Trucks Capable Of Lpg Or Ngv

jsgatse

Hello everyone.

Can anyone please supply me a list of trucks available in Thailand that can either come with CNG already installed by the manufacturer, or are capbale of having LPG installed aftermarket?

Does anyone have any experience doing this? How is the gas mileage? Was it worth it?

Thank you very much!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TATA has one model on offer.

mitsu triton CNG

Vigo aftermarket CNG or LPG for the 2,7 petrol

any diesel can be run with 30-50% LPG mixed with diesel, but havent seen any bolt on kits here yet

Which is true, more or less.

Depends on what you want to inject (vapourised)LPG for.

Prestation or economy.

For prestation the amount of LPG can be as high as 50%, but this will possibly diminish the longevity of the engine.

For economy the amount of LPG injected should be around 15-20%.

The engine becomes much cleaner burning.

In England and the Netherlands there are systems on the market which are switchable, economy/prestation.

However, most can be found on trucks, the big ones.

CNG seems to be more suitable for diesel engines, however, driving around with a 200 Ato tank in your car, not me.

For trucks maybe ok, but LPG is safer for cars.

TATA has one model on offer.

mitsu triton CNG

Vigo aftermarket CNG or LPG for the 2,7 petrol

any diesel can be run with 30-50% LPG mixed with diesel, but havent seen any bolt on kits here yet

Which is true, more or less.

Depends on what you want to inject (vapourised)LPG for.

Prestation or economy.

For prestation the amount of LPG can be as high as 50%, but this will possibly diminish the longevity of the engine.

For economy the amount of LPG injected should be around 15-20%.

The engine becomes much cleaner burning.

In England and the Netherlands there are systems on the market which are switchable, economy/prestation.

However, most can be found on trucks, the big ones.

CNG seems to be more suitable for diesel engines, however, driving around with a 200 Ato tank in your car, not me.

For trucks maybe ok, but LPG is safer for cars.

as LPG costs less than half of diesel, both here and in Europe, even 50% LPG mix reduces fuel costs. 30-50%, as you say, increases power. Dont recall the exact gain with 50% from a 7,3 liter Ford V8, but as I recall it was from approx 220-320 hp dyno. Lifetime with 50% LPG, +400k km in delivery trucks.

More than 30% increase CO2, but all LPG mixes reduce particles in exhaust

The large trucks in Thailand use CNG for financial reasons only, does anyone know the mix ratio? Huge CNG tanks, so I would guess at least 50% CNG fuel

As noted prevously, TATA Xenon and Mitsu Triton are the current new pickup options with CNG factory fitted.

Mitsu Triton CNG was updated in January 2011 - CNG is now availabe in all cab styles, and with a larger, long-range tank option in single and mega cab versions.

Chevrolet also sold a Diesel w/LPG Colorado up until Q3 2010, but now discontinued. There may still be some floating about, but beware that it didn't look at all like a factory fit, and there must be reason it was withdrawn from the market...

Thanks to all thus far. I was told that you could only add LPG to a truck that has a Benzine engine, is that correct?

I was at the Toyota dealership yesterday and they were pitching a Vigo Double Cab with CNG installed by the dealership. They told me it takes 170 liters of CNG and that will enable it to go 300 kms. At about 9 THB per liter for CNG that's 1,500 more or less, to fill up, with a cost of 5 THB per KM. That seems wrong, doesn't it?

THe thing I liked was that for the Toyota, they put 3 CNG tanks under the bed, so you don't lose any space. On the Mitsu Triton, they put the tank in the back of the bed, so you lose a bunch of space.

Anyone have experience with the Toytoa Vigo CNG?

Thanks

I have seen numerous shops selling+fitting LPG aftermarket. Prices start around 30K Baht, but the few I've stopped at all failed to impress- the whole procedure seemed a little too simplistic and generic, and tuning is done by screwdriver with zero diagnostics.

Even if a good kit could be found, you've still voided all warranty, and can no longer park in undercover carparks. Still, the extra HP would be nice... :)

As noted prevously, TATA Xenon and Mitsu Triton are the current new pickup options with CNG factory fitted.

Mitsu Triton CNG was updated in January 2011 - CNG is now availabe in all cab styles, and with a larger, long-range tank option in single and mega cab versions.

