Gevey Iphone 4 Sim Unlock

donx

I'm getting ready for a trip back to Thailand this summer and my wife and I have iPhone 4's that are locked. I have been researching how to unlock the phones so that we can use them on our trip and I recently discovered a product called the Gevey iPhone 4 Sim Unlock. I've decided to try it here in the US and if it works here I plan on using it in Thailand. I have read reports that it works on AIS and I have seen a YouTube video of someone using it on TRUE although it didn't appear to support 3G.

If anyone has had any experience with this product I would be interested in hearing from you.

Am using here in Pattaya and works no problem with the networks I have tried it with True and AIS 12 call

Thank you for your post. That is good news. Do you access data (3G or Edge) using it or are you only using it for making phone calls?

I can live with only using it for phone calls and using wifi where available for data, but having 3G or Edge data access would be a plus.

I also forgot to ask if you used micro SIM cards or if you used normal SIM cards and cut them to fit into your iPhone. I have a SIM cutting tool, but I would assume that buying micro SIM cards would be better and less likely to cause problems.

Thank you again for your response.

I also forgot to ask if you used micro SIM cards or if you used normal SIM cards and cut them to fit into your iPhone. I have a SIM cutting tool, but I would assume that buying micro SIM cards would be better and less likely to cause problems.

Thank you again for your response.

We use micro sims but I originally cut my old sim to fit as I was too lazy to go get the free replacement lol.

Oh, what is your firmware and modem number (baseband), you might be able to unlock it at home following relatively simple directions, just depends on those 2 things I mentioned.

My iPhone 4 has iOS 4.2.1 and baseband 3.10.01. This is the reason I am looking at using the Gevey iPhone 4 Sim Unlock. It is my understanding that there isn't a software unlock available for this combination at the current time.

I did receive the Gevey and I cut an old AIS SIM card to see how well it would work. Since I'm in the US, I don't know if it worked because there isn't AIS service here, so it simply said "No Service" after I performed all the steps in the instructions. It did say something like APN as my network IIRC. I'm getting a T-Mobile SIM from eBay to see if it shows service available with the Gevey. I hope it all works.

I did notice that I had to cut an additional notch from the SIM card because the Gevey has a thicker piece of black plastic that sits on the edge of where the SIM card is supposed to settle in. The SIM card that I clipped from a regular sized SIM had extract border for me to cut, but looking at my AT&T micro SIM, there doesn't appear to be any extra border that can be cut.

Was it hard to get the micro SiM to fit properly in your Gevey drawer?

You should also ensure that 112 does not redirect to an emergency number in Thailand or you could find yourself with some potentially serious legal issues.

Fortunately for me 112 is not an emergency number in either Thailand or the US.

See This Link for more information about worldwide emergency numbers.

From your own source:

" United States of America 911 Various services available through regional or national N11 codes (e.g.: 311 non-emergency police) in certain areas. Also 112 is being redirected to 911 on GSM mobile phones.[15]"

and

"Mobile phones can be used in countries with different emergency numbers. A traveller visiting a foreign country does not have to know the local emergency numbers, however. The mobile phone and the SIM card have a preprogrammed list of emergency numbers. When the user tries to set up a call using an emergency number known by a GSM or 3G phone, the special emergency call setup takes place. The actual number is not even transmitted into the network, but the network redirects the emergency call to the local emergency desk. Most GSM mobile phones can dial emergency calls even when the phone keyboard is locked, the phone is without a SIM card, or an emergency number is entered instead of the PIN.

Most GSM mobile phones have 112, 999 and 911 as pre-programmed emergency numbers that are always available.[5] The SIM card issued by the operator can contain additional country-specific emergency numbers that can be used even when roaming abroad. The GSM network can also update the list of well-known emergency numbers when the phone registers to it."

This thing is, at best, highly dubious from a legal point of view.

From your own source:

" United States of America 911 Various services available through regional or national N11 codes (e.g.: 311 non-emergency police) in certain areas. Also 112 is being redirected to 911 on GSM mobile phones.[15]"

and

"Mobile phones can be used in countries with different emergency numbers. A traveller visiting a foreign country does not have to know the local emergency numbers, however. The mobile phone and the SIM card have a preprogrammed list of emergency numbers. When the user tries to set up a call using an emergency number known by a GSM or 3G phone, the special emergency call setup takes place. The actual number is not even transmitted into the network, but the network redirects the emergency call to the local emergency desk. Most GSM mobile phones can dial emergency calls even when the phone keyboard is locked, the phone is without a SIM card, or an emergency number is entered instead of the PIN.

