Chiang Mai, Loi Kroh Road

Beetlejuice

• 3 weeks later...

i avoid number one bar its about the only one i really wont go in as a guy i know walked in one day asked the waitress how are you she replied thirsty you buy drink for me ? hes response was no and walked out never to return i wounder how many have done that

a little training may be in order

I guess because I am a woman they don't pester me. But, they are open for a chat if the bar is not too crowded. They seem to like my red hair.

I go there perhaps a few times a year when my dad visits, he like it there - music not too loud, not too crowded, but with atmosphere, company not too oppressive and a ton of TVs with different sports or news channels on each :D (we always go to the right - old building with the pool in the back). When I do go the girls there recognise me - a couple even rememeber my name (which I find amazing!). Yet I have never bought any of them a drink (my dad has though - but only one or two during the night) - they know I live here, and that I bring my old dad when he comes. If its not too busy, couple of the regular girls come up and chat - normal stuff - both in Thai and English (Thinglish). Only the very first time we came, before the other side of the road was built and "upstairs" was still open for food, years back, did we get pressed for company and drinks - both denied. When customers that are likely drink targets come in, they saunter off, after they come back for a chat with us at the bar. I think it's fair to say that they know their customers there and dig when gold is in sight and stick to sociable and condusive elsewise (i.e. keep us in the bar).

• Like 2

....I strolled the road last night, first time in months it sure is getting family friendly. i noticed a new place, some sort of Christo child care center for as they put it "the children of the red light district workers" . that has got to be the tamest (lamest) wild street in the land. Cm saloon burger was good though...... yawn.

The last time I was there they were using Number 1 for storage and "Number 2" was still open. Have they now reopened the "east" side?

No, everything is now in the newer/bigger place at the same location. The newest location is in Pa Daed, South of Aom Muang road. Those are the two locations. (Number 1 Bar/Bistro in Loy Kroh Soi 1, and Number 1 Beer Garden on the Pa Daed road.)

I wouldn't read too much into using the shack on one side for storage; the main place is already one of the biggest bars in the area.

what on earth has happened to the 'original'? no draft beers? (apart from Tiger) it really has dipped

Aside from the local (Tiger), they have a bunch of german and belgian beers on tap. Not many places have that.

Which Germans and Belgians do they have on tap?

Dropped by and got my own answer to that. First visit for me to the No 1 too. On tap they had no German beer, Aside from Tiger what they have are the InBev Belgian beers (Stella, Leffe, and Hoegaarden). Those are swill but probably they sell. Overall they seem to be a place whose niche is not quality beer in general but Belgian beers in particular. As such, I think that it's appropriate that they focus on bottled beers, and I'd have to say that they do have a nice assortment of bottled Belgians.

I was merely trying to warn a respectable western lady about the possible problems of visiting such a place.

If you want to pick some sort of argument, please do it by PM and not in a public forum.

so what kind of lady are you Tommo? Are you now promoting yourself as a guardian of the moral virtues of your fellow women?

Respectable woman wanders down LR, post-25861-0-69196800-1359188012_thumb.jand after 2 hours of spying decides to complain to TAT.post-25861-0-50364100-1359188058_thumb.j She proceeds to lecture her hubby on the evils of naughty massagespost-25861-0-54284400-1359188153_thumb.j then further reminds him of cousin Limpet who has the proper sex partner for a man of his age. post-25861-0-66240600-1359188244_thumb.j

So remember guys, if you hang out on Loi Kroh road you'll never have wonderful wives like these!

I was merely trying to warn a respectable western lady about the possible problems of visiting such a place.

If you want to pick some sort of argument, please do it by PM and not in a public forum.

so what kind of lady are you Tommo? Are you now promoting yourself as a guardian of the moral virtues of your fellow women?

Respectable woman wanders down LR, post-25861-0-69196800-1359188012_thumb.jand after 2 hours of spying decides to complain to TAT.post-25861-0-50364100-1359188058_thumb.j She proceeds to lecture her hubby on the evils of naughty massagespost-25861-0-54284400-1359188153_thumb.j then further reminds him of cousin Limpet who has the proper sex partner for a man of his age. post-25861-0-66240600-1359188244_thumb.j

So remember guys, if you hang out on Loi Kroh road you'll never have wonderful wives like these!

THANK GOD thumbsup.gif

The last time I was there they were using Number 1 for storage and "Number 2" was still open. Have they now reopened the "east" side?

No, everything is now in the newer/bigger place at the same location. The newest location is in Pa Daed, South of Aom Muang road. Those are the two locations. (Number 1 Bar/Bistro in Loy Kroh Soi 1, and Number 1 Beer Garden on the Pa Daed road.)