Chevrolet also sold a Diesel w/LPG Colorado up until Q3 2010, but now discontinued. There may still be some floating about, but beware that it didn't look at all like a factory fit, and there must be reason it was withdrawn from the market...

Does Mitsu make the CNG for the double cab (4 door)? Do they put the tank in the bed or underneath? Maybe the guy at the dealership didn't know the correct info yesterday....he made it sound like it was NOT available on the double cab and they always went in the bed/back and not underneath.

Thanks!

Thanks to all thus far. I was told that you could only add LPG to a truck that has a Benzine engine, is that correct?

I was at the Toyota dealership yesterday and they were pitching a Vigo Double Cab with CNG installed by the dealership. They told me it takes 170 liters of CNG and that will enable it to go 300 kms. At about 9 THB per liter for CNG that's 1,500 more or less, to fill up, with a cost of 5 THB per KM. That seems wrong, doesn't it?

THe thing I liked was that for the Toyota, they put 3 CNG tanks under the bed, so you don't lose any space. On the Mitsu Triton, they put the tank in the back of the bed, so you lose a bunch of space.

Thanks

CNG sold at a pump is sold in Kg, not Liter. As I recall one Kg CNG is approx 4 Liter. If a car needs one Liter petrol to cover 10 km, it usually needs one Kg CNG to cover same. For a Vigo 2,7 petrol engine to cover 300km on CNG at constant speed 85kmh, approx 30 kg of CNG is needed. In real driving but easy throttle, expect 35-40 Kg CNG to be needed for 300km range.

So to cover 300 km, 170 Liter netto tank shold do. Not sure about safety margin for CNG tanks, but I guess 170 liter netto is approx 210 Liter brutto, which is a huge tank

For CNG be aware only parts of the country has CNG pumps, Google Ptt NGV to find pump charts. Going from Surathani to Phuket and back is impossible with CNG only, unless you have several huge tanks, IOW range of 700 km.

I have seen numerous shops selling+fitting LPG aftermarket. Prices start around 30K Baht, but the few I've stopped at all failed to impress- the whole procedure seemed a little too simplistic and generic, and tuning is done by screwdriver with zero diagnostics.

Even if a good kit could be found, you've still voided all warranty, and can no longer park in undercover carparks. Still, the extra HP would be nice... :)

agreed, the diesel LPG installations I have seen here I could make in my garage, and thats why I m still looking for a proper kit integrated with ECU

Does Mitsu make the CNG for the double cab (4 door)? Do they put the tank in the bed or underneath? Maybe the guy at the dealership didn't know the correct info yesterday....he made it sound like it was NOT available on the double cab and they always went in the bed/back and not underneath.

Thanks!

only pickup with underneath tank installation is Tata, under a flatbed, and rather short range, and CNG only, IOW no petrol backup if CNG sold out at pump

Thanks

NGV is sold by the kilogram, and is currently gov't locked at 8.50 Baht/KG since 2005. No way any pickup truck has a 170KG CNG tank - more like 10% of that :)

Triton CNG costs around 54-60 Satang/KM to run at legal speeds, with a range of ~270-300KM on CNG alone. Can also run on E20, with a 65L tank capable of around 650-700KM range.

VIGO has no factory option for CNG, so beware of quality, safety and warranty.

Thanks!

CNG is available in the 4-door Triton Plus model, as of January 2011. Tank is in the tray however, so cargo space is very much crippled.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Thanks

NGV is sold by the kilogram, and is currently gov't locked at 8.50 Baht/KG since 2005. No way any pickup truck has a 170KG CNG tank - more like 10% of that :)

Triton CNG costs around 54-60 Satang/KM to run at legal speeds, with a range of ~270-300KM on CNG alone. Can also run on E20, with a 65L tank capable of around 650-700KM range.

VIGO has no factory option for CNG, so beware of quality, safety and warranty.

170 Kg CNG tanks would require the whole bed of a 4 door Vigo pluss some more making it impossible to close hatch. The whole bed is approx 900 liter between wheel arches

While we are talking NGV, does anyone know the tank size in Toyota Altis 1,6 G factory fitted?

I have found it to be 105 Kg more heavy than petrol only, trunk 170 liter smaller, but no online info on tank size.

Engine provides 10% less power on petrol, so assume 30% less on CNG.

