Cambodia Appeals To World Court Over Preah Vihear Temple

webfact

Oh, go on then - don't be a tease.

Better not, but if mrparanoid is undeterred, he should include details on some of the stuff the Cambodians did as well. Just to create a balanced view :ermm:

What did the Cambodians do ?

You mean apart from killing about 20 - 25% of their own population in the 1975 - 1979 time frame ?

I think more appropriately the issue at the time was a MASSIVE influx of refugees that the rest of the world ignored. How was Thailand to deal with this influx of people, some of which may have been agents of the Vietnamese, in any way other than high security refugee camps (beyond the Thai ability alone at the time?

No, the Thai people are not blameless .... and YES the Vietnamese deserve credit for going in, stopping the KR, and leaving ....

What did the Cambodians do ?

You mean apart from killing about 20 - 25% of their own population in the 1975 - 1979 time frame ?

Not relevant. That was genocide by KR against a section of it's own people. The above part of this thread is about what Thais did to others. Somebody suggested a balance by quoting what the the Cambodians did to 'others' - I am waiting to learn about that.

Not relevant in some ways .....

However, what should ANY country do when a massive "invasion" of refugees hits their border? Particularly at a time when those refugees were (apparently) driven to your borders by the "enemy" of your closest major ally?

The international community failed to act to save Cambodia from the KR. They failed to act for years following all over the globe. Finally, in the Baltics they started acting but that was far too late for the Khmer refugees flooding into Thailand.

Honestly, I abhor what happened at the time in question. The practical question remains to be answered, What could a 3rd world (this is before the collapse of the USSR) do differently without enough external support?

However, what should ANY country do when a massive "invasion" of refugees hits their border? Particularly at a time when those refugees were (apparently) driven to your borders by the "enemy" of your closest major ally?

The international community failed to act to save Cambodia from the KR. They failed to act for years following all over the globe. Finally, in the Baltics they started acting but that was far too late for the Khmer refugees flooding into Thailand.

Honestly, I abhor what happened at the time in question. The practical question remains to be answered, What could a 3rd world (this is before the collapse of the USSR) do differently without enough external support?

I can see how the international community is as much/more to blame than the Thais in the handling of those refugees.

Strange now, that the Thais oppose any third party involvement in their affairs.

I can see how the international community is as much/more to blame than the Thais in the handling of those refugees.

Strange now, that the Thais oppose any third party involvement in their affairs.

Why is it strange? The international community has failed them in the past and they are reasonably apprehensive about Cambodia's ties with Thaksin. If you were personally in charge of Thailand's dispute with Cambodia would you completely trust others to be free of any bias?

edit

remember in 2009 Thailand recalled the ambassador to Cambodia over Cambodia's appointment of Thaksin as an advisor.

Edited by jdinasia

What did the Cambodians do ? ( from )
You mean apart from killing about 20 - 25% of their own population in the 1975 - 1979 time frame ? ( )

Not relevant. That was genocide by KR against a section of it's own people. The above part of this thread is about what Thais did to others. Somebody suggested a balance by quoting what the the Cambodians did to 'others' - I am waiting to learn about that.

Not relevant. The posts got off topic when well known Khmer supporter Oberkommando mentioned 'Preah Vihear Massacre of Cambodian civilians by the Thai Army'. That prompted a few replies including mine and mrparanoids 'The Thais do have a long history of violent and heartless massacres of unarmed civilians, protesters and refugees.. as it's off topic in this thread I will not post details (unless anyone specifically asks for it).'

So let's return to the OP.

The OP is "Cambodia appeals to World Court over border temple" with regard to the request "for the interpretation of the Court's judgment... concerning the temple of Preah Vihear" was prompted by "Thailand's repeated armed aggression to exert its claims to Cambodian territory", the foreign ministry said."

(edit: the two quoted texts had no reference anymore, I added the link for each)