internet banking.

This post is only based on my own experiences, it's all down to what works for you.

I agree, oldgit, that they will accept printouts and photocopies; but, as you say, they are subject to being verified. This can cause delay in processing the application while the ECO awaits a response from the sponsor's bank; and I doubt that the ECO will be concerned about chasing the bank for that response.

Hence my advice to provide originals or verified printouts/photocopies if possible.

I understand that ECOs can decide to verify any document, but I think they are more likely to check a printout or photocopy than an original.