New Skirmishes On Thai-Cambodian Border

webfact

The temples are NOT Sanskrit/ Khmer. Sanskrit is an ancient language, Khmer identifies a race of people. It is also used as a "generic" term to label some Cambodian languages , spoken in Thailand, by Thais, particularly in Southern Si Sa Ket,Surin and Buriram Provinces.The temples are 100% Hindu, worshipping the pantheon of Hindu gods. An excellent example of this is Phanom Rung. Anybody who has no knowledge or understanding of Hinduism in Southern isarn or Cambodia, will find a visit to Phanom Rung , most illuminating.( In Buriram Province, South East of Nang Rong, and nowhere near the fighting)-so safe to visit anytime. If one cannot get to Ankor Wat.

Edited by afarang

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Border Situation Eases

The Region 2 Army has revealed that the situation along the Thai-Cambodian border has improved with Cambodian forces retreating back from the Ta Moan Thom and Ta Kwai temples in Surin province. The development occurred yesterday when Cambodian commanders contacted their Thai counterparts, asking to retrieve their dead and wounded out of the battle zone. They then retreated back onto Cambodian territory.

However, minor clashes were still heard in nearby areas, but Thai officials say they are not worried and will be deliberating today if locals will soon be allowed back into their homes.

-- Tan Network 2011-05-02

Possibly the six words in bold could give you anti Thai types some idea of who is doing the attacking and advancing into another country.

The temples are NOT Sanskrit/ Khmer. Sanskrit is an ancient language, Khmer identifies a race of people. It is also used as a "generic" term to label some Cambodian languages , spoken in Thailand, by Thais, particularly in Southern Si Sa Ket,Surin and Buriram Provinces.The temples are 100% Hindu, worshipping the pantheon of Hindu gods. An excellent example of this is Phanom Rung. Anybody who has no knowledge or understanding of Hinduism in Southern isarn or Cambodia, will find a visit to Phanom Rung , most illuminating.( In Buriram Province, South East of Nang Rong, and nowhere near the fighting)-so safe to visit anytime. If one cannot get to Ankor Wat.

Phanom Rung is, of course, nearer the fighting than Angkor Wat.

Phanom Rung is well worth visit - particular as a taster for Angkor Wat which you should put on your 'must do' list.

Ah, C. H. It certainly is ,by some distance.55555555. However, Phanom Rung is quite deep inside Thailand , is not disputed by Cambodia, and is therefore 100% safe to visit ,at any time. It is a long way from any of the last skirmish, which was centred on Surin (mainly) and Si Sa Ket Provinces, Not Buriram .By the way, those who cycle ,will thoroughly enjoy visiting P.R., on their bikes.A highly recommended ride. With fabulous views ,as a reward,When the summit is reached.

Ah, C. H. It certainly is ,by some distance.55555555. However, Phanom Rung is quite deep inside Thailand , is not disputed by Cambodia, and is therefore 100% safe to visit ,at any time. It is a long way from any of the last skirmish, which was centred on Surin (mainly) and Si Sa Ket Provinces, Not Buriram .By the way, those who cycle ,will thoroughly enjoy visiting P.R., on their bikes.A highly recommended ride. With fabulous views ,as a reward,When the summit is reached.

I have been to Ankor.... If it's safe in Panom Rung,Surin... I am thinking ........thnx for the info..

I have been to Ankor.... If it's safe in Panom Rung,Surin... I am thinking ........thnx for the info..

Phanom Rung is in Buriram.

And you have to be incredibly fit to get to it on a bicycle.

Second Army Region Commander to Meet with Cambodian Counterpart

The Second Army Region admits that the fighting has continued around Ta Kwai Temple, killing a Thai soldier and injuring three others.

Meanwhile, the army will meet with its Cambodian counterpart today to negotiate for a ceasefire.

Spokesperson of the Second Army Region Colonel Prawit Hukaew reported that at around 9 P.M. last night, fighting broke out along the Thai-Cambodian border near Ta Kwai Temple.

According to Prawit, the Cambodian soldiers fired small arms rounds into Thailand, after which the Thai army responded appropriately.

The clash ended at around 10 P.M., with no reports of casualties.

There has been no fighting around Ta Muen Tom Temple.

The Second Army Region spokesperson added that at 10 P.M., the army will meet with the Cambodian counterpart to prevent future clashes in the area.

Prawit expressed confidence that the two armies will be able to reach an understanding.

However, the press has reported that a Thai soldier was killed and three more were injured in last night's clashes.

Thai residents in the area have been relocated to the evacuation center.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-05-03

footer_n.gif

I do it regularly by motorcy - and that is bloody scary going downhill.

Come to think of it the motorcy whines a bit when going up the mountain.

Any form of transport will work hard , that's for sure . My Etan is down to first gear on a couple of climbs. It is quite dangerous , coming . back down .What the Thais don't realise is you should use the lowest gear you used going up to come back down. They don't and rely on their brakes, which have been known to overheat and burn out, rendering them useless. With sometimes deadly serious accidents. Be that as it may , it certainly is well worth visiting. Tragedy is, many Bangkok or non-Isarn Farang ,consider it beneath their dignity to visit Isarn. Sad.

I do it regularly by motorcy - and that is bloody scary going downhill.

Come to think of it the motorcy whines a bit when going up the mountain.

right on right on

exuberant ..........indeed...

Sorry i just skimmed afarang's post..... I missed "Not Buriram".....

L/O/L/, All is forgiven,D2012. The cease fire is looking good .No artillery for 4 days now. Maybe still some local small arms fire ,but even that appears to have stopped. No more reports of any today. It appears most evacuees in Buriram province have gone home. Heres hoping