Accommodation & 24Hour Internet

chokdeea

I will be in Chang Rai on holiday from Australia for a week or two from 4 May. Looking for a hotel/guest house 300-650 Bt per night where I can access the internet in my room.

I am a regular visitor to Thailand and speak Thai/Lao. However, I have previously had problems with Lan Nah Thai.

Is there Wifi internet in CR? If so, how's the connection and how many baht?

A free coffee or beer for help.

There are many places to stay in that price range and as its out of season when you come , you can go to wherever you want. F you have been here before , go to where you last stayed and then hunt around , everyones taste is different . If you can speak the language , you're no amateur.

Thanks for the reply, sun. The last time I was in CR was briefly for 1-2 days circa 1994 on my way back to Vientiane after teaching English in Northern Lao for a month. There must have been more than a few changes since then. It will be interesting to see if I remember any of the city.

If it was Eesarn I wouldn't ask for advice as I can adequately communicate there. In the North, however, I've often had problems with the dialect.

Is wireless internet available for my laptop from TOT or any other company?

Thanks again for the reply.

Chokdee

Try Lek Guest House Chiang Rai. A/C or Fan rooms, free wi-fi in room, Pool, restaurant, cable TV in A/C rooms.

Ben Guest House. Newly remodeled. A/C and Fan rooms. Pool. Unknown about wi-fi in room or on grounds.

Pimanninn Hotel Chiang Rai. Nice hotel near old airport and Air Force Golf and driving range.

from about 500 a night, wi-fi in room, pool fitness restaurants, newer hotel.

If in need of a wireless card. think they are available for a price, and not very fast. can e-mail, but slow as 56K.

Friend got one on 2nd floor of Big C.

Edited by KimoMax

Try Lek Guest House Chiang Rai. A/C or Fan rooms, free wi-fi in room, Pool, restaurant, cable TV in A/C rooms.

Ben Guest House. Newly remodeled. A/C and Fan rooms. Pool. Unknown about wi-fi in room or on grounds.

Pimanninn Hotel Chiang Rai. Nice hotel near old airport and Air Force Golf and driving range.

from about 500 a night, wi-fi in room, pool fitness restaurants, newer hotel.

Hi KimoMax

Thanks for the adivice. Just a thought: I have stayed at a couple of places in BKK that advertised in-room wifi but couldn't come up with goods. The ancient Atlanta Hotel soi1 Sukhumvit was one.

I don't like spending hours in the lobby.

Have you stayed at the LEK? I think I'll email them to check if I can.

Thanks again

Chokdee

Lek does have wi-fi that is usually available in their rooms. The owners are an Expat that works in the oil industry and his Thai wife. Nice lot they are.

Think one of their staff will even pick you up at the airport if you ask them.

Jansom House, very nearby JEDYOD RD.. Room with A/C up from 350 Bath as its off-season now.

http://jansomhouse.blogspot.com/

I stayed there until some days ago, Internet WiFi worked well on the room. Its clean and just a few meters from whatever you need to eat/buy.

GPRS is available via GSM like everywhere (AIS=12call) and very cheap, however, it is very very slow (max. 384kbit = 38kb/s, but don't be surprised to get only 40kbit=4kb/s). I liked the WiFi of Jansom much more.

coffee or beer? Well, need to go back there then, hehe

Edited by rakCR

Jansom House, very nearby JEDYOD RD.. Room with A/C up from 350 Bath as its off-season now.

http://jansomhouse.blogspot.com/

I stayed there until some days ago, Internet WiFi worked well on the room. Its clean and just a few meters from whatever you need to eat/buy.

GPRS is available via GSM like everywhere (AIS=12call) and very cheap, however, it is very very slow (max. 384kbit = 38kb/s, but don't be surprised to get only 40kbit=4kb/s). I liked the WiFi of Jansom much more.

coffee or beer? Well, need to go back there then, hehe

Hi CR.

Thanks for the info'. That's definite worth a drink or 2.

Is the WIfi 24 hour at Jansom? Do you know the Lek Guesthouse?

Chokdee

Is the WIfi 24 hour at Jansom? Do you know the Lek Guesthouse?

Well, WiFi seems to be always on as I used it successful at odd times like 1am, 3am, 6am. However, I did not verify if its really 24 hours.

I have a flyer of Lek Guesthouse with me and wanted to have a look there somewhen. However, I never made it there yet without reason. On the Flyer, it looks nice and hostile, too.

Very unfair to referance a place as nice and hostile, especially when the poster has never been to that particular guesthouse.

I have no personal interest in either place, but am very farmiliar with both, and have stayed at both recently.

Both Jansom and Lek have their advantages and disadvantages. Both are in the same price ranges.

Jansom is close to Jed Yod Rd and has a lot of tours, backpackers, and thai's that stay there and the rooms are used almost daily.

It is decent for what it is, and convenient to walk downtown. Has wi-fi and TV in room. No real lounge area other than a small lobby office area. Nicer than most inexpensive guesthouses that are run down and old.

The furniture is inexpensive metal bed frames, mattresses, and cabinets. With heavy use, these furnishings will not be in good shape for long.

Lek is about a 10 minute walk from the new clock tower. Convenient to get to all of Chiang Rai and surrounding areas.

Recently remodeled with nice furnishings and beds. A more upscale modern style.

Quiet atmospere far back from streets. Saline salt water black bottom Swimming pool with swim up bar and restaurant area. Very nice.

In room local cable TV with a few English language sports, news, and movie channels.

True UBC Big Screen TV's in Lobby and pool area for all international programming.

Wi-Fi on premisis and in room 24 hours.

For comfort, I find the Lek house is a much better place, but Jansom serves it purpose and is OK.

• 2 weeks later...