Fish And Chips Uk Style

taxexile

french fries/chips were recently mentioned in another topic.

this has whetted my appetite, and my taste buds are lubricating with expectation.

can anybody recommend somewhere where decent (decent to the expectations of a uk citizen) fish and chips can be obtained.

the best fish and chips i have had in thailand were at the seafood market(if it swims we sell it) down sukhumvit 24. but that restaurant is very expensive and lacks the required ambience for the enjoyment of fish and chips.(old geysers in flat caps smoking untipped woodbines,greasy copies of the daily mirror,steaming mugs of proper tea and bottles of warm dandelion and burdock)

the chippy near soi cowboy,although reminiscent in many ways of a downmarket uk chippy,especially some of the sad dossers eating there, failed the taste test miserably.

there is a restaurant on the corner near the bangkok bank in nathon on samui that does a pretty good job tastewise.

but, apart from those, it would seem that thailand is a desert fish and chip-wise.

so if anybody knows of a decent cafe or chippy-like establishment that serves imported cold water fish or decent thai fish that fry up well, please share your knowledge with me and any other brits who long for good fish and chips.

Sounds to me that taxexile has seen a gap in the market here,if he starts one will he promise to have real vinegar instead of the chemical substitute?

What about the wrapping paper? It will have to be imported back issues of the Sun or Daily Mirror can't have the brain taxed too much after a night out reading greasy old news from the Guardian.

if i were to open one i can promise proper vinegar (sarsons) and back issues of the uk tabloids, or at least thai rath and the pattaya mail.

what i would find hard to supply are the old codgers in raincoats and flat caps moaning on about bolton wanderers or preston north end.

krong thip would be a good substitute for the woodbines though

but as yet no one has answered my enquiry for a recommendation for somewhere approximating the real thing.

i await, salivating in hope.

Guest IT Manager

Open it in Chiang Mai. The tossers are to be found on Loi Kroh. In fact there is a place there maybe make a good chippie. Need to discuss with a member.

What you offerin then gov'.

:o:D

Before I reach into her purse for a start in this fabulous new enterprise I have a few questions.

First the staff, without being racist, no Chinese or Thai's to be employed, but genuine fat slags imported from the Burnley tripe angle(Blackburn,Burnley and Accrington,only place in the world with a football team called Stanley, or did have) to save on start up expenses they could be shipped frieght because of the weight, with bleached hair and black roots, footwear, at least size 10s with the obligatory sticking plaster on the back of the heel.

Staff training,I would expect that they be given exams on surly behaviour,you know make the customers wait until they have exhausted every aspect of the latest episode of Coronation street before they decide to serve them.

I would expect at the minimum when a customer comes in about 20 minutes from closing time (the shop not the pub) and there are no fish available to say would you like a pie instead?It is obvious to anyone with half an eye that the customer didn't really want a fish in the first place.

Equipment, second hand would do and don't bother washing it as 3 week old gravy and curry encrusted trays add to the experience (Imodium could also be sold).

These measures would give the genuine "feel" to the enterprise.

I really think that this enterprise could within a very short time be listed on the Thai stock exchange providing that it is started with the right attitude and verve.

maerim, sounds like you are hankering after the managers job.

along with the grease encrusted equipment , we shouldn't forget the 15 month old jar of pickled onions on the counter.

but seriously folks, where can i get decent fish and chips in bangkok.

surely someone must know.

ahhhh.....the 13 coins.

thats where, in the days when i was a penniless backpacker/english teacher imposter i tried to impress my girlfriend with my knowledge of international cuisine before she became my wife in 1989.

it was in the shopping area behind villa supermarket,is it still there???

i will certainly try their fish and chips upon our return to thailand,hopefully within the next month.

thanks.

any other recommendations will be gratefully recieved.

13 Coins

Many Branches in Bangkok

I was in their Ramkamhaeng Branch this evening.

There is another Inside the Big C / Imperial Ladprao road

And another behind that building that has Live Music

and open until 2.00am

They also have a Large new - what they call "Resort"

just off the Ekkaimai / RamInthra Link road

(on the Opposite side to Lotus Tesco).

It has various Inside areas - Private Rooms,

Live Music area and another Garden Area

with Pond & Fountain.

