Overstay Due To Giving Birth

I am due to give birth around the time my non-B visa - expires-within the next 5 to 6 weeks.

The doctor has said that travelling around this time is not advisable.

My question is; if the hospital provides a letter detailing my inability to travel can I overstay and not have to pay the overstay fine?

I am not interested in your 'general opinions', please only reply to this post if you have definitive answers regarding sickness/illness resulting in visa overstay.

Thank you in advance.

Melody

Edited by MelodyScudds

If you overstay you will be charged overstay. But you can obtain up to 90 days extension of stay for medical reasons so that is the paperwork you need from Hospital and take to Immigration to extend your stay (you may have to visit Immigration doctor) before you get into the overstay position.

But above is general as have no personal experience.

If you overstay you will be charged overstay. But you can obtain up to 90 days extension of stay for medical reasons so that is the paperwork you need from Hospital and take to Immigration to extend your stay (you may have to visit Immigration doctor) before you get into the overstay position.

But above is general as have no personal experience.

Thank you.

I take it then that no matter what the reason for overstay, legitimate or not. proved or not, an overstay fine has to be paid?

This is the rule that deals with extensions on medical grounds.

2.25 In the case of medical

treatment or convalescence or to look after a patient:

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 90 days at a time.

(1) Confirmation and request has been made by a physician

responsible for the treatment. The Physician must describe the details of treatment and advised that the illness is a barrier for travelling.

(2) In the case of looking after a patient, confirmation and request has been made by the physician responsible for the treatment or by an embassy or consulate.

(3) Patient Carer, except parents, spouse, children, adopted children or children of spouse, shall be granted no more than 1 extra person.

Some of the bigger hospitals have people that can deal with this for you.

Unless exempted at highest levels. Some were forgiven during the recent extreme weather in South Thailand but have not seen reports as a personal option.

They did charge overstay even because of the airport closure in 2008

Unless exempted at highest levels. Some were forgiven during the recent extreme weather in South Thailand but have not seen reports as a personal option.

They did charge overstay even because of the airport closure in 2008

They made overstay exemptions during last years volcanic problems jap.gif

No - but get letter from doctor with a date when you can travel (can be repeated if necessary) and pay 1900 baht for extension at immigration jap.gif

Thank you

If you overstay you will pay the fine, however, if you get an extension prior to being on overstay (at a cost of 1900 baht) you will not have to overstay at all. Personal experience on my part is that a Dr.'s form (immigration in CNX has a specific letter) will be accepted. The Dr may allow for a reasonable amount of time for the diagnosis. The extension is NOT a one time extension and in the extreme could theoretically be used indefinitely but would require the payment each time and would very likely be subjected to clinical review by immigration.

Get a medical certificate from the hospital which clearly states that you can not travel and with the date that you have to return for check-up ( or give birth )

If you have a partner which have to take care of you this has to be mentioned on the medical certificate

Go with this letter to the immigration ( before the visa expire date ) and you ( and your partner ) will get a extension till the date mentioned in the certificate ( 1900 baht ) if a new extension is required you can repeat this process untill you can travel again.

Have just been through this procedure for the second time and will have to get a third extension before I can travel. At Chiang mai immigration you must first get a form from them and then take it to your doctor, they only give me 60 days at a time. Last time there two men suggested a present would facilitate the next extension. Don't forget a photo. They told me that I did not have to attend personally but could just send the wife in to do it on my behalf.

I imagine it'll be a fairly straightforward process seeing as you'll be showing up at Thai Immigrations "VERY" pregnant! :whistling: I'd ask your doctor if he'll just put in 90 days as the amount of time you're requesting; as that's the max you can get for each extension based on inability to travel due to medical conditions. It’s totally up to the Immigrations officer how long they’ll give you an extension for, but you’re out nothing by tryin for the maximum time allowed.

You DO hafta do this BEFORE you start overstaying. You can't just show up at Immigrations after the fact with the letter and think you're gonna skate without paying for overstaying, as that plan of action doesn't seem to work out all that well. :(

While at Changwattana the other day accompanying an acquaintance who was sorting out an overstay (for other reasons); The person immediately ahead of us in the queue was trying to get out of paying their overstay fines by providing a letter from the doctor and hospital stating they were unable to travel out of the country due to medical reasons when their visa expired. They argued quite unsuccessfully that was the reason they were on overstay. The Immigrations Officer countered right back with; IF you knew you were going to be unable to travel BEFORE you went into the hospital, why didn't you come here FIRST and get and extension of stay??" :o The person ended up paying for a 20 day overstay, but they sure didn’t seem all that happy when they left. :ermm:

A coupla months ago I accompanied an 'acquaintance' who was here getting some EXTREME dental work done at a well known hospital in Bangkok (and a face lift too :blink: !). They received a 90 day extension of stay based on their "inability to travel" during their procedures without a hiccup or hitch in the process. B)

I doubt you'd hafta see the doc at the Immigrations Office; as the officer handling your extension certainly can’t help but notice you're about to 'pop'. :)

It's true MOST hospitals (especially well known ones which cater to foreigners) have a liaison office which deals with Thai Immigrations for situations like this on a daily basis. Some hospitals do such a high volume of this type of extension that Thai Immigrations sends an officer to the hospital to deal with it!

Good luck,

(Sorry for the long post, hope it helped some. ..) :)

Edited by tod-daniels