Chiang Mai, Loi Kroh Road

Beetlejuice

This is Thailand, you don't have to pay for girls, because there are plenty of girls available for free!

I think you might have 'been gone too long'

Long enough to know that the posts in this thread that are defending the Loi Kroh beer bars and the bar girls are obviously posted by bar owners or by those types of gentlemen that frequent those types of establishments...

you don't have to pay to sleep with girls...

we no you just have to be jai dii and take them to the gold shop,after all thats a investment, not a payment.

This is Thailand, you don't have to pay for girls, because there are plenty of girls available for free!

I think you might have 'been gone too long'

Long enough to know that the posts in this thread that are defending the Loi Kroh beer bars and the bar girls are obviously posted by bar owners or by those types of gentlemen that frequent those types of establishments...

I don't (am not) defend the bar area, or bar girls, I just question the economical sense in removing an area which earns big bucks as it is. A few years ago they talked a lot about revamping the Night Bazaar with more culturally fitting stalls and surroundings - it went nowhere because it earns money, and tourists flock there, regardless. Much is passing trade never to return or (as in Loi Kroh) people out looking for booze, fun and, yes, some are looking for sex too (although I would suggest many just enjoy the flirting, mixed company and general atmosphere).

Cosmetically, I don't think Loi Kroh is that bad. The top end is all hotels anyway, the bottom end is neon lit bars. There are only two things I would have done really: drench the canal (Stinky Canal as we call it) and make Loi Kroh and the Night Bazaar pedestrian areas (no cars or bikes - which means changing Chiang Mai Rd to 2 way - and possibly Chang Moi. Hotels all have back roads to their car parks anyway.

By the way, suggesting that anyone that disagrees with you are bar owners or whore hounds makes you look foolish and lends no credence to your argument. "Only the Sith deals in absolutes", Yoda

Errr... This is an open forum, my posts reflect my opinion of the area and I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything...

Personally, I think the beer bar area is an eyesore. They should only remove the beer bars and put them in a more discreet area so they can carry on with their seedy business out of sight of the public.

and BTW, you don't have to pay for Thai girls, you can pick them up in shopping centres, markets, restaurants and coffee shops.

chok dee!

I think it is a good place to sit at the front of a bar, watch the lines of people walking to and fro along the street, looking at the pure shock on some of the men's faces when they get asked to have a massage. I have sat in a new bar just opened for 10 days now, I listen to the good music, the people that go there are great to share a joke with and chat, if I wanted to have sex there is ample places to go and near where I am now near Airport plaza there are lots of small bars with bar girls and karaoke places mainly attended by Thai men.

I don't (am not) defend the bar area, or bar girls, I just question the economical sense in removing an area which earns big bucks as it is. A few years ago they talked a lot about revamping the Night Bazaar with more culturally fitting stalls and surroundings - it went nowhere because it earns money, and tourists flock there, regardless. Much is passing trade never to return or (as in Loi Kroh) people out looking for booze, fun and, yes, some are looking for sex too (although I would suggest many just enjoy the flirting, mixed company and general atmosphere).

Cosmetically, I don't think Loi Kroh is that bad. The top end is all hotels anyway, the bottom end is neon lit bars. There are only two things I would have done really: drench the canal (Stinky Canal as we call it) and make Loi Kroh and the Night Bazaar pedestrian areas (no cars or bikes - which means changing Chiang Mai Rd to 2 way - and possibly Chang Moi. Hotels all have back roads to their car parks anyway.

By the way, suggesting that anyone that disagrees with you are bar owners or whore hounds makes you look foolish and lends no credence to your argument. "Only the Sith deals in absolutes", Yoda

Errr... This is an open forum, my posts reflect my opinion of the area and I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything...

Personally, I think the beer bar area is an eyesore. They should only remove the beer bars and put them in a more discreet area so they can carry on with their seedy business out of sight of the public.

and BTW, you don't have to pay for Thai girls, you can pick them up in shopping centres, markets, restaurants and coffee shops.

chok dee!

The sentence you highlighted "By the way, suggesting that anyone that disagrees with you are bar owners or whore hounds makes you look foolish and lends no credence to your argument." was in response to your statement "Long enough to know that the posts in this thread that are defending the Loi Kroh beer bars and the bar girls are obviously posted by bar owners or by those types of gentlemen that frequent those types of establishments..." and therefore is not an attempt to curb your opinion, it is fairly stright forward what I am saying.

Personally I don't pick up Thai girls from anywhere (or frequent or own any of these establishments) - being happily married for 15 years to a Thai lady just a few years my junior that was the niece of a long term friend (from school times) and business associate. Again your implication is that everyone other than you posting here is a whore hound.