Try

Buffalo bills in Hua Hin, cod and chips and vinigar (the good stuff) B)

or

Patts Pies in Pattaya (on 3rd road)

Both use COD :D (not crappy Thai white fish) and propper chips not American twigglets.

Sorry i must go now im fair clemed, im going fer sum jacbit. :o

french fries/chips were recently mentioned in another topic.

this has whetted my appetite, and my taste buds are lubricating with expectation.

can anybody recommend somewhere where decent (decent to the expectations of a uk citizen) fish and chips can be obtained.

i think its a forlorn hope , you cant get the right spuds or the coldwater fish like cod or haddock or rock , then there is the problem of obtaining genuine NORTHERN LARD collected from the ancient abbatoirs of Grimethorpe and Wigan since the time of Henry IV .

Red snapper and serpent headed fish dont seem right dipped in a batter and deep fried.

keep on looking maybe you will get lucky . :o

then there is the problem of obtaining genuine NORTHERN LARD collected from the ancient abbatoirs of Grimethorpe and Wigan since the time of Henry IV .

Well I never, so thats where lard comes from,I always thought it was mined.

Learn something new everyday.

Before I reach into her purse for a start in this fabulous new enterprise I have a few questions.

First the staff, without being racist, no Chinese or Thai's to be employed, but genuine fat slags imported from the Burnley tripe angle(Blackburn,Burnley and Accrington,only place in the world with a football team called Stanley, or did have) to save on start up expenses they could be shipped frieght because of the weight, with bleached hair and black roots, footwear, at least size 10s with the obligatory sticking plaster on the back of the heel.

Staff training,I would expect that they be given exams on surly behaviour,you know make the customers wait until they have exhausted every aspect of the latest episode of Coronation street before they decide to serve them.

I would expect at the minimum when a customer comes in about 20 minutes from closing time (the shop not the pub) and there are no fish available to say would you like a pie instead?It is obvious to anyone with half an eye that the customer didn't really want a fish in the first place.

Equipment, second hand would do and don't bother washing it as 3 week old gravy and curry encrusted trays add to the experience (Imodium could also be sold).

These measures would give the genuine "feel" to the enterprise.

I really think that this enterprise could within a very short time be listed on the Thai stock exchange providing that it is started with the right attitude and verve.

What about punctuality training? "I'm only 20 minutes late, what do you mean you won't pay me for the full hour?"

The place forSpotted dick. :o

Might be worth a look "sea"

Wit's Oyster Bar & Restaurant

Bangkok's first & only oyster Bar & Restaurant, serving typical British cooking, especially fresh ingredients are used. House specialities are Fresh oyster, Stilton soup, Whitebait, Steak & Kidney Pie, Deep Fried Cod & Chips, Spotted dick. The atmosphere is evident to the authenticity of the Wheeler's of London style oyster bar. One of the best collection of spirits in the bar. Open: 11: 30 - 23:30 Approx.Price: B700-1,000 / pers (Excluding Drinks) Capacity: 70 Seats Cocktails: Full Bar Credit Cards: All Major Cards :D

20110-11 Soi Ruamrudee, Ploenchit Rd bangkok

Telephone : 251-9455, 252-1820

thanks jonnyk, it is indeed fish and chips that i want.

and thanks for all the recommendations, over the course of the next few months i hope to try them all (except the soi cowboy ones, i've tried those already and wasn't impressed.)

wits oyster bar will be the first.

thanks jonnyk, it is indeed fish and chips that i want.

and thanks for all the recommendations, over the course of the next few months i hope to try them all (except the soi cowboy ones, i've tried those already and wasn't impressed.)

wits oyster bar will be the first.

The other great advantage of the Queen Vic is that its on soi6 in Pattaya so after enjoying your most excellent BBBJCIM at King Kong Bar, or one of many other upscale establishments, you can rubber-leg yourself a few yards, fill your gob and replenish the precious bodily fluids that have been so expertly drained...or you can first fill your gob etc and trundle over for dessert. :o

British pudding ...a boiled suet containing currants etc.

Ahh good old British cuisine and gravy that does not move about, please stop you are making me homesick, that's why I came here in the first place because I was sick of my home there