Most GSM mobile phones have 112, 999 and 911 as pre-programmed emergency numbers that are always available.[5] The SIM card issued by the operator can contain additional country-specific emergency numbers that can be used even when roaming abroad. The GSM network can also update the list of well-known emergency numbers when the phone registers to it."

This thing is, at best, highly dubious from a legal point of view.

Fair enough. In the procedure I follow, although I dial 112, the call never connects. I disconnect as soon as the End Call button is active. Therefore I don't have any moral issue with performing this procedure.

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to update this thread with my experience using the Gevey iPhone 4 sim unlock in Thailand.

I spent 4 weeks in Thailand returning last Sunday. My wife and I used the sim unlock with AIS micro sim cards. I was told by the store that AIS didn't have a 3G option so we simply disabled data roaming and used WiFi when it was available. The Gevey sim unlock worked very well. I did have to perform the initialization steps if we completely turned off the phones by holding the power button down for 4 seconds and sliding the white arrow on a red background to power it off. We only powered off our phones completely once or twice during our entire stay. I'm glad that we didn't need to re-initialize the phones after putting them into airplane mode and back.

If anyone from the US has a locked iPhone 4 and wants to get a local sim card, I highly recommend using the Gevey sim unlock.The ones I bought were labeled Pro and were bought from applenberry.com. I looked again at their website and now they are selling one called Gevey Ultra. There are others selling the Gevey product and I bought two from another source before buying the Gevey Pros. I tested one of them in the US with a T-Mobile sim card and it appeared to work but since the sim card wasn't activated I couldn't make a call. I didn't try these in Thailand because the Gevey Pro from applenberry.com worked without any problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Just moved to Bangkok a week ago and got the Gevey sim at MBK to unlock my US (AT&T) locked iPhone 4.

It took the person at MBK several tries to get it to work. I suggest getting a pre-pay sim card from the start, then switch it to a post-pay later if you want. But after a couple of hours at MBK, I had an iPhone 4 that was able to make/receive calls as well as access EDGE & 3G data network.

A couple of days later, while I still had a True signal and could make phone calls, I had lost the data network and had no EDGE or 3G. I did a reboot and went through the initialization steps for the Gevey sim and everything was back to working order. Again, yesterday, I lost the EDGE/3G access and had to reboot once again.

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I did some online research and want to know if entering the APN for True will eliminate this problem. Or, is there an easier way to get back the data signal without going through all the Gevey steps, since I never lose the phone signal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

can this be used over again with different sim cards, i had one put in last week but was told i can only use this sim card, but looking at previous posts it looks like it`s re-usable as long as you go through the activation proccess, thanks paul

Just moved to Bangkok a week ago and got the Gevey sim at MBK to unlock my US (AT&T) locked iPhone 4.

It took the person at MBK several tries to get it to work. I suggest getting a pre-pay sim card from the start, then switch it to a post-pay later if you want. But after a couple of hours at MBK, I had an iPhone 4 that was able to make/receive calls as well as access EDGE & 3G data network.

A couple of days later, while I still had a True signal and could make phone calls, I had lost the data network and had no EDGE or 3G. I did a reboot and went through the initialization steps for the Gevey sim and everything was back to working order. Again, yesterday, I lost the EDGE/3G access and had to reboot once again.

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I did some online research and want to know if entering the APN for True will eliminate this problem. Or, is there an easier way to get back the data signal without going through all the Gevey steps, since I never lose the phone signal.

Using a gevey SIM on D-Tac, my friend had the same issues with their iPhone 4 so much so that they just got another unlocked phone from Thailand instead (original was from the US). It was so frustrating watching the phone constantly loose signal in some way and then it took ages to reinitialise the gevey SIM following the steps given which meant the phone was useless and, as said, I took it to a shop and even they had issues with it.

I had an unlocked ATT iPhone4. Messed it up some how, then went for the Gevy Sim. I used one for a bit. It worked. Then I got fed up and just bought a local unlocked iPhone 4. So glad I did. There's a lot of value in "not messing around".

By the way, before you do any of this call your carrier and see if they'll just unlock it for you. I think I've heard ATT will actually unlock your iPhone if you ask. Not sure if they charge money or not.