I am in need of a car seating 4, driving Hua Hin-BKK roundtrip twice a week, IOW +50k km a year. Altis CNG springs to mind

While we are talking NGV, does anyone know the tank size in Toyota Altis 1,6 G factory fitted?

I have found it to be 105 Kg more heavy than petrol only, trunk 170 liter smaller, but no online info on tank size.

I am in need of a car seating 4, driving Hua Hin-BKK roundtrip twice a week, IOW +50k km a year. Altis CNG springs to mind

My future Thai son in law has just bought a Chevy Aveo factory CNG (think CNG) 1.6 powered ride. Had a Honda Civic 1.6 but was expensive to run with the mileage driven in his work. Be interesting to see how it turns out. He is in Chon Buri/Bangkok area. :)

My future Thai son in law has just bought a Chevy Aveo factory CNG (think CNG) 1.6 powered ride. Had a Honda Civic 1.6 but was expensive to run with the mileage driven in his work. Be interesting to see how it turns out. He is in Chon Buri/Bangkok area. :)

factory fitted is a must. It reduces excice tax from 25% to 10%, thus CNG costs 10k baht more for Altis, and warranty is kept, and fitting is assumable safe. In addition Altis factory NGV has a CNG compatible engine (not the same as petrol only), with parts like valves, head and pistons able to withstand the higher combustion temp. But whats the size of the tank, and what range in real world, IOW 120-140 kmh?

Manufacturers' don't normally quote CNG tank capacity, because it varies depending on pumping station pressure. CNG Altis and Lancer can normally squeeze in 12-13KG from empty, giving a range of ~200-250KM depending on driving style/conditions. Both also have 45L fuel tank and E20 compat should you run out before the next station.

Note that the CVT Lancer CNG is ~200,000 Baht cheaper than the CVT Altis CNG after a little negotiation. It's the old model shape, but still worth a look due to the huge price difference..

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

factory fitted is a must. It reduces excice tax from 25% to 10%, thus CNG costs 10k baht more for Altis, and warranty is kept, and fitting is assumable safe. In addition Altis factory NGV has a CNG compatible engine (not the same as petrol only), with parts like valves, head and pistons able to withstand the higher combustion temp. But whats the size of the tank, and what range in real world, IOW 120-140 kmh?

Don't know but when they come up here will investigate. Lazy me, we do a search. :D

Looked, seems the CNG tank is good for 180/200 KM in the Aveo.

Edited by transam

Manufacturers' don't normally quote CNG tank capacity, because it varies depending on pumping station pressure. CNG Altis and Lancer can normally squeeze in 12-13KG from empty, giving a range of ~200-250KM depending on driving style/conditions. Both also have 45L fuel tank and E20 compat should you run out before the next station.

Note that the CVT Lancer CNG is ~200,000 Baht cheaper than the CVT Altis CNG after a little negotiation. It's the old model shape, but still worth a look due to the huge price difference..

Altis NGV is a 1,6G 4 speed auto, no CVT, and petrol tank is 55 liters. All they offer is Insurance and 10k baht, and expect this campain to stop soon as they are lacking parts from Japan to make cars. Honda cant deliver cars before estimated September :rolleyes:

I find LancerNGV to be dated, I may drive it myself on occasions, and Mitsu Hua Hin is crap

So, to recap, for CNG, only Tata and Mitsui do factory installed. The Toyota Vigo dealer near my place must do it "unofficially".

But, it seems that with the range and unavailablity of CNG that LPG is a better bet, correct?

And, it seems that adding LGP to a diesel engine, at least in Thaialnd, isn't a smart thing to do. So, that leaves LGP aftermarket on a Petrol engine. Which trucks come with Petrol engines? Seems like everything I see is Diesel.

Thanks!

So, to recap, for CNG, only Tata and Mitsui do factory installed. The Toyota Vigo dealer near my place must do it "unofficially".

But, it seems that with the range and unavailablity of CNG that LPG is a better bet, correct?

And, it seems that adding LGP to a diesel engine, at least in Thaialnd, isn't a smart thing to do. So, that leaves LGP aftermarket on a Petrol engine. Which trucks come with Petrol engines? Seems like everything I see is Diesel.

