Australian Embassy Letter Re Income Validity Date

My annual extension of my current visa is due on August 22 this year. Previously I have had funds in the bank 3 months prior to this date to comply with immigration requirements.

This year I am going to the Australian embassy to obtain an income letter to submit to immigration in lieu of money in the bank.

My question is does the income letter from the embassy have an expiry date as far as immigration is concerned. Eg. Will immigration only accept this letter if it is say 90 days old or is the date you get the letter acceptable for say one year.

I know I can ring my local office but I have an opportunity to go to Bangkok with a friend early on Monday morning who can take me to the embassy as I have never been before. This will save my wife taking time off work to come with me also.

If any knowledgeable members can assist I would appreciate your help please.

This is Thailand - different answers are normal and right. Believe most will now accept 3 months but there is nothing in writing for most such things. Until this year there was a range from a month (or less) to 3 years or more depending on location/officer - last year it became current year at most locations - now most reports seem to favor 3 months.

I would check to see if they are open first, as I think Monday is a holiday for ANZAC DAY 25th April.

If you ring they should have a answer service telling you what days and times they are open, or go to their web site.

I would check to see if they are open first, as I think Monday is a holiday for ANZAC DAY 25th April.

If you ring they should have a answer service telling you what days and times they are open, or go to their web site.

The Aussies will be having a big party this week then because Tuesday, April 26th is also a holiday in lieu of a public holiday (ANZAC Day) falling on another public holiday (Easter Monday).

Trivia: This is a very rare event - the last time it could have occurred was 1943 (and before that 1886), both times when Easter fell on April 25 (I'm not sure if Australia had "in lieu of" public holidays back then). The next time they can have an extra holiday after Easter is 2038 when Easter again falls on April 25. Easter will not fall on April 24 again in any of our lifetimes - 2095. 1859 was the last time Easter fell on April 24.

There seems to be more than a little disparity in how the various Thai Immigrations offices scattered hither and yon thru-out this country interpret exactly when a document becomes "stale", "expired" or "out of date".

Changwattana in Bangkok seems to want them to be as 'fresh' as possible, but I’ve personally observed them accept ones which were 90 days old before without question. I did also observe one person being sent by Immigrations to acquire another "fresh" document as his was from the previous year.

It's sort of a crap shoot really. I know the verification document people get from the US Embassy doesn't even have an expiration date on it at all. It's totally a Thai interpretation of when it 'goes off'. ..

I'd have your significant Thai other call the local Immigrations Office and ask an official what their personal 'take' is on it.

In theory you should be FINE if the document is under 90 days old, but that’s just my observations out at Changwattana. Although I couldn’t find the post, I believe there were reports on the T/V forum of some offices wanting documents like this to be “aged” not more than 30 days.

There's just too much variance office by office to really pin down the exact date a document becomes 'stale' in Thai eyes.

Edited by tod-daniels

There seems to be more than a little disparity in how the various Thai Immigrations offices scattered hither and yon thru-out this country interpret exactly when a document becomes "stale", "expired" or "out of date".

Changwattana in Bangkok seems to want them to be as 'fresh' as possible, but I’ve personally observed them accept ones which were 90 days old before without question. I did also observe one person being sent by Immigrations to acquire another "fresh" document as his was from the previous year.

It's sort of a crap shoot really. I know the verification document people get from the US Embassy doesn't even have an expiration date on it at all. It's totally a Thai interpretation of when it 'goes off'. ..

I'd have your significant Thai other call the local Immigrations Office and ask an official what their personal 'take' is on it.

In theory you should be FINE if the document is under 90 days old, but that’s just my observations out at Changwattana. Although I couldn’t find the post, I believe there were reports on the T/V forum of some offices wanting documents like this to be “aged” not more than 30 days.

There's just too much variance office by office to really pin down the exact date a document becomes 'stale' in Thai eyes.

Thank you to everyone who has replied. Your help is invaluable. I have decided to get the wife to ring immigration tomorrow and get a definitive answer.

Once I get that then I will proceed. The last thing I want is to go all the way to Bangkok and then find I have to go back again because the letter is out of date.