7/11'S Now Ignoring Licensing Laws?

Lannatyne

Called at the 7/11 opposite DaVinci's, Nai Harn yesterday, at 2.45pm. Thai girl in front of me with a couple of bottles of Chang, and I was amazed that she was able to buy them at that time.

With a party to go to at 5pm, thought I'd try to pick up some beers myself. So, around 3.30pm, I went to the 7/11 down past the Rawai Siam Commercial Bank, and the Laguna Bars. Went to the checkout with an assortment of 6 large bottles, and no problem whatsoever.

All the notices for a 2pm 'curfew' were still on display. Any others now getting alcohol out-of-hours from these 'respectable' shops?

Occasionally I will encounter a 7-11 that is obeying the laws, but usually all I have to do is go to the next 7-11 down the road or around the corner to a buy alcohol. The 7-11's that follow the laws seem to be larger ones on main roads or be near schools. The mom and pop shops don't seem to ever follow the law. Minors don't seem to have any problem buying either.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

I go to the "super maket" (<<<<please dont correct me on my spelling because that is how its spelled) just opposite the burger shop on the road to kata near chalong circle, The beer is cheaper than any 7-11 or family mart, plus the selection is greater, none of the licencing laws apply there no matter what day or time rolleyes.gif.

Another thing I like is they have 2 cash registers and they are constantly manned.....unlike 7-11s which have 3 cash registers and only one person serving while the rest of the staff are cooking those lovely hot dogs or re-stacking full shelves

I go to the "super maket" (<<<<please dont correct me on my spelling because that is how its spelled) just opposite the burger shop on the road to kata near chalong circle, The beer is cheaper than any 7-11 or family mart, plus the selection is greater, none of the licencing laws apply there no matter what day or time rolleyes.gif.

Another thing I like is they have 2 cash registers and they are constantly manned.....unlike 7-11s which have 3 cash registers and only one person serving while the rest of the staff are cooking those lovely hot dogs or re-stacking full shelves

7/11's are a franchise. I guess the franchisee 'interprets' the rules, which is why it varies from shop to shop. There are two 7/11's equi-distant from my house. One sells at any time, the other sticks to the rules. I was once refused at 2.01pm even though i'd been stood in the queue for 5 minutes................frustrating.

I've also been in 7/11's where the staff have had a discussion and then decided to sell me the booze because i'm not Thai.

I'm not complaining. I think licensing laws for adults are ridiculous. Selling to minors is another matter though.

In Cha-am it has never been a problem, they sell you beer all the in any 7-11

There are a few that wont, end of Long Beach, but hey there is a Family Mart Opposite, and also one just befor Catteraya...just dont use them as there are plenty others...besides, Leo in 7/11 is 30 Baht..Mam & Pops only charge 26/27 Baht..

I've seen them keep some cakes next to the register and scan that when anyone was buying beer during the 2 pm to 5pm restrictions.

Head office must wonder why cake sales are through the roofrolleyes.gif

You just reminded me of a time I was at a Tesco buying a bunch of beer for my friends bar and they wouldn't sell it to me. They said the computer wouldn't allow the sale during those times.

I've seen them keep some cakes next to the register and scan that when anyone was buying beer during the 2 pm to 5pm restrictions.

Head office must wonder why cake sales are through the roofrolleyes.gif

You just reminded me of a time I was at a Tesco buying a bunch of beer for my friends bar and they wouldn't sell it to me. They said the computer wouldn't allow the sale during those times.

Selling more than 10 liters is allowed any time. Thats a bunch of beer :P

Now that is insider info... I loke that place and will often ue the HaYek spin dance to get some cold suds. 3K for that one!

You are a Chalong Circle Warrior