Thanks!

mitsu 2,4 petrol

toyota 2,7 petrol

both low on perfomance compared to diesel sisters

LPG costs approx double of CNG to run, but tank same size provides double range

as LPG tank can be smaller, it can be installled in spare wheel position providing better range than huge CNG tank in bed

Altis NGV is a 1,6G 4 speed auto, no CVT, and petrol tank is 55 liters. All they offer is Insurance and 10k baht, and expect this campain to stop soon as they are lacking parts from Japan to make cars. Honda cant deliver cars before estimated September :rolleyes:

I find LancerNGV to be dated, I may drive it myself on occasions, and Mitsu Hua Hin is crap

Agree - If you gave me a last-gen Lancer I'd only sell it ;) Awful car to drive IMHO, but if an employee was drive it.. well, different story :D

Which trucks come with Petrol engines? Seems like everything I see is Diesel.

Thanks!

Toyota VIGO (2.7L) and Mitsu Triton (2.4L) are the only pickups currently available with petrol in TH. New T6 Ford Ranger (Q3) and Mazda BT-50 (Q4/Q1 '12) will have petrol engine options as well.

as LPG tank can be smaller, it can be installled in spare wheel position providing better range than huge CNG tank in bed

Also important to note that LPG prices are artificially low due to goverment subsidies aimed at domestic energy, not transportation, so the price for transportation use could change at any momement (and probably will).. CNG, E20 and diesel are the fuels primarily targetted for transporation subsidies, of which CNG is the only one that's somewhat guaranteed to hold it's low price.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

mitsu 2,4 petrol

toyota 2,7 petrol

both low on perfomance compared to diesel sisters

Thank you. I am really just looking for something affordable to use on day and overnight trips for me and my exteneded family, Something that could fit about 7 people (they don't mind sitting in the back with a cap). The prices I've seen for things like the Fortuner and Innova are just crazy. So, that's a long way of saying that I'm not looking for soemthing to go off-roading or pull a bunch of stuff.

Even with the conversion, the Mitsu or Toyota seem at least 300,000 THB cheaper, which is a lot of coin. Plus, with the driving skills I've seen on most roads around here, I tihnk I would feel safer in a higher/larger truck. Is my logic sound, or should I thinking of something else?

Plus, I have seen the donut tanks for the spare wheel position, and that seems like the way to go, as you don't lose all the space. I was just really disapointed when I saw the HUGE CNG tank on the Mitsu taking up about 50% of the space of the bed on the double cab.

Also important to note that LPG prices are artificially low due to goverment subsidies aimed at domestic energy, not transportation, so price could change at any momement.. CNG, E20 and diesel are the fuels offically supported for transporation subsidies, of which CNG is the only one that's somewhat guaranteed to hold it's low price.

yepp, its just a matter of time before subsidisng LPG for transportation is history. Presently 15 Kg for cooking costs 300 baht or less pr Kg for larger bottles, while at car pump its 12-14? baht Liter, and the day locals realize 15 Kg for cooking is 30 liter at 10 baht liter or less, we have a safety issue ;)

LPG instalations in new taxis is no longer permitted, CNG is the goal. LPG is imported, CNG can be domestic product only

Thank you. I am really just looking for something affordable to use on day and overnight trips for me and my exteneded family, Something that could fit about 7 people (they don't mind sitting in the back with a cap). The prices I've seen for things like the Fortuner and Innova are just crazy. So, that's a long way of saying that I'm not looking for soemthing to go off-roading or pull a bunch of stuff.

Even with the conversion, the Mitsu or Toyota seem at least 300,000 THB cheaper, which is a lot of coin. Plus, with the driving skills I've seen on most roads around here, I tihnk I would feel safer in a higher/larger truck. Is my logic sound, or should I thinking of something else?

Plus, I have seen the donut tanks for the spare wheel position, and that seems like the way to go, as you don't lose all the space. I was just really disapointed when I saw the HUGE CNG tank on the Mitsu taking up about 50% of the space of the bed on the double cab.

a diesel pickup takes you 20.000 km for approx 50.000 baht in diesel fuel. You need to drive a lot to defend the price of purchase and inconvinence of LPG and CNG. With CNG you will in reality find yourself using petrol 10-30% of your driving. The future price of LPG will be much higher, like +20 baht/liter as in most markets, IOW more expensive on fuel than a diesel

12-13 Kg CNG. Better off with a 550k baht Vios. AltisNGV at 840k baht just to small CNG tank to be run on CNG only.