Australian Sentenced To 18 Years In Prison For Smuggling Drugs From Thailand

Buchholz

What does 1.7 kilos of ice stuffed into four plastic bags look like?

resizerq.jpg

Michael Sacatides in front of the methampetamines allegedly found in his luggage. (Nine News)

Sydney man faces ice charges in Bali upon arrival from Thailand

A 43-year-old Sydney man has been arrested in Bali after allegedly being found with 1.7kg of the drug ice in his luggage. Michael Sacatides was arrested after landing in Bali on an Air Asia flight from Bangkok, Thailand, with four plastic bags full of methamphetamine. "When passing through the X-ray officers became suspicious of a plastic bag in his luggage," customs official Bagus Endro Wibowo said.

Sacatides from the western Sydney suburb of Wentworthville, has reportedly been working in Thailand as a kick-boxing instructor. The Daily Telegraph has reported that Sacatides told police he was given the suitcase by an Indian man in Bangkok. Sacatides could face the death penalty if found guilty

Continues:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8097123/sydney-man-faces-ice-charges-in-bali

Nine News (Australia) - October 1, 2010

art_bali-200x0.jpg

Aussie 'shocked' at Bali jail term

Australian Michael Sacatides has reacted with shock after being hit with a heavier jail term than expected, with judges sentencing him to 18 years for smuggling almost two kilograms of methamphetamine into Bali. The kickboxing trainer from Sydney's west, found carrying 1.7 kilograms of methamphetamine in a hidden compartment in his suitcase when he arrived on a flight from Thailand last year, was convicted of drug trafficking in the Denpasar District Court today.

However, before Monday's appearance, Sacatides had been expecting a sentence of no more than 16 years, as requested by prosecutors earlier this month after they decided not to ask for the death penalty. The 43-year-old, who has always maintained his innocence, claiming he borrowed the suitcase from an associate in Thailand, appeared stunned when the judges read out their decision and instead announced a sentence of 18 years.

Crucially, it appears it was his decision to not plead guilty that weighed heavily against him, and cost him another two years in Bali's Kerobokan Prison. Defendants who do not admit guilt are often treated more harshly by courts in Indonesia. Sacatides was arrested at Bali's international airport on October 1 last year when customs officers found the methamphetamine, also known as ice, concealed in a hidden compartment in the suitcase he was carrying when he arrived on a flight from Bangkok.

Continues:

http://news.smh.com.au/world/aussie-shocked-at-bali-jail-term-20110425-1dtuc.html

AAP - April 25, 2011

awesome !

on the bright side , he'll have (lots of) time to work on that one reverse , muay thai movement

People who take please in others misfortune are sick human beings.

The drugs this bloke was attempting to distribute would have caused far more pain. No sympathy for his sentence from me.

awesome !

on the bright side , he'll have (lots of) time to work on that one reverse , muay thai movement

I do not think the response was done for pleasure just light humour, this guy knew the risk but for greed went ahead and took the risk, so he got caught big deal no sympathy here buddy, if you cant do the time dont do the crime.

Well lets just say, he made his bed, so should horizontally use it.

many posters already said they just dont give money to farang beggers, so instead of some farangs going begging they just get some nice Indian friends.

Dont knock the guy too hard, you dont have all his story, and I believe he thought long and hard before saying 'well lets get it over with'.

I do not think the response was done for pleasure just light humour, this guy knew the risk but for greed went ahead and took the risk, so he got caught big deal no sympathy here buddy, if you cant do the time dont do the crime.

and keep ur eye on the sparrow

awesome !

Hardly misfortune. Calculated risk is the correct term (and you can joke about that).

Seriously, if you mule drugs, you have no respect from me.

I only hope that I will never be tricked in to moving something for somebody (although I have done that, just hope it wasn't something illegal)

awesome !

Hardly misfortune. Calculated risk is the correct term (and you can joke about that).

Seriously, if you mule drugs, you have no respect from me.

I only hope that I will never be tricked in to moving something for somebody (although I have done that, just hope it wasn't something illegal)

The court certainly was tricked by his pleas of not knowing the drugs were in the suitcase that he claimed to have borrowed.

If you look at the photo in the OP it's beyond the pale to believe that he didn't notice all those plastic bags while he was packing his own things in it. I have heard a number of unbelievable claims from convicted criminals, but his ranks right near the top of the list.

LOL

the sunday smuggler springs to mind. also an australian, also caught with drugs, also claimed he's innocent and almost got killed in prison. he was a tough nut, though and his book "the sunday smuggler" is an amazing read.

18 years thats many marks on the wall... but at least he has the best profession to survive and keeping his skills updated...

499fc36eae84be97fa376b3da66c8335.png