Cared For Items

electrozebra

The Thai made bear I bought on a day out has received a battering along the way with frustration vented upon the poor inanimate creature. The rice boiler mentioned in another topic was scratched during a good scouring making the rice stick to the bowl each time of use. Various other items have received their fair share of abuse along the way too, all of which are Thai items.

On the other hand the non-stick frying pan brought over from the UK has been cherished and lovingly cleaned every day. The small cuddly bear with a Union Jack flag takes pride of place in the bedroom and nobody is allowed to manhandle it. The clothes and lingerie brought over from the UK are washed by hand. The odd bottles of perfume from the UK are kept in their original boxes and proudly displayed to any and everyone. Lo and behold any sticky figers that try to sneak a squirt of said perfume !!

All these items have great value attached to them though many may not have cost much to purchase in the UK and all are put on show and shown with great pride.

Yes, it seems to boil down to oneupmanship and great pleasure taken when some eyes turn green with envy.

Any of you found the same thing along the way with products / presents you have brought over from your own country for the wife, girlfriend or family?

How weird! Everybody has items they cherish for various reasons related to their past experience, but I don't think whether the item is Thai or not is relevant. I have three small Buddha statues which commemorate my first visits to Mae Sai, Doi Suthep and Sri Satchanalai; on the other hand, (I have mentioned it on this forum before) a book printed in 1513 which I bought when I was up at Cambridge... and a cherished cookbook which was the first gift I gave, in Hong Kong, to my first life partner (now, alas, passed away). Indeed, my cherished items tend to be books!

I think that the OP is referring to his wife/GF's behavior.

The OP has not stated whether he is talking about himself cherishing items he brought over with him from UK, or the Thais he has contact with cherishing them. My guess is the latter.

Because I know that, in some Thai circles, anything that carries evidence of being from "Angkrit" means big face for the Thai owner. Even something as small and (to a Unkian) insignificant as a disposable lighter with a Union Jack on it...as long as it COMES from UK (or some other farang location come to that)

Penkoprod

I think that the OP is referring to his wife/GF's behavior.

The OP has not stated whether he is talking about himself cherishing items he brought over with him from UK, or the Thais he has contact with cherishing them. My guess is the latter.

Because I know that, in some Thai circles, anything that carries evidence of being from "Angkrit" means big face for the Thai owner. Even something as small and (to a Unkian) insignificant as a disposable lighter with a Union Jack on it...as long as it COMES from UK (or some other farang location come to that)

Penkoprod

Apologies for not making it clear in the first instance.

Yes, this is about Thai people cherishing items brought for them from abroad having more Kudos and being taken greater care of by the Thai people themselves. Hence also the 'showing off' of items brought from abroad.

I served 20 years in the US Navy and have things from various countries from around the world. The one thing I suppose gets the greatest care is the kerosene lantern with the Pennsylvania RR stamp on the top that was issued to my grandfather when worked on the B&O RR.