The fact that many expats here are not, and are happily married with kids to ladies they did not meet on bar stools, does not mean that we think that others not so lucky (and there are many lonely people in this world that stand little chance through one reason or another of picking up a girl at the Tesco's checkout) and girls that can make a good living for their families (these girls are self employed and not pimped - the seedy ones that are hidden away in brothels out of sight, as you suggest is better, often are pimped and may also be too young, HiV and/or human trafficed from Burma/Cambodia/Laos) should be denied their freedoms either.

Loi Kroh is one short road (bars only first few hundred metres or so) - not a massive area. There are major roads all around that lead to both the moat at the bottom and Night Bazaar at the top. It is easy not to venture down there if not inclined. There are also restaurants, non-girlie bars (like Olde Bell), shops, stalls, hotels, banks and 7-11s down there too. The road itself is no more ugly than any of the surrounding roads (less so in my opinion due to the fact that the bars brighten the place up - just take a walk down Chang Moi to see what I mean!).

I would agree only that much of CM city could do with a paint job and repairing (and reclaiming) the pavements. Removal of over head power cables has been happening, but slowly and mostly just the Night Bazaar area. Problem is, they are privately owned buildings (many owned by some very powerful people I might add) and as the money is concentrated in that area anyway - and already bursting at the seems with respect to the influx of tourists during high season - it is unlikely that anything other than the status quo will continue (unless something drastic happens like fire - even the floods which put much of Loi Kroh and Night Bazaar under water for a couple of days did nothing to change the appearance afterwards - other than a quick road clean).

• Like 1

chok dee!

Are there any promotions on this week?

Edited by Beetlejuice

I also think the bars at the moat end of the street would benefit from being bulldozed and started over.

The bar areas are not attractive. They are sad, grubby little holes with girls who do not make the grade in Pattaya or Bangkok.

Personally, I don't know how anyone could spend any time in them or call them fun.

Turning the whole road into a walking street from 7pm each night and sprucing up the whole area with something Chiang Mai can be proud of would benefit the city tremendously.

I agree with the OP, the Loi Kroh beer bar area really spoils Chiang Mai.

I agree that the bar area of Loi Kroh in its current form is an eyesore.......it's all the same.

For variety, if the bars were interspersed between other establishments, it would be better and I think De Wallen or the Reeperbahn might be good models to follow. wink.png

Edited by uptheos

I also think the bars at the moat end of the street would benefit from being bulldozed and started over.

The bar areas are not attractive. They are sad, grubby little holes with girls who do not make the grade in Pattaya or Bangkok.

Personally, I don't know how anyone could spend any time in them or call them fun.

Turning the whole road into a walking street from 7pm each night and sprucing up the whole area with something Chiang Mai can be proud of would benefit the city tremendously.

From that point of view I would suggest the WHOLE city be bulldozed. It's all the same from one side to the other. Maybe the wealthy could turn it into a sanitary, sterile place like Singapore where only the very wealthy can live. Shove all the rest of us trash into the sewers that pass for rice paddies. I asked this question before and I'll ask it again... PLEASE SHOW ME WHERE IN CHIANG MAI THAT LOOKS ANY DIFFERENT? I've been up and down just about every road and soi in the city and don't see much difference. Other than a few high rise hotel and business locations in down town Bangkok, that city isn't any different. And, I suspect every other city in Thailand is the same. Certainly all the little villages I've been through in Thailand all look similar.

• Like 2

chok dee!

a lot of foreigners in Thailand lack the social skills to be able to do that, just like they were unable to have normal heterosexual in their home countries.

chok dee!

a lot of foreigners in Thailand lack the social skills to be able to do that, just like they were unable to have normal heterosexual in their home countries.

BGTL is correct, you can pick them up anywhere, but unlike Oscar I don't need any social skills, I can pay cash.

Your post is like a breath of fresh air.

This has been my point exactly.

I want to see the area completely restored and revamped, with perhaps more adult entertainments with a wider choice for those who have not yet got one foot in the grave and enjoy some social.

The clamp downs have allowed the area to fall into decay and it is time for a change in policy regarding the social scene in Chiang Mai.

Just bulldoze the beer bars and get rid of the bar girls that are lowering the tone of the area...

do this and it may become a place that normal people would actually want to go to and to return to...

My ex could probably do that. He was a handsome devil and the ladies flocked to him... including a woman I thought was a good friend. But, 90% of the farang men I see in Thailand would have a hard time picking up any Thai woman younger than 50 or 60 if they didn't work in a bar and didn't speak English.

And, just who are these "normal" people you speak of? And, just what is it that they want in this country? I'm tired of hypocrites.

• Like 1

A lot of the bars in LKR I am reliably informed are owned by the local tam ruat (police) so could I suggest the moralists have a word with the good old boys in blue about enforcing Thailands prostitution laws and ensuring that Thailands Buddhist state continues to adhere to the five precepts of the Buddha.

Just bulldoze the beer bars and get rid of the bar girls that are lowering the tone of the area...

do this and it may become a place that normal people would actually want to go to and to return to...

