Trucks Capable Of Lpg Or Ngv

jsgatse

So, I just looked at the flyer from the Toyota dealership. They say they give a 100,000 KM or 3 year warranty on their CNG install for the Vigo.

I guess that's not a bad option? Plus, they put the tank underneath....

The only position there is room for a tank underneath Vigo (I am on my 4th Vigo) is as a replacement for sparewheel. That would be max a 55 liter tank. Holding up to 6-7 kg CNG providing 50-60 km range. Or holding up to 44 liters LPG providing up to 400 km range

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I just looked at the flyer from the Toyota dealership. They say they give a 100,000 KM or 3 year warranty on their CNG install for the Vigo.

Same warranty as the Diesel motor. :)

The only position there is room for a tank underneath Vigo (I am on my 4th Vigo) is as a replacement for sparewheel. That would be max a 55 liter tank. Holding up to 6-7 kg CNG providing 50-60 km range. Or holding up to 44 liters LPG providing up to 400 km range

Here's a photo on their brochure....they show 3 pretty good sized tanks on the Vigo....post-119118-0-66918000-1303637032_thumb.

Here's a photo on their brochure....they show 3 pretty good sized tanks on the Vigo....post-119118-0-66918000-1303637032_thumb.

I probably shouldn't say this, but wow, does that ever look scary! :o

Does this mod also come with life insurance and 3rd party life & property liiability cover? ;)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

My wife just got off the phone with them....

They say it can hold 40 KG of CNG, which will provide about 300 KMs. That means about 340 THB to fill 'er up, and about 1 thb per KM, which seems pretty decent to an average of about 3THB per KM for diesel. Plus, they confirmed that the warranty stays in place.

I probably shouldn't say this, but wow, does that ever look scary! :o

Does this mod also come with life insurance and 3rd party life & property cover? ;)

Yes, no kidding, kind of looks like your strapped to a cruise missle :blink:

Thats for a flatbed, with 2 door Vigo front. Not very nice to sit in a flatbed with floor 30-40 cm higher than ordinary pickup. Huge bed tho ;)

My wife just got off the phone with them....

They say it can hold 40 KG of CNG, which will provide about 300 KMs. That means about 340 THB to fill 'er up, and about 1 thb per KM, which seems pretty decent to an average of about 3THB per KM for diesel. Plus, they confirmed that the warranty stays in place.

Those numbers don't add up - there's no sound reason why a VIGO running on CNG would get HALF the ecomony of the Triton CNG, unless something was seriously wrong with the implementation. Again scary, just in a different way now ;)

Those numbers don't add up - there's no sound reason why a VIGO running on CNG would get HALF the ecomony of the Triton CNG, unless something was seriously wrong with the implementation. Again scary, just in a different way now ;)

1,2 Kg CNG per 10 km is 10 baht. sounds about right for a light throttle for both of them

same driving a 2,5 diesel needs approx 0,8 liter/10 km at 24 baht

1,2 Kg CNG per 10 km is 10 baht. sounds about right for a light throttle for both of them

In our testing, CNG Triton single cab got 57 Satang/KM on BKK-Hua Hin test route, Triton mega cab got 54 Satang on same route, same day and time (mega cab better aerodyamically), so 1.2KG CNG would get 18.9KM in Triton CNG....

Edit: Note average highway speed for test was 110km/hr, with bursts of 140km/hr for 1 in 12 KM's

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

As noted prevously, TATA Xenon and Mitsu Triton are the current new pickup options with CNG factory fitted.

Mitsu Triton CNG was updated in January 2011 - CNG is now availabe in all cab styles, and with a larger, long-range tank option in single and mega cab versions.

Chevrolet also sold a Diesel w/LPG Colorado up until Q3 2010, but now discontinued. There may still be some floating about, but beware that it didn't look at all like a factory fit, and there must be reason it was withdrawn from the market...

You state above that CNG is available in all cab styles - does that include the double cab? If so, how much space is left in the back/bed? Is there anything left?

As noted prevously, TATA Xenon and Mitsu Triton are the current new pickup options with CNG factory fitted.

Mitsu Triton CNG was updated in January 2011 - CNG is now availabe in all cab styles, and with a larger, long-range tank option in single and mega cab versions.

Chevrolet also sold a Diesel w/LPG Colorado up until Q3 2010, but now discontinued. There may still be some floating about, but beware that it didn't look at all like a factory fit, and there must be reason it was withdrawn from the market...

You state above that CNG is available in all cab styles - does that include the double cab? If so, how much space is left in the back/bed? Is there anything left?

Just found this picture online. Looks pretty tight, but I guess with a cap on top, you could still fit a decent amount of gear back there....

Any idea what sort of range/cost this would get on the CNG side of things?

