Place To Watch British Royal Wedding

NancyL

OK, I know this event may not be top of mind for most of the TV readers and I'm going to open myself up for some off-topic judgmental comments, but I'll ask the question anyway:

Is there any place in town that's going to show live broadcast of the British royal wedding this Friday evening? I'm not all that interested in a tea-party atmosphere. For one thing, I don't own a fancy hat and for another, it will be Friday evening here -- time to enjoy a beer and watch the show. I know it will be all over the internet, but I'd like to watch it on a large screen in a party atmosphere. You know, the way that guys enjoy watching sporting events at bars. This is the female equivalent of a sporting event!

I imagine it'll be live on BBC Word News, so anywhere with UBC will have it on. The Old Bell? Red Lion? I'm hoping to enjoy a drink or two with our Australian friends, seeing as she's their head of state as well....

Actually, the only reason I want to watch the thing is so I CAN wear a fancy hat ;) Or maybe my Thai straw gardening hat, at least. It's got a nice wide brim, anyway. Nancy, let me know where you end up. I'm not sure I want to see the entire hoopla (how many hours does it go on, anyway?), but am interested in seeing some of such a significant event.

I think the wedding broadcast on Thai Channel 7 would be in Thai. I'd prefer to see an English-language version, in a party atmosphere. Fancy hats encouraged, but not required, so that I don't have to buy one but those that have them already can show them off. To make to interesting for the guys, maybe some wedding-themed drinking games could be devised. You know, like guess what color hat the Queen will wear, how long is the train of the gown, etc.

I just don't want to end up having to go someplace fancy and pay 500 baht for tea and crumpets. After all, it's Friday night!

We can ask Kevin at the Red Lion if we can have a corner of the bar...it's fairly large and has several TVs, so maybe he won't begrudge us a bit of space :)

Unless...any TV sponsors want to offer up a bar and a telly for Friday night? Throw your hat in, so to speak? ;) I think this could be rather fun. Drinking games, hat contests, heckling!!

We can ask Kevin at the Red Lion if we can have a corner of the bar...it's fairly large and has several TVs, so maybe he won't begrudge us a bit of space :)

Unless...any TV sponsors want to offer up a bar and a telly for Friday night? Throw your hat in, so to speak? ;) I think this could be rather fun. Drinking games, hat contests, heckling!!

Free drinks all round....tally ho.

I just found this little tidbit on the Red Lion website:

On Friday 29th April we will be showing the Royal Wedding Live from about 1pm onwards. Since Thailand is 5 hours ahead of the UK the wedding ceremony will begin at 5pm local time.

Which means I will still be at work, and will miss the ceremony. Ah, well. Will have to wear me hat another time...

On Friday 29th April we will be showing the Royal Wedding Live from about 1pm onwards. Since Thailand is 5 hours ahead of the UK the wedding ceremony will begin at 5pm local time.

Which means I will still be at work, and will miss the ceremony. Ah, well. Will have to wear me hat another time...

I think Thailand is 6 hours ahead.

Come to think of it, aren't we GMT + 7?? Oh, I see, BST. Yes, we are 6 hours ahead now. Now I see that the ceremony starts at 11 a.m. London time, not 1 p.m. as the Red Lion says. So they got the time correct in the end - it'll start at 5 p.m. local time.

I was finally inspired to just Google the darn thing. It has its own website and livestream, natch http://www.officialroyalwedding2011.org

Of course, the whole point of this thing for me was the pub gathering (and the HAT!), not actually watching the wedding so much ;) Being American, I haven't grown up with the royals and surrounding madness. I'm curious about the spectacle, though. I have dim memories of watching Diana walk down the aisle in 1981, too. (When did I get so old?)

At any rate, I think I'll make my way down to the Red Lion on Friday after work to scope out the scene.

Come to think of it, aren't we GMT + 7?? Oh, I see, BST. Yes, we are 6 hours ahead now. Now I see that the ceremony starts at 11 a.m. London time, not 1 p.m. as the Red Lion says. So they got the time correct in the end - it'll start at 5 p.m. local time.

I was finally inspired to just Google the darn thing. It has its own website and livestream, natch http://www.officialroyalwedding2011.org

Of course, the whole point of this thing for me was the pub gathering (and the HAT!), not actually watching the wedding so much ;) Being American, I haven't grown up with the royals and surrounding madness. I'm curious about the spectacle, though. I have dim memories of watching Diana walk down the aisle in 1981, too. (When did I get so old?)

At any rate, I think I'll make my way down to the Red Lion on Friday after work to scope out the scene.

I think it's more about 'the dress'.

They say no-one has seen it and no-one knows who is designing it.......ooh the tension builds.

I heard Kate designed her own wedding dress - well, a designer designed it, based on Kate's design - got all that? (OMG did I just type that out loud?) Okay, yesssss, I'm curious about the dress. Kate always looks lovely, though, so I'm sure it will be divine, whatever she chooses.

