Night Bazzar

TheFishman1

Wow what a great place walking around stopped just to look at some fake high dollar pens the guy said 500 bht I say just looking he then comes back with O.K. 450 bht I say know thank you just looking he said O.K. now 380 Bht I say maybe later he comes back with O.K. now 350 what a great place they drop the price before you even start to ask WHAT YOUR BEST PRICE. After walking for like 2 hours can't beleive a foot massage for a hour like 5 U.S. what a great place to live My 1st night in CM I am sold on this place

IMPORTANT:

If you liked the Night Bazar, then you *absolutely, positively* need to visit the Thapae Gate / Ratchadamnoen Road Sunday Walking Street Market tonight.

Only once a week on Sundays. IMHO it's *WAY* better than the Night Bazar in every way. (Be it to actually purchase something, or to just stroll & observe)

IMPORTANT:

If you liked the Night Bazar, then you *absolutely, positively* need to visit the Thapae Gate / Ratchadamnoen Road Sunday Walking Street Market tonight.

Only once a week on Sundays. IMHO it's *WAY* better than the Night Bazar in every way. (Be it to actually purchase something, or to just stroll & observe)

In all the time I've been here I have yet to make a visit to the Sunday Walking Street Market because I have been worried about not being able to find a place to park my car within reasonable walking distance. I would really like to go there, can anyone suggest some good parking areas near there and what is the best time to arrive?

Barnacle Bob n Fishman, you have to go! As a longtime local I often don't go for several months at a time, just 'cause I don't always enjoy crowds. But there's so much cool stuff to see. I know I'll be there tonight as I need to pick up some new floor mats and I like the one guy who makes the strawberry n watermelon ones - more fun than your average floormats.

Parking gets to be a hassle as the city isn't built to handle the influx of so many people to one area by private cars. They set up as early as 4-5pm, and given ok weather, I might make my way in there that early. As the expanse of the walking street is so large now, you can pretty much find your way to any side of the inside moat - though you inevitably still have to be patient and deal with traffic and making your way there if it's 7p or later - and then park in a side street. Truly, from any one side of the old city you have to walk only 2-3 blocks and you're into the action. 5 mins walk in most cases. If you have kids or a tilak, it's fun to take them along too.

Glad the Fisherman1 likes our little piece of heaven. So many places to explore and enjoy in all of Thailand.

You've only just touched the tip of the iceberg.

I'm excited about being here all over again from fisherman's fresh perspective and comments.

We tend to take it all here for granted after a while.

Side note. Parking is always a hastle in congested areas, but you can usually pay the lot attendent 40 or 50 baht and park in most private lots of hotels, restaurants and businesses.

Edited by KimoMax

I've never been particularly fond of the night bazaar but, to echo what others have said, the Sunday walking street is great! Parking is much easier with a motorbike (I typically park near the 3 kings monument), with a car you'll likely spend a lot of time looking for a place. Several performances near 3 kings monument, tons of great food, and a lot of interesting shopping. :)

I'd recommend parking on the outside of the moat, near Thapae Gate.

The DK Book Center parking lot is a good bet; they may charge 20 baht or whatever. Or you can park along Ratchamankha Road. I never found it any kind of problem to park anywhere in Chiang Mai. (Possible exception being Airport Plaza's parking :bah: )

I'd recommend parking on the outside of the moat, near Thapae Gate.

The DK Book Center parking lot is a good bet; they may charge 20 baht or whatever. Or you can park along Ratchamankha Road. I never found it any kind of problem to park anywhere in Chiang Mai. (Possible exception being Airport Plaza's parking :bah: )

On ratchamankha road you have the anodard hotel and opposite a school where you can park your car.

IMPORTANT:

In all the time I've been here I have yet to make a visit to the Sunday Walking Street Market because I have been worried about not being able to find a place to park my car within reasonable walking distance. I would really like to go there, can anyone suggest some good parking areas near there and what is the best time to arrive?

You can park in DK Book Store parking lot until around 21:30 for 20 Baht. Very close.

Edit: ooops just noticed WTK beat me to it. <_<

Edited by elektrified

The night bazzar is a bit old hat to the locals but it's nice place to start. You usually get better deals in the Sunday Market near Thai Pei gate or the Saturday walking street near the Chiang Mai gate. The night markets are a bit of a pain if you are going anywhere in town for other purposes, though. I just park outside the center of the city and walk. It's never very far in any case. My hotel is only 2 km from the moat and I walk in all the time even though I have a scooter. If I'm walking I always see something I wouldn't see if I was riding or driving.

If you like the Night Bazaar, go to Warorot Market (the Thai's know it was "Kad Luang"). Also, there is the Saturday night market just by Chiang Mai gate. I find that I like that even MORE than the Sunday walking street.

Other good shopping can be had in Panthip Plaza, but only if electronics and bags excite you. (Well, hey, they excite me....)

IMPORTANT:

My advice is; park your car somewhere else and then take a taxi or a tuk tuk to the walking market.

Nearly a decade to this day I felt the same way... only gets better from here. Yet would recommend you come with OK cash in bank, or work over internet. etc. Doing biz or working in Thai is not so hot until u a long termer IMO.

Or you have an online biz, etc as many do here. Would not really recommend teaching full time as not good bucks unless u get into International school if have Masters, etc... needs some planning. When I went back to homeland a decade ago I cashed in my couple of houses and came back. Took sometime to get a good income and get to know the system well. Also learning the language and culture a must if doing business if you not retiring. Came here in mid 20s- best decision ever made. Life changing positive move. Yet was a very rocky road in first 2 years and several rocky relationships- now I think all is cool. Off\on for a decade- mostly on now...It is great but u will have serious culture shock IME

Cheers Jay

IMPORTANT:

there is no difference between the two they are exactly the same just more cheep rubbish ok to walk around for 20 mins but ud have to be mad to buy anything

if you want to go to a much better place better quality then go to bosang not the big brassy places the back street section far better

I am all in this coming Sunday will go to market.Today I when looking for a place really a lot of fun,not to say I did get turned around a few times but had a great day looking eating driving that little scooter Life is good in CM

So I am walking down this street and a Lady or I should say a girl ask me something I really could not make out what she said then I turn around and guess what NOW I KNOW WHAT THEY MEAN BY LADY BOY I never new I could walk away so fast.LOL well I just came in and won't have to take a shower tonight for I am soaking wet.Tuesday think I will explore a little north.Got to love this place