Thanks.post-119118-0-45514400-1303640647_thumb.

Just found this picture online. Looks pretty tight, but I guess with a cap on top, you could still fit a decent amount of gear back there....

We haven't yet tested the 2011 4-door, but I would expect it'd achieve somewhere betwen 48-53 Satang/KM with a canopy fitted, based on our test route (which is a mix of city/highway driving, geared towards real-world rather than best-case results).

We haven't yet tested the 2011 4-door, but I would expect it'd achieve somewhere betwen 48-53 Satang/KM with a canopy fitted, based on our test route (which is a mix of city/highway driving, geared towards real-world rather than best-case results).

That sounds pretty good. And, what sort of range do you think?

Max. fill weight was 17-18KG for memory, so ~290 KM per fill.

Note that filling is nowehere near as painful as a few years ago - now you can fill 4-5KG/min - when PTT "NGV" (CNG) first came out, it took about 5mins to fill 1KG! Some older stations may still be running the slow pumps though..

Note that filling is nowehere near as painful as a few years ago - now you can fill 4-5KG/min - when PTT "NGV" (CNG) first came out, it took about 5mins to fill 1KG! Some older stations may still be running the slow pumps though..

That's not a bad range. And, PTT is putting in a brand new NGV/CNG station about 2KMs from my house on Rama II that should be open soon. So, is the final analysis that CNG is the way to go since LPG will most likely be on the rise, and seems to already be slightly higher cost per KM?

Do you happen to know if the Mitsu Triton Double Cab CNG model comes with dual airbags? I know I'm starting to sound as paranoid as my grandmother, but I've taken 1 too many rides with my father in law who is a Bangkok Taxi Driver, and seen my life flash before my eyes with the driving that I've seen others capable of....I just want to protect me and my family the best I can.....

Thanks.

That's not a bad range. And, PTT is putting in a brand new NGV/CNG station about 2KMs from my house on Rama II that should be open soon. So, is the final analysis that CNG is the way to go since LPG will most likely be on the rise, and seems to already be slightly higher cost per KM?

Do you happen to know if the Mitsu Triton Double Cab CNG model comes with dual airbags? I know I'm starting to sound as paranoid as my grandmother, but I've taken 1 too many rides with my father in law who is a Bangkok Taxi Driver, and seen my life flash before my eyes with the driving that I've seen others capable of....I just want to protect me and my family the best I can.....

Thanks.

I do't have any specs at hand, but fairly certain that the Triton Plus 4-door CNG is driver's airbag only. IIRC, it has the same entertainment system as the Pajero Sport GT (Alpine DVD/VCD/CD player with 7" touchscreen), comes with a Garmin GPS, has ABS/EBD/BA, and black leather interior if paying the extra 25K for White Pearl exterior. Will update tommorrow if I got any of this wrong ;)

Thanks.

I do't have any specs at hand, but fairly certain that the Triton Plus 4-door CNG is driver's airbag only. IIRC, it has the same entertainment system as the Pajero Sport GT (Alpine DVD/VCD/CD player with 7" touchscreen), comes with a Garmin GPS, has ABS/EBD/BA, and black leather interior if paying the extra 25K for White Pearl exterior. Will update tommorrow if I got any of this wrong ;)

Thanks so much. When I talked with the Toyota guy, they told me that the cng model they offer only has airbags in the smartcab and that the double cab doesn't have airbags....that seems amazing to me since the double cab costs more....

In our testing, CNG Triton single cab got 57 Satang/KM on BKK-Hua Hin test route, Triton mega cab got 54 Satang on same route, same day and time (mega cab better aerodyamically), so 1.2KG CNG would get 18.9KM in Triton CNG....

Edit: Note average highway speed for test was 110km/hr, with bursts of 140km/hr for 1 in 12 KM's

wow, impressing numbers. did you measure petrol milage with same vehicle?

Triton CNG managed ~9km/l on gasohol 91 (E10) - not tested on E20.

If I recall correctly, you had mentioned earlier that you also had a Vigo with LPG....what sort of numbers to do get with that? Thanks!

Not me - I said that VIGO was not available with factory CNG. We don't do any testing on aftermarket mods..

I guess I am struggling with the core decision of LGP vs CNG. When I talk with my wife's family, they all advise against CNG. We live in BKK, and they say that even here, the lines for CNG are sometimes up to 1 hour. They say that people have been talking about the "impending" LGP rate increase for almost 2 years, and it still seems "OK" and prices are still decent for LGP.