And given the fact that there are twelve users besides me reading this thread right now, I daresay some others are curious too ;)

Edited by SadieMBeagle

I heard Kate designed her own wedding dress. (OMG did I just type that out loud?) Okay, yesssss, I'm curious about the dress. Kate always looks lovely, though, so I'm sure it will be divine, whatever she chooses.

And given the fact that there are twelve users besides me reading this thread right now, I daresay some others are curious too ;)

Something simple, well fitted, V neck......what do you guess?

I concur, GMT +7 with BST now in operation means 6 hours. Not sure I understand the Red Lion though, 1 p.m. BST plus 6 hours would be 7 p.m. Or does it mean Red Lion coverage will start at 1 p.m.(Thai) and the ceremony starts around 5 p.m. Thai? Bit ambiguous.

Anyway, as the Queen mum used to say to her footmen, "will one of you Queens get this old Queen a gin tonic" :whistling: Oh how we love the Queen, ooooohhh can't wait :giggle: I've bough my new hat especially :P Fabulous.

Something...wedding-y ;) Ivory color. I am cheating, as I'm reading some details of it right now. I am, however, curious about the veil and train, if any. Will they be great long monstrosities like Di had? Or something modern. I predict modern, with a 'nod' toward tradition and Di's veil and train. You? :D

Something...wedding-y ;) Ivory color. I am cheating, as I'm reading some details of it right now. I am, however, curious about the veil and train, if any. Will they be great long monstrosities like Di had? Or something modern. I predict modern, with a 'nod' toward tradition and Di's veil and train. You? :D

More interested in the kiss. Will it be a full smacker, a kiss on the cheek or the royal hand?

Ladbrokes the bookmakers are actually taking bets on this and I believe the 'full smacker' is favourite.

More interested in the kiss. Will it be a full smacker, a kiss on the cheek or the royal hand?

Ladbrokes the bookmakers are actually taking bets on this and I believe the 'full smacker' is favourite.

I read somewhere that they won't actually kiss in the ceremony, because it's not allowed by the Church of England. That would be awesome if they scandalize the church with a full-on snog :D But I highly doubt it!

I read somewhere that they won't actually kiss in the ceremony, because it's not allowed by the Church of England. That would be awesome if they scandalize the church with a full-on snog :D But I highly doubt it!

Well, as he will one day be the head of the Church of England, I think he should go for it and set a precedent! thumbsup.gif

Hang on ! When I was daft enough to get married the Vicar said 'You may now kiss the Bride'. Always allowed in Church of England to my knowledge.

Kev's probaly working on scouser time :D

Edited by alfieconn

Hang on ! When I was daft enough to get married the Vicar said 'You may now kiss the Bride'. Always allowed in Church of England to my knowledge.

Hey, I dunno, I just remember reading that.

OK, I just Googled it, and they will not be kissing in The Ceremony because no kissing is allowed in Westminster Abbey. Sorry about that. I was close, though!

Here is the quote I first read, which is how I got confused:

Reverend Dr. John Hall, the dean of Westminster Abbey said very curtly: "There will be no kiss during the wedding ceremony. We don't do that in the Church of England. That's sort of a Hollywood thing: ' You may now kiss the bride.' It doesn't happen here."

Ooh, la la! Someone's got his knickers in a twist about this... :D

Edited by SadieMBeagle

You're correct, sort of. They have a special "kissing time" O_o

Instead, William and Kate have been allocated a special kissing time: 1:25pm atop the balcony of Buckingham Palace. The kiss has been carefully planned and scripted. Archbishop Rowan Williams said, "William and Catherine are making this commitment very much in the public eye, and they are sensible, realistic young people...They know what the cost of that might be. They have thought that through. And because of that they will need the support, the solidarity, and the prayers of all those who are watching. I wish them every richest blessing in their life together and the courage and clarity they will need to live out this big commitment in the full glare--to live it out for the rest of us."

This just gets more and more amusing...now I can't wait for Friday biggrin.gif

Aren't they already living together?

How does the good old C of E view that?

I think as long as the activity, whatever it may be, does not actually take place within the hallowed walls of Westminster Abbey, they can pretty much do what they want! And thank goodness for some modernity, IMO.

Aren't they already living together?

How does the good old C of E view that?

I think as long as the activity, whatever it may be, does not actually take place within the hallowed walls of Westminster Abbey, they can pretty much do what they want! And thank goodness for some modernity, IMO.

Yep, couldn't agree more - bring into the open what has been happening for years.

Could there ever be another Elizabeth I ?

Yep, couldn't agree more - bring into the open what has been happening for years.

Could there ever be another Elizabeth I ?

Eh...now you've reached the limits of my royal knowledge...I saw the movie, but that was quite some time ago. Wasn't she pretty modern for her time?

I imagine it'll be live on BBC Word News, so anywhere with UBC will have it on. The Old Bell? Red Lion? I'm hoping to enjoy a drink or two with our Australian friends, seeing as she's their head of state as well....

Naboo if you manage to find out where it is on can you message me so I can avoid it like the plague.

A proud(ish) Britain.