My ex could probably do that. He was a handsome devil and the ladies flocked to him... including a woman I thought was a good friend. But, 90% of the farang men I see in Thailand would have a hard time picking up any Thai woman younger than 50 or 60 if they didn't work in a bar and didn't speak English.

And, just who are these "normal" people you speak of? And, just what is it that they want in this country? I'm tired of hypocrites.

Its funny, maybe it because I don't hand around these places very often, but almost all the farang I know over here have wives and/or long term girlfreinds. Most are in their 40's (some in the 30's and some maybe early 50's). Apart from the fact they do not want to generally, none of them would have much problem picking up a girl (and certainlt not decades older than them). The steriotypical fat, balding oap picking up 19 year old "babes" certainly exist, but they are not the majority that I see. If you look in the gutter you will find worms.

So what you are saying is that you don't visit Loi Kroh road, other than passing through occasionally, and none of the people you associate with do either, and yet you seem to know a whole lot about the place. That sounds a bit sketchy. Hearsay and second hand BS is really easy to gather.

• Like 1

Its funny, maybe it because I don't hand around these places very often, but almost all the farang I know over here have wives and/or long term girlfreinds. Most are in their 40's (some in the 30's and some maybe early 50's). Apart from the fact they do not want to generally, none of them would have much problem picking up a girl (and certainlt not decades older than them). The steriotypical fat, balding oap picking up 19 year old "babes" certainly exist, but they are not the majority that I see. If you look in the gutter you will find worms.

So what you are saying is that you don't visit Loi Kroh road, other than passing through occasionally, and none of the people you associate with do either, and yet you seem to know a whole lot about the place. That sounds a bit sketchy. Hearsay and second hand BS is really easy to gather.

No, never said any of that. I have been here a fair while - I have spent a fair amount of time in Loi Kroh over the years - I do not frequent the place. I go when some of us get together and decide to go on a "beano", or when visitors come that are the right age group for the place, or when friends come, etc, etc, etc. I do not spend every night propping up a bar, I have a life instead. I agree that 2nd hand knowledge is BS, which is why I don't and never do (unless stating the fact) rely on, or quote from 2nd hand knowledge.

Indeed, the post you quoted from was not so much with regard to Loi Kroh as to your comment that "90% of farangs I see in Thailand would have a hard time picking up any Thai woman younger than 50 or 60 if they didn't work in a bar and didn't speak English"[sic] - it was a suggestion that if you look under rocks you find bugs, i.e. that you see what you want to see. When I do venture down Loi Kroh, I see mostly 30 and 40 year old males (some younger some older, but mostly like I said) having a laugh and drinking too much and playing poor quality pool in the bars - I guess to some blinkered views all these must be tourists and the other fat, bald, aged farang propping up the bar is the expat. I suggest that it ius just as likely to be the other way around.

Get as defensive as you like, but such generalised suggestive comments as I quoted will get replies from those of us that leave our blinkers at home.

Any way, its New Years eve, my imported whiskey bottle is waining and my post are likely to become less and less coherent, so I wish you Rene, and everyone else a great evening and new year.

• Like 1

Good point hml - on a wider point the police have a lot of business interests in Thailand (anybody remember Khun Thaksin by any chance) and this includes the areas of bars and massage parlours and the like. How do I know about LKR as I was sitting in one of the bars one night watching the world go buy and we were visited by one of the police who had some conversations with the cashier and then left. After he left I asked one of the girls what was that about and she replied he is the owner and he has a couple of other bars on the strip.

A lot of the bars in LKR I am reliably informed are owned by the local tam ruat (police) so

Name two.

Not for me to say on an open forum - but reliably informed as they say ....

Odd...I was in two different bars on LKR last night and talked to the owners of 3 different places, all falang...I must be misinformed. Not to mention, is it a crime in Thailand for a cop to own a business? It isn't anywhere else in the world. My dad was a cop and a business owner.

A lot of the bars in LKR I am reliably informed are owned by the local tam ruat (police) so

Name two.

Reliably informed by a member of the Green Berets sitting next to you in one of them I bet.

• Like 1

Name two.

My son is a policeman and works that area and you are talking rubbish.

Reliably informed by who? MI5 or the FBI perhaps.

If the police had any interests in that area, than the beerbars, restaurants and clubs would be flourishing without the clampdowns, tight controls and restrictions we see placed on those establishments today.

If you are going to make wild accusations on such matters, than either put up or shut up?

is this topic really worth 20 pages lol

like it or hate it the place is not goin to change any time soon nor does it really need to it provides some locals and tourist with

a beer a giggle and a naughty fiddle if you dont like it then dont go simple as that

and as for feeling scared walking around the area what kind of bubble did some of you live in before you came to thailand ?

walk around and british city at night after 8 pm then you will see real dangers and nasty types if you look at the city map of c/m that area

is about as long as a match im sure you can find a place more to your liking maybe a convent or bible study group

please close this tread its pointless

• Like 1