I don't know enough about the landscape here....are CNG stations on the rise, and LPG on the decrease? Or, is CNG just really all talk? Or, has it grabbed on enough that it is here to stay?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I guess I am struggling with the core decision of LGP vs CNG. When I talk with my wife's family, they all advise against CNG. We live in BKK, and they say that even here, the lines for CNG are sometimes up to 1 hour. They say that people have been talking about the "impending" LGP rate increase for almost 2 years, and it still seems "OK" and prices are still decent for LGP.

I don't know enough about the landscape here....are CNG stations on the rise, and LPG on the decrease? Or, is CNG just really all talk? Or, has it grabbed on enough that it is here to stay?

CNG has been government subsidsed for transport use since 2002, and locked at 8.50Baht/KG since 2005. NGV cars have had a special excise tax for the same period, while no special treatment for LPG. CNG is domestically produced, LPG production is supplemented by imports. BKK municipal buses have almost all been coverted to CNG. Largest transport companies in the Kingdom run their artics on CNG. All taxies run on CNG. Several manufacturers make CNG powered vehicles (Toyota, Mitsubishi, Chevrolet, Proton, TATA), no manufacters make an LPG powered vehicle. NGV station network is growing (some stations were shut down for a while in 2009 for pump upgrades, but that was temporary).

I'd say it's pretty cleat that CNG (NGV) is here to stay ;)

Actually, I should have just stopped at taxis - they alone guarantee there'll be no rash changes to CNG policies ;)

CNG has been government subsidsed for transport use since 2002, and locked at 8.50Baht/KG since 2005. NGV cars have had a special excise tax for the same period, while no special treatment for LPG. CNG is domestically produced, LPG production is supplemented by imports. BKK municipal buses have almost all been coverted to CNG. Largest transport companies in the Kingdom run their artics on CNG. All taxies run on CNG. Several manufacturers make CNG powered vehicles (Toyota, Mitsubishi, Chevrolet, Proton, TATA), no manufacters make an LPG powered vehicle. NGV station network is growing (some stations were shut down for a while in 2009 for pump upgrades, but that was temporary).

I'd say it's pretty cleat that CNG (NGV) is here to stay ;)

Actually, I should have just stopped at taxis - they alone guarantee there'll be no rash changes to CNG policies ;)

I hear what you are saying ;)

When is the new Ford Ranger with CNG due to be released?

• 3 months later...

any diesel can be run with 30-50% LPG mixed with diesel, but havent seen any bolt on kits here yet

I have seen numerous shops selling+fitting LPG aftermarket. Prices start around 30K Baht, but the few I've stopped at all failed to impress- the whole procedure seemed a little too simplistic and generic, and tuning is done by screwdriver with zero diagnostics.

Even if a good kit could be found, you've still voided all warranty, and can no longer park in undercover carparks. Still, the extra HP would be nice... :)

agreed, the diesel LPG installations I have seen here I could make in my garage, and thats why I m still looking for a proper kit integrated with ECU

http://www.41autogas.com/

Seems to have diesel/LPG fumigation that is ECU controlled. Will look seriously into it as soon as I can get all the pages/flyers on their site translated.

Only down side for me is that they are in Chaing Mai...and I also have to wait another year before my warranty is up!

I'm really surprised at the number of Tata NGV trucks on the roads. I have no idea of the size of the NGV tank or the economy. I do know that NGV tanks are sized in liters and NG is sold by the KG. That is why there is so much confusion. As mentioned before, KG capacity of any tank varies by the pressure used at the station.

I think I would be much more comfortable with the MUCH lower pressure LPG tank than the high pressure NG tank.

From what I read, the Aussies have perfected the diesel LPG mixing and the increase in power and economy is impressive. Most systems consider a 30% LPG and 70% diesel mixture as optimal. The system involves some machining on the cylinder head and the rest of the injection system is also not cheap. That's why it is not commonly used in small trucks.

I'm really surprised at the number of Tata NGV trucks on the roads. I have no idea of the size of the NGV tank or the economy. I do know that NGV tanks are sized in liters and NG is sold by the KG. That is why there is so much confusion. As mentioned before, KG capacity of any tank varies by the pressure used at the station.

I think I would be much more comfortable with the MUCH lower pressure LPG tank than the high pressure NG tank.

From what I read, the Aussies have perfected the diesel LPG mixing and the increase in power and economy is impressive. Most systems consider a 30% LPG and 70% diesel mixture as optimal. The system involves some machining on the cylinder head and the rest of the injection system is also not cheap. That's why it is not commonly used in small trucks.

If you have a Tata NGV with extra tanks in the bed in Surat Thani you can still not go 280km to Phuket, as there is no fuel to go back to Surat

• 9 months later...

If you have a Tata NGV with extra tanks in the bed in Surat Thani you can still not go 280km to Phuket, as there is no fuel to go back to Surat

is this still accurate information?

it would be a shame if it is.

• 1 month later...