I wouldn't read too much into using the shack on one side for storage; the main place is already one of the biggest bars in the area.

rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

Drive by the other day and the Old original #1 Bar was completely gutted so looks like it has closed for good wonder if they will keep renting it to stop someone opening opposite them.

So these kinds of women as wives, or Loi Kroh women, are you guys only opposite sex options.... blink.png

...um...geez.

So these kinds of women as wives, or Loi Kroh women, are you guys only opposite sex options....

...um...geez.

Don't forget the same sex options and alternate sex options. Either way that's silly; there's ThaiLoveLinks.com et al too. And Facebook of course; the only credible rival to Loy Kroh to emerge in recent years.

(I also know many guys who are happily married with great women who they originally met somewhere on Loy Kroh. To the point actually where I'd say the success rate is by no means worse than relationships starting elsewhere.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Drive by the other day and the Old original #1 Bar was completely gutted so looks like it has closed for good wonder if they will keep renting it to stop someone opening opposite them.

I wonder if they rent it or own it? The main place across I believe they own.

Interesting by the way that they stopped with most of the imported draft beers; not enough takers I suppose.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I wonder if they rent it or own it? The main place across I believe they own.

Interesting by the way that they stopped with most of the imported draft beers; not enough takers I suppose.

I know they own the NEW one meaning the one across the street the old one I believe they were renting and still are but not 100% but for sure if they give it up it will quickly open as a bar although parking will be an issue

I know they own the NEW one meaning the one across the street the old one I believe they were renting and still are but not 100% but for sure if they give it up it will quickly open as a bar although parking will be an issue

Yes.. though parking is an issue for any bar on Loy Kroh. (Number One has limited parking next to the bar of course, but few other bars have that.) (Olde Bell may have an arrangement with the parking lot almost opposite, that's the only other one I can think of)

(I also know many guys who are happily married with great women who they originally met somewhere on Loy Kroh. To the point actually where I'd say the success rate is by no means worse than relationships starting elsewhere.)

Agreed.

I've only read about these kind of guys on Internet forums. I've never met anyone in all my travels here, or anywhere else in the world for that matter, who was married to a prostitute.

Agreed.

I've only read about these kind of guys on Internet forums. I've never met anyone in all my travels here, or anywhere else in the world for that matter, who was married to a prostitute.

There are those who don't announce this within the first 20 minutes of meeting someone. wink.png (Or even some time after.) Also relatively few stick a note on their wife's shirt stating "I USED TO BE A PROSTITUTE".

Many though will readily tell you when asked, however, it is a little uncouth (and newbie-ish) in Thai expat circles to ask 'where did you meet your wife'. Also I prefer to judge people for who they are today (good mothers, loving wives, or not), and not what they may have done for any period of time in the past.

most will say 'we met in a restaurant' which is sort of 'code' for bar - who cares if they are happy 'live and let live' but personally I don't really get it (that they could be with someone who has slept with tons of guys for cash - not saying it's wrong but... I wouldn't marry one or make a girlfriend of one)

Agreed.

Not that you know of. I know a number of men married to former BGs who might not realize it themselves. I have never brought the subject up. Edited by Ulysses G.

most will say 'we met in a restaurant' which is sort of 'code' for bar - who cares if they are happy 'live and let live' but personally I don't really get it (that they could be with someone who has slept with tons of guys for cash - not saying it's wrong but... I wouldn't marry one or make a girlfriend of one)

I'm not criticizing the guys at all. If they are happy, good for them. I've just not known anyone personally who would do such a thing. I would think one would have to have rather low self-esteem to do it.

I'm not criticizing the guys at all. If they are happy, good for them. I've just not known anyone personally who would do such a thing. I would think one would have to have rather low self-esteem to do it.

I gotta laugh at that cos most of the guys I know have high self esteem, it also amazes me that you dont know anyone LOL I know guys that think they are NOT married to X Bar girls LOL and sometimes have to bite my tongue when the spurt out the stuff you are saying about how his wife was not a bar girl yada yada when we in the know, know the truth. If he wants to think that, no problem it would probably destroy him if he knew she used to work on Loi Kroh 6 years ago LOL but again another nice girl that has proven to be a nice girl no matter what she did before to pull herself out the gutter.

Edited by DiamondKing

I gotta laugh at that cos most of the guys I know have high self esteem, it also amazes me that you dont know anyone LOL I know guys that think they are NOT married to X Bar girls LOL and sometimes have to bite my tongue when the spurt out the stuff you are saying about there wife when we in the know know the truth. If he wants to think that no problem it would probably destroy him if he knew she used to work on Loi Kroh 6 years ago LOL

It is amazing how naive some of the guys are about their partners.