Top Floor Apartment Too Hot?

Hello everyone!

This might be silly question but I'm asking anyway...

I have found one interesting condo unit which is located on the top floor of a high-rise and it's also a corner room. Someone said to me that it's notably hotter inside the top floor apartment compared to the units below it.

There is no swimming pool, facilities or anything else worth mentioning about in the rooftop.

I would be happy if someone could tell me the facts and correct if this "rumour" is not true.

I live in a top floor condo and i designed the interior from a shell.

I purposely had the ceiling fitted as high as possible at 2.9mts to the floor

and insulated it with heat reflecting material.

Now by doing both the above helps with the heat coming through the concrete roof structure.

The only time of year that it's noticeable is April & May when we have hot long sunny days.

The rest of the year is of no concern.

If the one your buying has a low ceiling then it could be worse,but you should be able to tell

by going there while we have the really hot weather.

Depends on whether the concrete roof has been insulated and the directions of both sides of your unit (N,S,E or W).

The corner is pointing north so the sides are E/W. Living room (with floor to ceiling glass doors/windows) and the balcony are located on the westside so most of the sunlight is coming from northwest. East side of the unit are the bedrooms with normal size windows.

Edited by jolo

Depends on whether the concrete roof has been insulated and the directions of both sides of your unit (N,S,E or W).

The corner is pointing north so the sides are E/W. Living room (with floor to ceiling glass doors/windows) and the balcony are located on the westside so most of the sunlight is coming from northwest. East side of the unit are the bedrooms with normal size windows.

Your unit is catching both morning and evening sun, with the living room trapping the afternoon heat from its facing and glass. Most economical way to reduce heat through the glass is to place blackouts over the outer surface of the curtains, and to open up the windows and doors of the bedrooms and the sliding doors of the living room to allow airflow from the south east to north west during early evenings.

To checkout if the concrete roof is insulated, check the temperature of the false ceiling and see if it feels hot at around 3pm. the peak temperature from the afternoon sun.

Your unit is catching both morning and evening sun, with the living room trapping the afternoon heat from its facing and glass. Most economical way to reduce heat through the glass is to place blackouts over the outer surface of the curtains, and to open up the windows and doors of the bedrooms and the sliding doors of the living room to allow airflow from the south east to north west during early evenings.

To checkout if the concrete roof is insulated, check the temperature of the false ceiling and see if it feels hot at around 3pm. the peak temperature from the afternoon sun.

Thanks a lot for the very helpful and practical tips! It's a good idea to keep the doors/windows open and take the advantage of the more windy weather in the higher floor. Especially when using a fan instead of an aircon, this is a good way to reduce CO2 from the indoor air and keep it fresh.

Btw the sides are actually northeast and northwest (to correct myself).

• 2 weeks later...

As a Condominium developer here in Chiang Mai, everyone here seems to have a part of the equation.

a.) When was it built ?

b.) Type of roofing and air space if any ?

c.) Direction unit is facing

d.) insulation if any

e.) window area and type of glass used

f.) location of building

Also please note as an investment, higher floors demand higher rents and resales values